Do You Still Get Angry?

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
LastLegend

Re: Do You Still Get Angry?

Post by LastLegend »

It's ok you can swear out loud once in awhile. :lol:
It’s eye blinking.
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

reddust wrote:
So a large part of my practice the last 10 years has been working in a sangha, setting up teachings and retreats. Working with other people in a sangha setting really helped me calm down. For some reason, for me anyway Sangha for layfolk is like a pressure cooker :D
-------------
Dear Reddust,

tidathep :namaste:
reddust

Post by reddust »

Beautiful pictures Tidathep and thank you kindly. I think one of the best antidotes for anger is kindness :heart:
This has come down from old, Atula, & not just from today: they find fault with one who sits silent, they find fault with one who speaks a great deal, they find fault with one who measures his words. There's no one unfaulted in the world. There never was, will be, nor at present is found anyone entirely faulted or entirely praised.
From the Dhammapada on Anger....
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
muni

Post by muni »

reddust wrote:Beautiful pictures Tidathep and thank you kindly. I think one of the best antidotes for anger is kindness :heart:
This has come down from old, Atula, & not just from today: they find fault with one who sits silent, they find fault with one who speaks a great deal, they find fault with one who measures his words. There's no one unfaulted in the world. There never was, will be, nor at present is found anyone entirely faulted or entirely praised.
"There's no one unfaulted in the world. There never was, will be, nor at present is found anyone entirely faulted or entirely praised".

This looks for me to point to the ones we think to be or the ones we think to percieve. As long as we hold on such ideas; to be really this or that or to see such or such one, so long harm by anger can be experienced.

Kindness. :smile: Boundless. Beyond discrimination.
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

reddust wrote: I think one of the best antidotes for anger is kindness :heart:
--------------
Dear Reddust,

I agree with you 100%.
We can't let anger/hatred eat our hearts. Once I hated somebody so much I had to find a new job, everytime I had to fly with him, I wanted to throw up..I was only 21 back then...I can't believe I could hate/angry at someone that much...will never happen again!!

I'll post Dhamma stories about anger..more...soon.

tidathep :reading:
reddust

Post by reddust »

muni wrote:
"There's no one unfaulted in the world. There never was, will be, nor at present is found anyone entirely faulted or entirely praised".

This looks for me to point to the ones we think to be or the ones we think to percieve. As long as we hold on such ideas; to be really this or that or to see such or such one, so long harm by anger can be experienced.

Kindness. :smile: Boundless. Beyond discrimination.
One of my first insights were that words are empty and cannot hurt me, of course I hadn't experienced that yet in meditation, seeing how I am many things that don't seem to care one way or another what other people say. My hair, skin, ear, eye, nose, tongue, guts, blood, bile, don't react with anger when something mean is said. Why do I react with anger if none of my parts do? My teacher told me most folk don't know that, that's why we must be kind and compassionate. However, that didn't stop me from reacting to hurtful words, but at least I could keep my mouth shut and refrain from saying something hurtful in response. I still struggle with getting my feelings hurt...it's a long process to break this habit.

Kindness with wisdom, boundless, beyond discrimination is something I want to truly experience, not just say the words before I die :namaste:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
shel

Post by shel »

I never get angry online. It's just so many words, most of which aren't true anyway. Nevertheless, people react to some of my words in anger and hit the report button. Go figure! :shrug:
muni

Post by muni »

reddust wrote:
One of my first insights were that words are empty and cannot hurt me, of course I hadn't experienced that yet in meditation, seeing how I am many things that don't seem to care one way or another what other people say. My hair, skin, ear, eye, nose, tongue, guts, blood, bile, don't react with anger when something mean is said. Why do I react with anger if none of my parts do? My teacher told me most folk don't know that, that's why we must be kind and compassionate. However, that didn't stop me from reacting to hurtful words, but at least I could keep my mouth shut and refrain from saying something hurtful in response. I still struggle with getting my feelings hurt...it's a long process to break this habit.

Kindness with wisdom, boundless, beyond discrimination is something I want to truly experience, not just say the words before I die :namaste:
I find this analysis very useful, to look to parts of the phenomena what we call body. As I have a lot of experience in anger ( have few medales, but keep it quiete), in the same way as with the body parts one can do with the feelings - thoughts. To identify our being with thoughts ( passing energy) as being ours and so without we are aware off it, grasping is already and feelings - disturbed emotions flow in all directions. This is like a cooking pot and the lid of the pot cannot hold it anymore and there it blows the emotions around, by the identification of me-mine. Aware of thoughts, allows them freedom, free flow. Like awareness watching the river flowing, so the flowing thoughts. ( when there is identification with thoughts, there is me/mine and by that arises others who need a good blow to protect me/mine while what we are is awareness itself, so is there been told.)

Yes whatever words are thrown upon us, sweet or awfull, we can imagine to write them in nice calligraphy on water and the water is directly explaining their value. While remaining mindful ourselves, as Buddha said that “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” And “ A tongue as sharp as a knife kills without blood”.

It should help as well to realize that those who are harming are victim of own temporary obscuration and so we as well when overwhelmed by anger. It is like our perfect children temporary in a sick state. ( metaphor for they don't know) All this is very easy to say but remaining aware of movements of mind can avoid conditioned actions and suffering and so burned. I think it is an example how our own dusturbed mind is the one to purify to see it is already pure without obscurations. Like a window cleaned of the dust.
Buddha wasn’t shooting arrows on mara in different forms, was watching inside, aware of the movements of mind. Not easy for sure, but by the grace of his teaching, we are supported.

