What would you choose in this scenario?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).

Poll ended at Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:55 am

Connect with an in person sangha with a legitimate teacher (which is also close to my place), but that comes from a lineage that does not capture my interest fully.
25%
Connect with a virtual sangha (that is in another country and in which there is not much interaction directly) with a legitimate teacher, but that does spark my interest in terms of the teachings.
75%

Total votes: 8

Tom2892

Post by Tom2892 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:55 am

I already know more or less what option I prefer, but I am curious to know what would you pick in this situation. I am not asking for you to take responsibility or choose for me.

Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: What would you choose in this scenario?

Post by Ayu » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:00 am

I would choose with my gut feeling - and I have none right now, because the question is theoretical.
For me, the personal feeling to the teacher is most important. And right now I'm completely fed up with online courses and zoom meetings... Therefore I'm glad I don't have to choose.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

Tom2892

Post by Tom2892 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:34 am

Ayu wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:00 am
I would choose with my gut feeling - and I have none right now, because the question is theoretical.
For me, the personal feeling to the teacher is most important. And right now I'm completely fed up with online courses and zoom meetings... Therefore I'm glad I don't have to choose.
Having not followed my gut feeling in a long time, I feel this is good advice. I tend to get very theoretical about things. I also tend to find that online courses and zoom meetings aren't the same as the in-person relationship, but better than nothing!

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:50 pm

For my deluded perception, the charisma of a certain teacher is ten times stronger live than online.
On the other hand charisma is no definite measure. A fraud can be very charismatic or a teacher with best foundation can appear as colorless.

So, agreeing to the teachings of the lineage is important.
And if the lineage and the teacher as well do not touch you at all, then an online course can be better.

Why not try both and see how things develop?
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

Tom2892

Post by Tom2892 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:21 pm

Ayu wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:50 pm
For my deluded perception, the charisma of a certain teacher is ten times stronger live than online.
On the other hand charisma is no definite measure. A fraud can be very charismatic or a teacher with best foundation can appear as colorless.

So, agreeing to the teachings of the lineage is important.
And if the lineage and the teacher as well do not touch you at all, then an online course can be better.

Why not try both and see how things develop?
I have been trying both for a while now, but I can't seem to decide. There are many things about both that I enjoy. But I also realize that by dedicating time to both, my time is split and I do not delve deeply into any of the two.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:50 am

I choose the first one!

The second choice is a new one and wasn’t even an option for our parents generation.

For most people’s purposes they will benefit more doing things the old fashion way.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:55 am

Tom2892 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:21 pm
But I also realize that by dedicating time to both, my time is split and I do not delve deeply into any of the two.
How different are the two groups ?

Just by the question I already know you must be talking about Tibetan Buddhism.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:55 am

Anyways both are better options than becoming a follower of Baidu Rinpoche!
:jumping:

boda

Post by boda » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:47 am

The point is moot since you should be connecting with a teacher virtually during the pandemic.

WesleyP

Post by WesleyP » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:27 am

Just Voted. :sage:

Tom2892

Post by Tom2892 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:39 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:55 am
Tom2892 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:21 pm
But I also realize that by dedicating time to both, my time is split and I do not delve deeply into any of the two.
How different are the two groups ?

Just by the question I already know you must be talking about Tibetan Buddhism.
One is Theravada, the other is Mahayana. No Tibetan Buddhism involved for now.
Last edited by Ayu on Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:00 am

Little point in connecting with a lineage or teacher in which you don’t have interest. But what I absolutely wouldn’t do is outsource the decision to the democracy of the interwebs

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:21 am

I'm the only one so far who answered "Connect with an in person sangha with a legitimate teacher (which is also close to my place), but that comes from a lineage that does not capture my interest fully," perhaps because that's just what I did. There are all sorts of kinds of Buddhism that I find very interesting, learning from a Kegon venerable would be interesting for instance, but I can't imagine myself taking things as seriously if they were just over the internet. That's just my personality, I guess. I need in-person connection, and I find talking over webcam very disconnecting. It's quite literally harder to pay attention, for me at least.

"Capture my interest fully" to me, I was reading as "tickles my intellectual fancy." I find East Asian sūtra schools intellectually fascinating, and exploring the insider perspective of many of these would be interesting, but I'm also intellectually vainglorious, and that has an uncomfortable intersection with (a)Dharma. For me, actually getting to know Buddhism involved paying some attention to things that didn't capture my interest fully initially.

Probably different than how other people were reading it.

Edit: I'm no longer the only one!
savi saghara aṇica di, savi saghara dukha di, savi dhama aṇatva di:
yada paśadi cakhkṣuma tada nivinadi dukha eṣo mago viśodhia.

"All formations are inconstant," he said.
"All formations are stressful," he said.
"All phenomena are selfless," he said.
When one sees this, one becomes adverse to stress, and this is the path of purity.

(Gāndhārī Dharmapada fragments)

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:29 am

I would choose both. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

Return to “Lounge”