Doomed, delusional, divided and corrupt

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Rick

Doomed, delusional, divided and corrupt

Post by Rick » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:29 am

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Doomed, delusional, divided and corrupt

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:07 am

The US has needed a Labor Party for a long time, but who knows whether it's even possible.

The only other electoral alternative is to try to force the current party to the left...and I mean actually to the left, labor rights, environment protection, public works, economic justice actually supporting the rights of racial etc. minorities (which btw, connects deeply to labor rights and economic justice, a fact almost entirely missed by the current Democrats minus Bernie and Warren.), not just upper class people trying to cynically out-woke each other.

I don't hold out a lot of hope for either possibility, which is sad. As the mainstream left has given on up on notion of solidarity, it has largely destroyed it's chances of gaining enough political power to do much of anything.
Republicans are totally over that shit, and have gone full-on ruthless culture war, a dynamic explored by Salon's Amanda Marcotte in her book "Troll Nation": They know they can’t win a fair fight on issues and policies, but when it comes to semiotic battles rooted in racism, nationalism and cultural division, they consistently hold the upper hand.
This is the future:( Feeling grim, hoping there are bright spots I am just missing.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:09 am

Ouch!
It's scarily applicable to us here in Australia, too.
... If you tried to design a center-left political party trapped between the traditions of social democracy and classical liberalism, unclear about its core beliefs and equally terrified by both its most vicious opponents and its most ardent supporters — in other words, a party perfectly positioned to capitulate to tyranny with nothing more than a few disapproving whimpers — I hardly think you could do better than the one we’ve got...
The Australian Labor Party comes close, and a lot of the reasons are the same.
I wonder If UK Labour is in the same bind?

:toilet:
Kim

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:57 am

And it’s also a perfect description of the Labour Party in the UK. They should be shooting at an open goal, the government is led by a forked-tongued buffoon with the morals of a polecat, and yet Labour are hitting new lows in opinion polls. They have lost their way just when most needed.
“Why don’t you close down your PC for a while and find out who needs your help?”

HH Tai Situ.

Rick

Post by Rick » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:55 pm

If Democrats are doomed delusional divided corrupt ... and Republicans are waging a no-holds-barred culture war ... where does that leave us denizens of the (Dis)United States of America? Some things can be simply ignored without much consequence. Alas politics does not seem* to be in that category. Politics (these days) might be sophomoric, megalomaniacal, stupid even, run by the asylum inmates ... but it affects our lives, sometimes very directly, whether or not you watch the news.

* Or maybe it is ... maybe it's possible to not care a hoot about politics without it intruding into one's personal life. I lived that way for many years ... thinking of returning to it given the political pall that seems to have no end in sight.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Return to “Lounge”