Do You Still Get Angry?

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
dharmagoat

Re: Do You Still Get Angry?

Post by dharmagoat »

reddust wrote:
dharmagoat wrote:
Do You Still Get Angry?
No!

I resent that question.
Stop screwing with my head, it hurts to think that through :thinking:
:heart: :guns: :heart:

:anjali:
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Locked for clean up. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Gassho,
Seishin
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Topic unlocked. :smile:
shel

Post by shel »

Did I miss the posts that expressed anger? Can't allow that to be shown on a Buddhist forum. :tongue:
reddust

Post by reddust »

What did I miss? :lol:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

muni wrote: Zen Master Doc:

While buttoning my jacket
I hope that all beings
Will keep their heart warm
And not lose themselves.

:namaste:
----------------
Dear Muni/Reddust

I see this cute picture ...and I think it fits your poem:

----------
And I must say that I love love Reddust's new avatar....so lovely. I'm still waiting to see your Kisa-Gotami painting ...I have a Buddha's poem to put into the painting and will post it right here @Dharma Wheel and then @ my webs(SD/JTN) and facebook.

Truly appreciate :thanks:
tidathep :namaste:
reddust

Post by reddust »

tidathep wrote: And I must say that I love love Reddust's new avatar....so lovely. I'm still waiting to see your Kisa-Gotami painting ...I have a Buddha's poem to put into the painting and will post it right here @Dharma Wheel and then @ my webs(SD/JTN) and facebook.

Truly appreciate :thanks:
Dear Tidathep,

I would rather have an Avatar as a bug, that's one of my jewel bug water colored paintings covered in dew as my new avatar. And thank you for your kindness, my face felt very happy :D Poor face is getting old and saggy, it is good for me to look at my aging once in awhile, helps me let go of my body as me. Aging doesn't get me angry. It's nice to know I won't be here forever, it's very hard to be in a body that is constantly changing.

I'm working on rough drafts of several projects including the Weaver Woman. I had a dream were a Monster who befriended me who's energy is female, she told me to stay alert and walk with care right now, so I am going to paint her, what a kind Monster! I don't get angry over this, more like frustrated I can't draw what I see in my minds eye.

Kisa-Gotami will be started this Feb. Working from images in dreams is so hard. My dream paintings turn out looking like cartoons. I'm practicing on drawing human form so my paintings won't look so cartoonish. That's what I will be doing till the end of the month. I actually had to buy more pencils and tools because I used up all my drawing practice supplies. I'm not that good at drawing out what I see in my imagination, its frustrating and I need lots of patience with myself. If I have a model it is much easier for me to draw.

I will have Kisa-Gotami drawing on 300lb hotpress cotton paper before Mid Feb. I can't push out the work very fast like other artist. I like to practice, practice, and practice some more!

Much metta,
Lisa
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

[quote="reddust"][
Dear Tidathep,

I would rather have an Avatar as a bug, that's one of my jewel bug water colored paintings covered in dew as my new avatar. And thank you for your kindness, my face felt very happy :D Poor face is getting old and saggy, it is good for me to look at my aging once in awhile, helps me let go of my body as me. Aging doesn't get me angry. It's nice to know I won't be here forever, it's very hard to be in a body that is constantly changing.
--------
Dear Reddust....I read a preaching of a famous supermonk in Thailand that ...one should not be happy to be animal especially before he/she about to die..because he/she will be reborn as animal that he/she love...(I think of you as a kalayanamitta...That's why I'm telling you...I want you to always reborn as human-being/angel.)
Kisa-Gotami will be started this Feb. Working from images in dreams is so hard. My dream paintings turn out looking like cartoons. I'm practicing on drawing human form so my paintings won't look so cartoonish. That's what I will be doing till the end of the month. I actually had to buy more pencils and tools because I used up all my drawing practice supplies. I'm not that good at drawing out what I see in my imagination, its frustrating and I need lots of patience with myself. If I have a model it is much easier for me to draw.
--------------
I didn't mean to rush you about the painting....whenever finish..fine with me...I think you are a very talented artist..and I disagree with you about not having your lovely picture as your avatar...You look like a friend I knew in Ohio...she's from Blue Ridge Mountain, half white/have native Indian...she's quite pretty/slender..she showed me how to do Indian-dances (including 'rain dance')..we had so much fun....I miss her!

