Fearlessness

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
joy&peace

Fearlessness

Post by joy&peace »

If there is any one word in Buddhism which is the most liberating, it is probably fearlessness. When people have no fear - they cannot be manipulated.

In the Vimalakirtinirdesa sutra, it is beautifully expressed; 'having attained control over good and bad influences,' etc., and achieved fearlessness, mentioned several places.

Indeed, there is no cause for worry, fear or doubt - no matter what may happen, in an immeasurable number of kalpas. Why? Because there is nothing which is born - nothing which dies;

As Gelek Rimpoche mentions in his commentary on Shantideva's Bodhisattvacarya, even suffering is seen to be illusory in the ultimate realm--

as I have often shared - this does not mean it is okay to hurt a fly, or to swat a mosquito.

Taking a little time each day - to meditate, to feel peace - to breathe mindfully, is very helpful and good. It helps very much on the path of peace -- and it is not just for ourselves, but for all living beings.

Indeed, the universality of this is very beautiful, and very sensible. Every person is my mother, father, brother or sister -- in this way, I understand they are important, valued, living beings,

As i develop this loving-kindness for myself, to begin with.

To quote Thay,

'Love is the capacity to take care, to protect, to nourish. If you are not capable of generating that kind of energy toward yourself- if you are not capable of taking care of yourself, of nourishing yourself, of protecting yourself- it is very difficult to take care of another person. In the Buddhist teaching, it's clear that to love oneself is the foundation of the love of other people. Love is a practice. Love is truly a practice.' [Shambhala Sun March 2006 ]

a good page: http://www.katinkahesselink.net/tibet/T ... ove-q.html

As Buddha said, there is no one more deserving of love than you yourself. It is also the most expedient, and healing, way of transforming anger, that I have experienced;

Paraphrased:
'I would not look at anger as something apart from you; it is part of you, and to take care of it, with love and tenderness, is very useful for healing from ti.' - also Thay

Ah, yes - I have strayed from the topic of fearlessness slightly. I wished to share a short story of my own life. When I was 17, I had a friend leave this world, a good friend from work, his name was Sammy. He was one year younger than me, a beloved friend, of Mexican descent. Sammy departed, and it was one of the first times I had a close experience with this.

I felt sadness - and I allowed myself to experience this -- I opened myself up to it fully, and went into it fully -- and at the very base of it, I had a wonderful realization. . .

At the very heart of my sadness, I had a sudden realization - Death and Life are the same. Life transforms, but it doesn't cease -- in the same way that energy and light transforms.

Now - as everything arising ceases, we understand the universe itself is merely here for a moment - the whole universe is transitory. . .This is Buddhist teaching. . . So even Sun, Moon, and earth -

are of the same nature, and this is beautiful -- it means we are the same as Sun, and Moon. Of the same nature. 'Sun is a Buddha, and Moon is also a Buddha,'

Thay said, and I often gazed at the moon while walking peacefully, listening to him speak, or listening to beloved Tara, and it was always a comfort,

beautiful, in the deepest sense.

Dharma path is a long journey, perhaps -- but it is Beautiful in the Beginning, Beautiful in the Middle, and Beautiful in the End; as Buddha said.

Even at the very beginning, there can be a great transformation - indeed, it is Beginner's Mind that we often refer to in Zen, as being the goal;

And so forth --

Yet let me wrap this up. . . briefly. To return to Sammy's lesson -- for me -- this was lovely -- how can I express what I felt?

It is not kind of proof, in the material sense -- not for coercing or persuading others -- it is a personal experience of beauty and love -- and, it was very true. For me - this was very certain... I was experiencing beauty and truth -- and I knew it to be true.

The only way I can express this accurately is to say I felt it, I felt it very clearly, that the two are the same -- and there is no cause for sadness.

Many years later I came across the beautiful book by Thay - ' No Death, No Fear, '

I have not read this yet, maybe many years down the road. . . I shall. . . yet to come across it, and experience just a bit of it - was very beautiful for me,

as I had had my own experience of something quite similar, those many years before, with Sammy.

I do recommend Thich Nhat Hanh as a wonderful Dharma teacher, for anyone who wishes -- Tara Brach as well; though I often devote my thoughts and words to Thay -- she was the most transforming teacher I have encountered, and I do consider her one of the most kind, wise, and patient people --

one can experience so much healing and transformation - as I recall reflecting, as I was early on expressing my gratitude for her Dharma teachings -

It is so wonderful and beautiful - so healing and transforming, because these are people who are completely devoted to Dharma, to wisdom, peace, and loving-kindness.

Spending time with them - hearing audio talks is a good way to connect with teachers - can be very wonderful; and I sincerely pray that all may find what is most helpful good to them - at the time when they need it - and the place when it is most needed.

'You are a miracle, and everything you touch could be a miracle.' - Thich Nhat Hanh.

Namaste,
and Peace.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
gloriasteinem

Re: Fearlessness

Post by gloriasteinem »

I think fearlessness is what leads activists in many countries in jail, I also think in ancient times there was no genuine jails but today there are. It is because everything in society is based on fear and even if you only declare to be fearless society will punish you. Today's society don't need heroes, except the barbarian muslim terrorists, today we have satellites, military equipment, political interventions in foreign countries so fearless heroes are not needed or even desired. In fact even abandonment of worldly matters as part of the bodhisattva path is not very desirable in large numbers, neither compassion for others. Meditation in order to be more work fit is required and acceptable to some extend so it is understood that you keep up primarily to it.

Fearlessness and compassion are subversive to social capitalist order that is based on fearful individualism.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Will reply to with my own words as well Dear Gloria,

But for now I wished to share this;

by Thay

from liberating ancestors

http://www.mindfulnessbell.org/wp/tag/l ... ancestors/

Much Love and Peace,

Happiness and perfect health, wished to all beings.

As G. Rimpoche wrote,

Ultimate love and compassion is the antiode for war and strife- paraphrased.

Namo Bhaisajya Guru,

Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate Bodhi Svaha

Stay strong and true,

Everyone in th' world.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Hello dear and beloved friend;

well my computer is being more cooperative today, so I was able to share what I wished, i shared it on this thread.

http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... ead#unread

Peace and love,
J.

Return to “Dharma Stories”