Buddhist Meme

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Kaccāni

Buddhist Meme

Post by Kaccāni » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:57 pm

Theres a meme on the internet that the answer to the question "Is there anybody who has already ..." be always YES. That particularly goes for fetish issues.

It appears to me that the answer to "Is there somebody who does ... as buddhist practice?" Is the same.
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!

oushi

Re: Buddhist Meme

Post by oushi » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:10 pm

Gwenn Dana wrote:Theres a meme on the internet that the answer to the question "Is there anybody who has already ..." be always YES. That particularly goes for fetish issues.

It appears to me that the answer to "Is there somebody who does ... as buddhist practice?" Is the same.
I don't think so. There are many unique ways of approaching practice.
Say what you think about me here.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:18 am

I'm not even going to pretend that I understood the starting premise and "question".
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:28 pm

Gwenn Dana wrote:Theres a meme on the internet that the answer to the question "Is there anybody who has already ..." be always YES. That particularly goes for fetish issues.
As regards fetish issues, you may be having vague memories of Rule 34 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_34_(Internet_meme)

In the broader meaning, the meme is correct to a high degree of accuracy just because there are so many internet users, and from so many different backgrounds. As regards Buddhism, the range of people is a lot narrower and the range of behaviours is limited by what can possibly be considered "a Buddhist practice". Skydiving? Playing cricket? Reading Harry Potter books? I don't think so.

:namaste:
Kim

Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:14 pm

D'oh! I mixed up Buddhist practice and practice that is done to achieve enlightenment!
My bad!

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:20 pm

Freudian slip at its grandest!

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

oushi

Post by oushi » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:24 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:the range of people is a lot narrower and the range of behaviours is limited by what can possibly be considered "a Buddhist practice". Skydiving? Playing cricket? Reading Harry Potter books? I don't think so.
A Zen teaching comes to my mind:
"Followers of the Way, the Buddha-Dharma needs no skilled application. Just be your ordinary selves with nothing further to seek, relieving nature, wearing robes and eating. “When tired I sleep. Fools laugh at me, the wise understand.” - Linji
We can say the same about skydiving, playing cricket, or reading a book. In this particular practice the content becomes irrelevant, only the approach matters. So, we see that Dharma practice has many dimensions.
Gwenn Dana wrote:D'oh! I mixed up Buddhist practice and practice that is done to achieve enlightenment!
My bad!
It is still applicable, because one can mix Buddhist practices. That will still be Buddhism but with quite uniquely shaped practice, and there can by many of those combinations. Has everyone been tested already? I don't think so.

Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:32 pm

Let´s just call it a practice founded in Buddha that enlightens. Not only Buddhism is that. I don´t like -isms. But it creates karmic waves in -isionists when you inject into or compare to -isms. I wouldn´t want to be the cause for people´s suffering, although there is little I can do about it.

oushi

Post by oushi » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:54 pm

Now, I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Maybe it was not important.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:35 pm

It rarely is...

Return to “Lounge”