What is magic?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
DharmaN00b

Re: What is magic?

Post by DharmaN00b » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:36 am

sufficient AND advanced? :offtopic: so it's beyond and enough. OH boy
If you are drunk here is the submit post button. Submit post

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:17 am

In my opinion, THIS is magic (all Eastern Orthodox priests already look like dark wizards and occultists to me with all those dark robes and beards):

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:54 am

Now that was funny!

The video footage was from an incident that happened some years ago (and has happened in the past) when Armenian Orthodox and Greek Orthodox (Christian) believers clashed in Jerusalem over receiving the "Holy Light".

Each year, in a miracle, a lamp stored in a locked vault magically ignites on Easter so that the flame of the "Holy Light" can be shared with Orthodox believers across the world (yes, they fly it across the world) on the day of Christ's Resurrection.

Last year one of the wardens at the chapel admitted that they just light it with a plain old cigarette lighter.

Magic and miracles step aside, BIC is here!

The more gullible continue to believe that is is a miracle.
Bic.jpg
Bic.jpg (14.05 KiB) Viewed 412 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:45 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:54 am
Now that was funny!

The video footage was from an incident that happened some years ago (and has happened in the past) when Armenian Orthodox and Greek Orthodox (Christian) believers clashed in Jerusalem over receiving the "Holy Light".

Each year, in a miracle, a lamp stored in a locked vault magically ignites on Easter so that the flame of the "Holy Light" can be shared with Orthodox believers across the world (yes, they fly it across the world) on the day of Christ's Resurrection.

Last year one of the wardens at the chapel admitted that they just light it with a plain old cigarette lighter.

Magic and miracles step aside, Bic is here!

The more gullible continue to believe that is is a miracle.

Bic.jpg
Perhaps it's their equivalent of a dog's tooth relic.

Aemilius

Post by Aemilius » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:59 am

KathyLauren wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:36 pm
Clarke's Third Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
That is on the right track, I'd say.

There is no outer world that is independent of the perceiver. This is said in Buddhist scriptures, and yet many Buddhists believe very strongly that there somehow would be truly existent matter or a truly existent world outside of us.

In early 1970's there came on the market a new technology of time keeping: quartz crystal watches and quartz crystal clocks. It was said and advertised that now everyone would have a watch that is always accurate, always on time. However, it turned out that quartz crystals too could some how occasionally change their rate of vibrating, or the electrons running in the wires were not always reliable, or some previously unknown factor influenced time keeping. The new quartz clocks and watches were not always on time, not in every person's home, not on every person's wrist. This can be explained in various ways, one of the explanations is postulating the Buddhist teaching of merit. This means that you can't give to people something that they do not have enough merit to receive. What they get depends on their stock of merit. Things and apparatuses change automatically into something that is possible for the receiver, possible for the receiver's habitual mind, habitual imagination, world view, and stock of something that is called "merit".
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:36 am

Aemilius wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:59 am
That is on the right track, I'd say.

There is no outer world that is independent of the perceiver. This is said in Buddhist scriptures, and yet many Buddhists believe very strongly that there somehow would be truly existent matter or a truly existent world outside of us.

In early 1970's there came on the market a new technology of time keeping: quartz crystal watches and quartz crystal clocks. It was said and advertised that now everyone would have a watch that is always accurate, always on time. However, it turned out that quartz crystals too could some how occasionally change their rate of vibrating, or the electrons running in the wires were not always reliable, or some previously unknown factor influenced time keeping. The new quartz clocks and watches were not always on time, not in every person's home, not on every person's wrist. This can be explained in various ways, one of the explanations is postulating the Buddhist teaching of merit. This means that you can't give to people something that they do not have enough merit to receive. What they get depends on their stock of merit. Things and apparatuses change automatically into something that is possible for the receiver, possible for the receiver's habitual mind, habitual imagination, world view, and stock of something that is called "merit".
Have you considered that the person giving also does not have the merit necessary to give, or is it always, in your view, the receiver that lacks merit?

And what happens if the giver is offering poison and the receiver refuses to accept? Does that mean the receiver does not have the merit to receive/accept?

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

Aemilius

Post by Aemilius » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:39 am

Vimalakirti nirdesa sutra says toward the end of chapter one that it is not the fault of the sun and moon that those blind from birth do not see them.
The question was why some people do not see the purity of the pureland.

You are free to be without watches or clocks or other inventions that exist for the benefit of mankind. There are also inventions of weapons etc that cause harm and destruction, that you can quite easily be without. Then there are inventions that are unnecessary, but not harmful. If you are practiced in it you can tell the time from the position of the sun in the sky, accurately enough for the purposes of everyday life. That doesn' work on cloudy days naturally.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:46 am

Which means frankly that half the year no one in the UK would know the time.. that might matter.

This is luddite nonsense.
“Why don’t you close down your PC for a while and find out who needs your help?”

HH Tai Situ.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:48 am

This one has veered way off topic, actually I am unsure if there even is a topic being discussed in this collection of disjointed and unrelated statements. If somebody can explain to me what the topic is and why it needs to continue being discussed, please message me.

Return to “Lounge”