King Ajatasatru Bathed in Troughs of Butter and Sandal Wood

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
Zhen Li

King Ajatasatru Bathed in Troughs of Butter and Sandal Wood

Post by Zhen Li »

I am not sure where this appears outside of the Tibetan Vinaya Ksudraka, but in Buton's History of Indian and Tibetan Buddhism he relates how Mahakasyapa knew that when Ajatasatru heared of the Buddha's death he would surely die unless he was placed into first seven troughs of fresh butter and then a trough of sandal wood. This happens, the Bramin Varsaka acts as Kasyapa instructed him to, and the king indeed recovers. :jawdrop:

I thought this was very strange. Does anyone have any insight into what is going on here? Perhaps a commentary in Tibetan says something. Obermiller cites Vinayaksudraka Kg. HDUL. XI. 290-1.

Thanks
BuddhaFollower

Re: King Ajatasatru Bathed in Troughs of Butter and Sandal Wood

Post by BuddhaFollower »

I see sandalwood pop up in all sorts of places from the Yeshe Lama to Saiva texts.

Its a magical substance.
Just recognize the conceptualizing mind.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Zhen Li wrote:I am not sure where this appears outside of the Tibetan Vinaya Ksudraka, but in Buton's History of Indian and Tibetan Buddhism he relates how Mahakasyapa knew that when Ajatasatru heared of the Buddha's death he would surely die unless he was placed into first seven troughs of fresh butter and then a trough of sandal wood. This happens, the Bramin Varsaka acts as Kasyapa instructed him to, and the king indeed recovers. :jawdrop:

I thought this was very strange. Does anyone have any insight into what is going on here? Perhaps a commentary in Tibetan says something. Obermiller cites Vinayaksudraka Kg. HDUL. XI. 290-1.

Thanks

Fresh butter and sandalwood are both remedies for pitta illnesses.
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

I see, I never tried it.

Another interesting anecdote about bathing in Buton, Vasubandhu recited the Satasahasrika for 19 days while in a bath of oil.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Ayurvedics love their oil. :twothumbsup:

My Ayurvedic doc prescribes it for almost all of my vata uprisings.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Malcolm wrote:
Fresh butter and sandalwood are both remedies for pitta illnesses.
I should take a bath in some.

Kevin

Return to “Dharma Stories”