Do You Still Get Angry?

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
tidathep

Re: Do You Still Get Angry?

Post by tidathep »

reddust wrote:tidathep :thanks:
Tidathep, I'm checking out your site! Can you send me a link?

I was calm and cool as a cucumber, not one curse at the hawk and I wished Blonde a swift journey.[/quote]
Dear Reddust...my SD link : http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sari ... ages/23152

I feel bad for your hen...me too, I try to think of it as kamma/nature.. whenever I watch 'Documentary films' about animals...they always fight/kill ...animals..they live on instinct.

I think red-hair people are pretty :thumbsup:
tidathep :heart: your dhamma stories..very new to me..never read them before.
reddust

Post by reddust »

tidathep wrote::
tidathep :heart: your dhamma stories..very new to me..never read them before.
Thank you for your link, I bookmarked it!

The red heads suffer from genetic weakness besides having crazy energy, so we have to watch their diet, lots of dark greens to help with mineral uptake to protect their skin, eyes, and connective tissues. Plus they need more pain killers for some reason. My daughter went in for dental and the dentist had to give her twice as much pain killer, same with surgery.

Blonde will be feeding lots of bugs and plants, her legacy continues on....Nature is indifferent to life and death, it just rolls on no matter what happens. For some reason that gives me comfort when I feel sad. Look at nature, things are born and die all the time but life continues on. Kind of like the sun shining on us, we think, "sun you are too hot or not warm enough," but the sun does not care, it just shines on. :thumbsup:

Tadathep, the story I started this thread was not correct. I should research more before I post. Here is the correct one. If you read, you'll see they are pretty close regarding the message. Same story told in different ways.
I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Rajagaha in the Bamboo Grove, the Squirrels’ Sanctuary. Then the brahman Akkosaka Bharadvaja heard that a brahman of the Bharadvaja clan had gone forth from the home life into homelessness in the presence of the Blessed One. Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him: “What do you think, brahman: Do friends & colleagues, relatives & kinsmen come to you as guests?”

“Yes, Master Gotama, sometimes friends & colleagues, relatives & kinsmen come to me as guests.”

“And what do you think: Do you serve them with staple & non-staple foods & delicacies?”

“Yes, sometimes I serve them with staple & non-staple foods & delicacies.”

“And if they don’t accept them, to whom do those foods belong?”

“If they don’t accept them, Master Gotama, those foods are all mine.”

“In the same way, brahman, that with which you have insulted me, who is not insulting; that with which you have taunted me, who is not taunting; that with which you have berated me, who is not berating: that I don’t accept from you. It’s all yours, brahman. It’s all yours.

“Whoever returns insult to one who is insulting, returns taunts to one who is taunting, returns a berating to one who is berating, is said to be eating together, sharing company, with that person. But I am neither eating together nor sharing your company, brahman. It’s all yours. It’s all yours.”
http://www.fakebuddhaquotes.com/fake-bu ... rytelling/
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

reddust wrote:The red heads suffer from genetic weakness besides having crazy energy, so we have to watch their diet, lots of dark greens to help with mineral uptake to protect their skin, eyes, and connective tissues. Plus they need more pain killers for some reason. My daughter went in for dental and the dentist had to give her twice as much pain killer, same with surgery.
http://www.fakebuddhaquotes.com/fake-bu ... rytelling/
-----------
Dear Reddust,

Thanks for telling me about "the red heads"....I never have any red head friend...but my daughter had..her name is Tammy..she's quite cute/long curly hair. .her parents love to hunt.

