Americans turning to Buddhism?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Re: Americans turning to Buddhism?

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:53 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:10 pm
On the issue of mindfulness without Dharma...

Shantideva in the Washington Post!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... le-hatred/

The solution — and the opportunity for each of us — lies not in disagreeing less, but in understanding the appropriate way to disagree with others, even when we are treated with hatred. A valuable clue can be found in the words of the 8th-century Indian Buddhist master Shantideva in his text “A Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life”: “Unruly beings are as unlimited as space / They cannot possibly all be overcome, / But if I overcome thoughts of anger alone / This will be equivalent to vanquishing all foes.”
See, the only way to vanquish your foes, assuming that’s something you want to do, is to accept them. :)
There's a lot of wisdom in this advice. I have learned to be more detached about those I differ with by participating in forum exchanges over the years. When I first started I was very emotional about it, sometimes I could even feel my pulse increase. Passionate. I still have convictions, but I also realise that it's pointless to try and convince anyone who comes along that they are the right convictions. So I've learned to let a lot of stuff go. But it certainly doesn't mean agreeing with everyone. I will never agree with climate-change denial, anti-vaxers, or scientific materialists. But I've learned to stop railing about them or trying to convince them whenever possible. :smile:
No wisdom can we get hold of
No highest perfection
No Bodhisattva, no thought of enlightenment either
When told of this, if not bewildered and in no way anxious
A Bodhisattva courses in the Tathāgata's wisdom.

Prajñāpāramitā Sutra ~ Conze Translation

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:01 am

Wayfarer wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:09 am
What do we make of this:
The aim of salvation in Buddhism...is to be released from finite life itself. Such an idea of salvation recurs across the world religions, but in many strands of Buddhism there is a remarkable honesty regarding the implications of salvation. Rather than promising that your life will continue, or that you will see your loved ones again, the salvation of nirvana entails your extinction. The aim is not to lead a free life, with the pain and suffering that such a life entails, but to reach the “insight” that personal agency is an illusion and dissolve in the timelessness of Nirvāṇa.. What ultimately matters is to attain a state of consciousness where everything ceases to matter, so that one can rest in peace.

From Why Mortality Makes Us Free

NYT published my comment on the article.
I don't know what to think. It sounds a bit dry to me, a bit like an air-conditioned sales room. Leave it up to the corporations to decide how they want to pitch this. I like your reply however, it's got more meat on the bones.

Maybe it's a topic, this Buddhism thing, since the USA is in total denial about practically everything. Spinning a foreign religion into a distraction. Print that.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

Yavana

Post by Yavana » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:28 am

SunWuKong wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:01 am
Maybe it's a topic, this Buddhism thing, since the USA is in total denial about practically everything.
... No we're not...

Yavana

Post by Yavana » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:34 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:59 am
Notable that this appeared in the Atlantic.
Queequeg wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:10 pm
Shantideva in the Washington Post!
Maybe Americans are turning to Buddhism... Or maybe journalists are looking Skynet McHAL in its virtual face and turning towards heaven to see who, who will still answer them!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicolemart ... 38e19a7795
How do you know I am really a human writing this article and not a robot? Several major publications are picking up machine learning tools for content. So, what does artificial intelligence mean for the future of journalists?

According to Matt Carlson, author of “The Robotic Reporter”, the algorithm converts data into narrative news text in real-time.

Many of these being financially focused news stories since the data is calculated and released frequently. Which is why should be no surprise that Bloomberg news is one of the first adaptors of this automated content. Their program, Cyborg, churned out thousands of articles last year that took financial reports and turned them into news stories like a business reporter.

https://www.delltechnologies.com/en-us/ ... ournalism/
During the U.S. national elections in November 2016, the Washington Post published hundreds of local articles tracking the results.

One article that recapped Republican Darrell Issa’s win over Doug Applegate, a Democrat, for California’s 49th Congressional District seat, read: “Republicans retained control of the House and lost only a handful of seats from their commanding majority, a stunning reversal of fortune after many GOP leaders feared double-digit losses.”

While the verbiage has the ring of a veteran political reporter tracking election results, the article was in fact produced by a robot—Heliograf, the Post’s artificial intelligence (AI) system, built in-house.

https://digiday.com/media/washington-po ... last-year/
It’s been a year since The Washington Post started using its homegrown artificial intelligence technology, Heliograf, to spit out around 300 short reports and alerts on the Rio Olympics.

http://mediashift.org/2016/09/4-example ... urnalists/
Celebrants argue that algorithms will simply take over journalism’s most menial tasks, freeing up human journalists to tackle more advanced work. Bloomberg editor-in-chief John Micklethwait, for example, called automation “crucial to the future of journalism,” and New York magazine writer Kevin Roose described the introduction of automated reporting as “the best thing to happen to journalists in a long time.”

However, skeptics fear that robots may end up replacing journalists instead of helping them. In a column last month, veteran newsman Robert Rector predicted a future in which newspaper executives simply “build robots to replace reporters” and lick their chops as “they envision a business with little or no overhead.” Hammond of Narrative Science did little to quell such fears when he estimated that 90 percent of news content could be written by computers by the mid-2020s.
Not every downsized journalist will learn to code, but code is learning to journal! ...Beware the Ides!

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/arti ... profession

https://www.forbes.com/sites/workday/20 ... c1f4a2481b

Jeff H

Post by Jeff H » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:08 pm

PeterC wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:54 pm
Given the reference to “Kadampa Buddhism” at the start, it seems the writer was attending a NKT center. What sort of journalist writes an article on “Buddhism” but doesn’t pick up on the significance of that?
Actually, it probably wasn't NKT. There's an FPMT Kadampa Center in Raleigh, NC.
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

Jeff H

Post by Jeff H » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:07 pm

I previously posted a link to an FPMT Kadampa Center in North Carolina because I thought the article had referred to NC. But I'm getting too old to rely on my memory: the article actually referred to Northern Virginia. So I have to agree, it probably was one of those "other" centers!
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

Return to “Lounge”