Chilling adventures of Sabrina. Did you watch?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
climb-up

Chilling adventures of Sabrina. Did you watch?

Post by climb-up »

Did anyone else watch The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina?
I read the first trade paperback, but hadn't kept up so I only knew the story through the first couple of episodes.

It's no Buffy...
...that is just an objective fact. And watching this show is absolutely make you NOT want to be a witch (the witch community is, literally, an almost one-to-one inversion of uptight puritan values), but all-in-all I liked it.

I have been told that I must watch AHS Apocolypse as well. I saw the first episode, no witches yet, but we'll see.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Chilling adventures of Sabrina. Did you watch?

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

climb-up wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:54 pm Did anyone else watch The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina?
I read the first trade paperback, but hadn't kept up so I only knew the story through the first couple of episodes.

It's no Buffy...
...that is just an objective fact. And watching this show is absolutely make you NOT want to be a witch (the witch community is, literally, an almost one-to-one inversion of uptight puritan values), but all-in-all I liked it.

I have been told that I must watch AHS Apocolypse as well. I saw the first episode, no witches yet, but we'll see.
I thought it was terrible, also being a big fan of Buffy and Angel. Hell, even Riverdale has a few episodes that are kind of clever, so I expected the show to at least be lightly entertaining. I found it disappointing personally, a snoozer. Acting and writing was flat, plot is cliche but not in a cool or clever way, just blah. Maybe I should give it more of a chance but my initial reaction was -yawn-, and I don't watch much TV so gotta be selective.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:10 pm
climb-up wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:54 pm Did anyone else watch The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina?

It's no Buffy...

I thought it was terrible, also being a big fan of Buffy and Angel. Hell, even Riverdale has a few episodes that are kind of clever, so I expected the show to at least be lightly entertaining. I found it disappointing personally, a snoozer. Acting and writing was flat, plot is cliche but not in a cool or clever way, just blah. Maybe I should give it more of a chance but my initial reaction was -yawn-, and I don't watch much TV so gotta be selective.
Fair enough.
Did you watch the whole thing, or part of it?
Only asking because one of my friends was very unimpressed by the beginning and it grew on home.

I SHOULD be more selective, but I have automatic buy-in and it would take a LOT for me to actually hate it.
...same with season 10 and 11 of x-files.

OH and, since you are a Buffy & Angel fan (and therefore clearly have good taste), is there anything of a similar genre you’ve seen recently that you’d recommend?
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Ahhh...
This is about a year old, but I only just saw it. Definitely the next dark, moody CW teen drama ;)

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

I absolutely loved it, but, I like, as in profoundly enjoy, objectively bad TV. I have had to accept this fact.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Though it's not exactly the sort of thing I'd watch, I am encouraged that there is a market in US television for a series where the main characters are promiscuous devil-worshippers. I take this as a sign of hope for society. I'm also surprised that somewhere like Texas hasn't yet passed a law banning it - presumably they're too busy with midterms, abortion and guns.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

climb-up wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:33 pm season 10 and 11 of x-files.
IMO season 11 was better than any of the first 10 seasons.

climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:00 am

...I don’t think you’re allowed to say that.

Just kidding (...kind of ...lol) but let me ask you, did you watch x-files when it was coming out and, if so, has your opinion changed?
I watched the first 4 seasons when it was coming out and loved it, but I’ve been shocked on re-watching it (half way through season 4 with my daughter right now) how many things don’t hold up. e.g. Mulder is such a jerk so often!

I liked season 11 (...not the robot one, but most of the rest) but I felt pretty alone in that. Same with season 10.

Skinner lives
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

PeterC wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:19 am Though it's not exactly the sort of thing I'd watch, I am encouraged that there is a market in US television for a series where the main characters are promiscuous devil-worshippers. I take this as a sign of hope for society. I'm also surprised that somewhere like Texas hasn't yet passed a law banning it - presumably they're too busy with midterms, abortion and guns.
Lol, they still might!
But, with so much political tension and unease there is no way that the image of the witch will be suppressed ...though it can certainly be coopted to sell make-up and beauty products (que sera sera).
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

climb-up wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:18 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:00 am

...I don’t think you’re allowed to say that.

Just kidding (...kind of ...lol) but let me ask you, did you watch x-files when it was coming out and, if so, has your opinion changed?
I watched the first 4 seasons when it was coming out and loved it, but I’ve been shocked on re-watching it (half way through season 4 with my daughter right now) how many things don’t hold up. e.g. Mulder is such a jerk so often!
Also the alien invasion arc and the black oil never made any practical sense IMO.

I just think 11 was the best because of Dr They

I think that was the best episode they've ever made

climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Interesting. We’re just getting into the black oil now; I like it, but (so far) it’s not as interesting as other things.

After we finish season 4, then re-watch the movie, maybe we’ll rewatch season 11 to give it a fair shake.

...Dr. They is legitimately awesome.

Return to “Lounge”