*****There are many paintings about Dhammapada stories....just type ..Buddhist painting pictures.. @ yahoo/google....you'll see so many to use as MODEL.

Sincerely :thanks:
reddust

Post by reddust »

Dear Tidathep,

I promise I won't think about bugs when I am dying and I won't get angry. I think getting angry about dying is worse than wanting to be a bug. Under the all the negative emotions is fear from what I've seen in meditation. When I looked past the fear all I saw was awareness of looking past the fear...hahha :namaste:

But I don't want to be a bug, I just love to look at them, I think they are prettier than I, especially the multi-colored beetles, like: Metallic Jewel Bug -Scutiphora pedicellata

I am invited to several Pow Wows this coming summer to learn how to dance and meet my cousins. I wish you could go with me. It would be so wonderful to dance together!
reddust

Post by reddust »

Maybe this is why so many people are getting headaches lately :tongue:

MIND-POWER (BLACKSMITH'S DAUGHTER)

"Young and widowed, a French physician travelled to the countryside to allay his sorrow. One day, when he was staying at a blacksmith's house, he was touched by the beauty of his host's daughter. He told her about his widowhood and, seeking her hand in marriage, obtained the consent of her parents. However, before the wedding could take place, he began to co-habit with her. Shortly thereafter, he left for the city. Seeing his daughter pregnant and growing heavier and heavier by the day, with the culprit no more in sight than the wings of a redbird in flight, the blacksmith reflected on the fact that he was too poor and isolated to sue successfully. He therefore tried to relieve his anger and frustration by striking his hammer against its iron stand each evening, while shouting the name of the physician, wishing to blow his head apart. Unbeknownst to him, in the faraway city, each evening at five o'clock, the physician would grab his head and scream in pain. He tried every known remedy without success. Some time afterward, a friend of the doctor, on a visit to the countryside, happened to pass the blacksmith's shop one evening and overheard the striking hammer and the swearing. He went in to inquire and having understood the whole story, deduced the cause of his friend's predicament. Upon returning to the city, he urged the physician to make amends by marrying the blacksmith's daughter. As might be expected, after the wedding, the physician's strange symptoms disappeared.

Thus, we can see the unseen power of the mind. If we realize the significance of the above story and sincerely vow to recite Amitabha Buddha's name, why worry about failing to get a response?"

Master Tam: 107
http://www.ymba.org/books/thus-have-i-h ... s/parables
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

reddust wrote:Dear Tidathep,

But I don't want to be a bug, I just love to look at them, I think they are prettier than I, especially the multi-colored beetles, like: Metallic Jewel Bug -Scutiphora pedicellata
--------
Dear Reddust...In Bangkok...there are so many "Metallic Jewel Bugs" ..especially in the big ponds full of 'Water-crest plants'..these bugs love to eat Water-crest leaves...I can't find the pictures of these bugs...much more beautiful than ordinary beetles that I see in USA.
---------------
I am invited to several Pow Wows this coming summer to learn how to dance and meet my cousins. I wish you could go with me. It would be so wonderful to dance together!
----
Oh..I wish to dance with you at the Pow Wows so much...must be fun fun fun !!! By the way...I love your story: MIND-POWER (BLACKSMITH'S DAUGHTER)....and I posted @ Sariputtadhamma...my website.

tidathep :thanks:
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Yes.
I've noticed that the feeling at first that my temper flares up "out of nowhere" is mistaken.
There are lots of little annoyed and impatient thoughts throughout the day that snowball.
Some are obviously hateful, others are more subtle and take a lot of mindfulness to notice at all, like "ugh another distraction" or "what the hell was I doing again?"
I don't know where the big ones come from, probably past angry habits still petering out. I still experience some shockingly violent thoughts.
Like chunks of coal mixed with sand, they aren't any less flammable from being amongst the sand, even if it's just one in an entire beach of sand.
I can go for a long time without an outburst, but I know when I see one to avoid open flames :P
Otherwise, not only does the anger hurt more than it used to, but it crumbles and multiplies, giving me even more coal to be careful with.
It's one of my resolutions for this year, to respond to the momentum of anger in a different way.

