The Dharma has brought me joy

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
Redfaery

The Dharma has brought me joy

Post by Redfaery »

Before Sarasvati brought me to the Dharma, I had no idea what I was doing. I just followed her. Yet I knew she was taking me somewhere. I poked Hinduism, but always got back a resounding NO from her. No, she was saying. That is not for you. Try this over here. And she would prod me towards Buddhism, but I resisted. Then I bought an anthology of Buddhist texts, and began poking around in it. The first selection I read was the Kasyapa chapter from the Pile of Jewels sutra.

The introduction to this selection explained emptiness in Mahayana terms. And...I felt such joy upon reading about it, I knew that I was Buddhist. I knew. Since then, I've been to Japan, I've gotten my hands into lots of other texts, and I've deepened my relationship with Sarasvati. But the Dharma still brings me joy, for I know that I have found something with true meaning. No matter what else comes and goes in my life or my next, I will always come back to the Dharma.

:namaste:
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: The Dharma has brought me joy

Post by Ayu »

I'm able to relate to what you are telling. :namaste:

For me, coming on the buddhist path of Dharma was similar. Exept, I was not in Japan but in India. Visiting a museum, I could stay in front of the ancient Buddha statues forever. The older, the deeper they were, I could sense that.
Also I found a personal relationship to a cerain buddhist deity - but also I found out I should not talk about it. Talking reduces the power and connection. That's why I can not share this here.
But also I've got little connection to Sarasvati. There is an image of her in our bands rehearsal room for to help in our music.

Redfaery

Post by Redfaery »

Thank you for the lovely picture. :namaste:

Ah, I understand what you are saying about your deity. It is simply that I often feel obligated in the other direction - I must give Sarasvati the credit for the things she has done for me, or else I am being ungrateful. Still, there are some things that I have experienced with Sarasvati that I simply do not share with anyone, and mostly I keep my experiences to myself. But She does not mind me talking about our relationship to people who would understand it and not belittle it, which is why I still identify so heavily with the Pagan community. There are plenty of people there that have their own special relationships with gods, and like me, they tend to see them as very personal.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

I think my first encounter was through Alan watts. Of course back then to me what he described offered comfort more than anything.

I always wanted to tread my own path and scoffed at organized religion. Then through tnh's books I learned the joyfulness of the practice. Once that wore off and I was stuck with the "work". It was the teachings on emptiness which convinced me wholeheartedly.

:namaste:
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Malang

Post by Malang »

I remember when i stumbled unto buddhism, it was a similar feeling it felt like picking up something i had forgotten, ive tried to practice since then :)

Return to “Dharma Stories”