Lots of babbling. Wishing a nice day.
:namaste:
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

muni wrote: Yes whatever words are thrown upon us, sweet or awfull, we can imagine to write them in nice calligraphy on water and the water is directly explaining their value. While remaining mindful ourselves, as Buddha said that “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” And “ A tongue as sharp as a knife kills without blood”.

It should help as well to realize that those who are harming are victim of own temporary obscuration and so we as well when overwhelmed by anger. :namaste:

--------------
Dear Muni,

Love love your post :heart:
When I was young...whenever I did/said something wrong...my mom would give me silent treatment for a day. And I become like her automaticly...but the hurt-words still linger in my mind...sad but true!

muni

Post by muni »

tidathep wrote:...but the hurt-words still linger in my mind...sad but true!

:namaste: Dear Tidathep,

I recognize that.

We can also put attention on something others as soon as these words appear in mind, as words has no any power when our mind is not giving them attention by other thoughts.

Or mindfulness is watching without comments by other thoughts, like we watch a soapbell disappearing in the open sky. By merely watching, they cannot remain. But by following thoughts giving attention to the painful words, they get power and flow into feelings.
Ha, now I remember this teaching: they are like travellers who are passing. They are free to go. As unnecessary thoughts/words should not steal or destroy our inner peace.

The Vietnamese master Thich Nhat Hanh gave a practice like this : by our mindfulness we embrace the sadness inside of us, like we embrace a sad child.

I am sure many recognize the example you give.

:smile:
reddust

Post by reddust »

tidathep wrote: I agree with you 100%.
We can't let anger/hatred eat our hearts. Once I hated somebody so much I had to find a new job, everytime I had to fly with him, I wanted to throw up..I was only 21 back then...I can't believe I could hate/angry at someone that much...will never happen again!!

I'll post Dhamma stories about anger..more...soon.

I had that with jealousy, I've never hated painfully, but my anger, not just anger, rage, which caused me much pain. I had a jealousy attack with my husband that lasted about six months. It was awful, I had never felt that before, I do not want to feel it again. It's really hard not to act on those strong emotions, I used it for my meditation object. Took some time but it dissolved away. My husband also had jealousy problems, we worked on it together. It was a painful but awesome adventure!
reddust

Post by reddust »

muni wrote:
It should help as well to realize that those who are harming are victim of own temporary obscuration and so we as well when overwhelmed by anger. It is like our perfect children temporary in a sick state. ( metaphor for they don't know) All this is very easy to say but remaining aware of movements of mind can avoid conditioned actions and suffering and so burned. I think it is an example how our own dusturbed mind is the one to purify to see it is already pure without obscurations. Like a window cleaned of the dust.
Buddha wasn’t shooting arrows on mara in different forms, was watching inside, aware of the movements of mind. Not easy for sure, but by the grace of his teaching, we are supported.

Lots of babbling. Wishing a nice day.
This is what saved my life when I was a kid and being abused. I could clearly see this in the adults who were hurting me. However that did not stop the deep conditioning I had to deal with as an adult. But it did help me not hate my abusers.

Very well said and thank you for posting this :namaste:
SeekerNo1000003

Post by SeekerNo1000003 »

Great story! Thank you for sharing.
reddust

Post by reddust »

SeekerNo1000003 wrote:Great story! Thank you for sharing.
Your are welcome :namaste:
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

muni wrote: We can also put attention on something others as soon as these words appear in mind, as words has no any power when our mind is not giving them attention by other thoughts.

:smile:
---------------
Dear Muni,

I'm ok now...2-3 days...and the songs/movies will erase all the bad things in my mind....strange mind..I have strange mind indeed!! :tongue:

Love your kind words :thanks:
tidathep :anjali:
muni

Post by muni »

tidathep wrote: Love your kind words
Thanks for teaching me kindness, dear Tidathep. It is great medicine.

:anjali:
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

muni wrote:
tidathep wrote: Love your kind words
Thanks for teaching me kindness, dear Tidathep. It is great medicine.

:anjali:
-------------
Dear Muni,

Me..teach you kindness??? ....I think you're the one who teach me :namaste:

Yes...KINDNESS is great medicine...(But... I love Bon Jovi's Bad Medicine too...funny/cute song.)

tidathep
muni

Post by muni »

tidathep wrote:
Yes...KINDNESS is great medicine...(But... I love Bon Jovi's Bad Medicine too...funny/cute song.)

tidathep
Really, Tidathep behaviour is teaching. I am blah blah-ing.
Our behaviour by kindness is so important 'to not lose ourselves'. I heard people expressing that to not lose ourselves when they mean becoming angry. Like losing mindfulness.

Zen Master Doc:

While buttoning my jacket
I hope that all beings
Will keep their heart warm
And not lose themselves.

dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Do You Still Get Angry?
No!

I resent that question.
reddust

Post by reddust »

dharmagoat wrote:
Do You Still Get Angry?
No!

I resent that question.
Stop screwing with my head, it hurts to think that through :thinking:

Return to “Dharma Stories”