The same qualities seem to be present in desirous feelings like lust, but unlike anger which burns so we want to get rid of it, pleasure feels so nice ;)
Namu Amida Butsu
shel

Post by shel »

I wants to dance the pow wows 2. :rolling:
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

shel wrote:I wants to dance the pow wows 2. :rolling:
----------
Cliff Richard - Do You Wanna Dance? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE8uHlB73fI
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

jeeprs wrote:Well - yes! Maybe not so much as previously, but still...and my family always says 'not very Buddhist of you' whenever I do, which makes it even more annoying.
Jeepers!
Although I have noticed that there is a definite increase in equanimity from meditation practice.
Shamata suppresses negative emotions like anger and also shines the spotlight of awareness. Vipashyana cuts negative emotions.
So I will still get annoyed by traffic incidents and things, but I don't have that kind of formless "bad temper" that I used to have frequently earlier in life. Generally speaking there is more equanimity, but I don't know how it would hold up if there was a big drama. :shrug:
Me too. I at least don't get angry everyday as I used to. I unfortunately do know how I might react in a big drama. Sometimes it's equanimous, sometimes not. So it's always something to be aware of.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
reddust

Post by reddust »

A BAG OF NAILS

Once upon a time there was a little boy with a bad temper. His father gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, he should hammer a nail in the fence. The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. But gradually, the number of daily nails dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence.

Finally the first day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all. He proudly told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper. The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone. The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence.

"You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one. You can put a knife in a man and draw it out, it won't matter how many times you say 'I'm sorry', the wound is still there." :heart:
shel

Post by shel »

Hence the term holey man. :tongue:
Punya

Post by Punya »

duckfiasco wrote: I don't know where the big ones come from, probably past angry habits still petering out.
There is a very useful teaching which I heard from Dzigar Kongtrul that allows us to take a closer look at this knee-jerk pattern of moving away from being present. This is the teaching on Shenpa. Generally the Tibetan word Shenpa is translated as 'attachment' but that has always seemed to abstract to me as it doesn't touch the magnitude of Shenpa and the effect it has on us. An alternative translation might be 'hooked' what it feels like to be hooked - what it feels like to be stuck...

Shenpa is not the thoughts or emotions per se. Shenpa is pre-verbal but the breeds thoughts and emotions very quickly. If we're attentative we can feel it happening. If we catch it when it first arises, when it's just a tightening, a slight pulling back, a feeling of beginning to get hot under the collar, it's very workable. Then we have a possibility of becoming curious about this habitual thing.

Taking the Leap, Pema Chodron

I'm not there yet either duckfiasco but this book has some great stuff about anger and how to deal with it. It might help with your new year's resolution. :smile:
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

reddust wrote:A BAG OF NAILS

:heart:
--------
Dear Reddust,

I love this story and copied/posted @my webs.
I better not get angry..because I'm such a bad hammer...everytime I try to hammer a nail...I hit my finger instead.

reddust

Post by reddust »

tidathep wrote:
reddust wrote:A BAG OF NAILS

:heart:
--------
Dear Reddust,

I love this story and copied/posted @my webs.
I better not get angry..because I'm such a bad hammer...everytime I try to hammer a nail...I hit my finger instead.

Tidathep, I'm checking out your site! Can you send me a link? I made a lot of holes pulling out those nails years ago. I didn't nail fences though I put nails in my family with my temper. I made amends after I let my anger go in my mid 30s. My kids and I learned how to do this together, I set the example and lead. They all seem to be very happy adults with amazing families now because they learned with me how to let go of anger. My red headed daughter has the hardest time still, we blame it on her hair. She also has a little red head with an amazing temper. My granddaughter seems to have an easier time dealing with her temper than her mother or grandmother. Maybe all our practice is paying off? Now I try very hard to keep my mouth shut and not spit nails! If I feel anger coming up I just listen without saying anything (really hard lesson for me to learn) or walk away. Totally puts a wet blanket on a heated argument Ha!

Yesterday we lost my favorite hen to a Red Tailed Hawk. Didn't get angry at all but I miss Blonde. I buried her under one of my raspberry bushes, Her rotting body will make the bugs and bushes very happy. The hawk didn't get her chicken, I don't think she got angry though, I knew the bird was female because she was huge. She flew off after I caught her eating Blonde's head. She will be back today looking for the body. I had to put the chickens in their closed pens. They didn't seem to mind, they are all shook up after seeing one of their mates eaten. No more free ranging for a couple weeks.

I was calm and cool as a cucumber, not one curse at the hawk and I wished Blonde a swift journey.

Return to “Dharma Stories”