And also thanks for....Master Tam: 107... http://www.ymba.org/books/thus-have-i-h ... s/parables...I love many stories there !!

tidathep :thanks:
mossy

Post by mossy »

Yeah, but my anger has changed. Before i became Buddhist when i got angry i would hold onto the anger and take it out on myself by drinking. Now i don't hold the anger, or drink. I just let it pass by.
sunguru4

Post by sunguru4 »

at times i do get angry :crazy:
tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon »

I don't get angry anymore..... and I'll fight anybody who calls me a liar! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :jedi:

Only joking! I'm an angry man and often times insect murderer. :( :emb:
"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself."
- Rumi
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

Besides everytime i watch a soccer match of my team i do not get MUCH anger. I mean, i dont get all read and agitated but yes, anger arisis in my mind. =)
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

Besides everytime i watch a soccer match of my team i do not get MUCH anger. I mean, i dont get all read and agitated but yes, anger arisis in my mind. =)
antiquebuddhas

Post by antiquebuddhas »

reddust wrote:I was going to post this story before the Marriage article….it's closer to my heart :twisted:
Upekkha.jpg
One day Buddha was walking through a village. A very angry and rude young man came up and began insulting him. “You have no right teaching others,” he shouted. “You are as stupid as everyone else. You are nothing but a fake.” Buddha was not upset by these insults. Instead he asked the young man “Tell me, if you buy a gift for someone, and that person does not take it, to whom does the gift belong?” The man was surprised to be asked such a strange question and answered, “It would belong to me, because I bought the gift.” The Buddha smiled and said, “That is correct. And it is exactly the same with your anger. If you become angry with me and I do not get insulted, then the anger falls back on you. You are then the only one who becomes unhappy, not me. All you have done is hurt yourself.” “If you want to stop hurting yourself, you must get rid of your anger and become loving instead. When you hate others, you yourself become unhappy. But when you love others, everyone is happy.”

This was one of my first Dharma stories years ago, I still remember it as if it was yesterday :tongue:
Beautiful !!!!
It was my first time reading this stories.
"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared." Lord Buddha
maybay

Post by maybay »

I get angry when I place my faith in someone and they repeatedly betray it. Other than that I don't get angry.

On the plus side it has brought me to a new understanding of compassion. Where before I just thought of compassion in terms of suffering, now I think also we can have compassion for people who don't know who they are. When someone betrays my trust in them, they are not suffering in my eyes, but they are causing suffering for themselves and others. They are ignorant of their potential, and thats very sad to see. Nobody likes being pitied though, so I take care not to incite their baleful games with condescension. But having gone through such a gauntlet of thoughts, my resemblance to someone plotting revenge is striking, and i almost desperately seek to allay their fears. No act of desperation ever allayed anyones fears. In the end it all appears as a great drama, where no one is hurt, and it is through the drama that we discover who we are. So thats how I deal with that anger that comes up sometimes.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
Punya

Post by Punya »

Even when someone I have helped,
Or in whom I have placed great hopes
Mistreats me very unjustly,
I will view that person as a true spiritual teacher.

In brief, directly or indirectly,
I will offer help and happiness to all my mothers,
And secretly take upon myself
All their hurt and suffering.
From Eight Verses of Training the Mind, Geshe Langri Thangpa
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

still get angry but much less extreme now since founding buddhism some years back.
AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod »

Rakz wrote:still get angry but much less extreme now since founding buddhism some years back.
Holy crap! You're the Buddha?
Relax! Smile From The Heart!
There is a difference between the Mundane and the Transcendental. If you purposefully confuse them, I will ignore you, you nihilist.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace. There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge. There is no Passion, there is Serenity. There is no Death, there is the Force.
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

AlexMcLeod wrote:
Rakz wrote:still get angry but much less extreme now since founding buddhism some years back.
Holy crap! You're the Buddha?
shhhhhhhhhhhhh ;)
Footsteps

Post by Footsteps »

The head nun of my temple had the police called on her for loosing her temper at a post office.

The head monk/abbot of my temple sited several things that made him angry, including left-lane lockers, and those who failed to recognize the tax-exempt non-profit status of the temple when purchasing goods, especially those from who where regular buyers.

I am not exempt from the idea that a monk or a nun can get angry. And when I see a lay person attempting to convey that they no longer get angry, I see an individual in a state of denial.

Remember,

If Ghandi was not upset about the state of the world in South Africa, he would not have done as he had. And he would not have benefitted the people.

If the Buddha was content about the teachings he had heard about suffering prior to becoming a Buddha, he may never have become a Buddha...

Discontent does not make an aspirant less spiritual.
"Don't interrupt the mountains or the lake."

Return to “Dharma Stories”