Chogyam Trungpa

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
HandsomeMonkeyking

Chogyam Trungpa

Post by HandsomeMonkeyking »

Being too young to have experienced it myself, I have often heard "bad stories", and then some very good ones about Chogyam Trungpa only recently.

Honestly I never started to read a book of him for the reason of the bad stories.

I wonder, what stuff did actually happen, and what made him such a controversial figure.

I learned now that one of my teachers speaks highly of him. In any regard I try not to judge or condemn or anything. Still I am curious of what was going on.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Re: Chogyam Trungpa

Post by Wayfarer »

You could do worse than reading the article on Wikipedia about him, and then following up on the references it provides.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
muni

Post by muni »

There is plenty about on internet.
This short talk can help, not only to get an idea, but also an important point:
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I was his student for 16 years.

But I will leave the thread to the experts.

:namaste:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Simon E. wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:54 am I was his student for 16 years.

But I will leave the thread to the experts.

:namaste:
Please don't. I was waiting for your reply. :smile:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

:popcorn:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

muni wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:48 am There is plenty about on internet.
This short talk can help, not only to get an idea, but also an important point:
That’s Allen Ginsberg and Peter Orlovsky in the front row
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Oh look, another CTR thread, how exciting! :roll:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

HandsomeMonkeyking wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:45 pm Being too young to have experienced it myself, I have often heard "bad stories", and then some very good ones about Chogyam Trungpa only recently.

Honestly I never started to read a book of him for the reason of the bad stories.

I wonder, what stuff did actually happen, and what made him such a controversial figure.

I learned now that one of my teachers speaks highly of him. In any regard I try not to judge or condemn or anything. Still I am curious of what was going on.
This topic really has been done to death, but: before jumping to conclusions based on dramatic stories, look at his students. He developed a large number of very good, serious practitioners. Any understanding of what he did needs to start from there.
boda

Post by boda »

PeterC wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:17 pm
HandsomeMonkeyking wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:45 pm Being too young to have experienced it myself, I have often heard "bad stories", and then some very good ones about Chogyam Trungpa only recently.

This topic really has been done to death, but: before jumping to conclusions based on dramatic stories, look at his students. He developed a large number of very good, serious practitioners. Any understanding of what he did needs to start from there.
Okay, let's start with his principle student Osel Tendzin: http://www.nytimes.com/1989/02/21/us/bu ... issue.html

Crazy wisdom or just bad?
justsit

Post by justsit »

Oh please, not again. Ancient news. That subject has been discussed ad nauseam in any number of threads.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

boda wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Okay, let's start with his principle student Osel Tendzin: http://www.nytimes.com/1989/02/21/us/bu ... issue.html

Why would a non Buddhist care anyway?Unless your are just :stirthepot:
boda

Post by boda »

It's continually rehashed because as Merlin says, "It is the doom of men that they forget."

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Sure, let’s do proof-by-anecdote.

Of course he was ‘just bad’. That’s why you need to look at a sample.

But I agree with justsit. This topic has been discussed so many times, another discussion will not add anything.
boda

Post by boda »

PeterC wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:34 am

Sure, let’s do proof-by-anecdote.

Of course he was ‘just bad’. That’s why you need to look at a sample.

But I agree with justsit. This topic has been discussed so many times, another discussion will not add anything.
Proof of what? You claimed that any understanding needs to start with his students, so I started with the principle student.
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

Buddha also had Devadatta as a student. Can't blame everything on the teacher.
boda

Post by boda »

MiphamFan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:40 am

Buddha also had Devadatta as a student. Can't blame everything on the teacher.
It was PeterC’s claim that to understand what Trungpa did we need to start with his students, so I pointed out his principal student. This is the beginning our our understanding, according to PeterC.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

MiphamFan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:40 am Buddha also had Devadatta as a student. Can't blame everything on the teacher.
That's an irksome comparison. Something gets very distorted to make that work. Trungpa = Shakyamuni? Recklessly spreading the HIV = schism?

I don't think you really want to stand by that comparison.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

In the wake of the recent Oxfam sexual abuse scandal, now is the time to report any hard evidence of abuse to the Charities Commission in the UK involving any religious organisation which has charitable status.

They simply dare not ignore it, and Govt. is about to make a great show of exposing it too - a vote winner for sure.

I can think of at least one 'charity' where allegations of sexual abuse should be raised by those with evidence, to save others from the cult.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I think Mantrik's point was the most relevant and the only thing of value that could come after beating this dead horse once again.

The OP can do a site search and find all the info they need on the subject.

Topic locked.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Dharma Stories”