The pet craze

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
greentara

The pet craze

Post by greentara » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:42 am

I'm rather fond of both dogs and cats and love watching birds and parrots. Lately though i think the pet craze, especially when it comes to dogs has reached a whole new level. Outside any restaurant or cafe there are numerous dogs sitting tethered or enjoying the sun with masters in tow drinking coffee and nibbling cake. In front of any supermarket the huddled dogs sit awaiting their owners return, some wearing fancy studded collars or dog-shoelets for extra attention. As Richard Rose once wrote "Can you love a dog? You hear a lot of this talk: “I love my dog.” What type of person would claim to love a dog more than his neighbors? We find this all the time—these people are great lovers of dogs, but hate their neighbor, especially when the neighbor doesn't like the dog. Sometimes they love the dog more than their mate"

KathyLauren

Re: The pet craze

Post by KathyLauren » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:02 pm

Dogs are some of the nicest people I know.

Om mani padme hum
Keith

shaunc

Post by shaunc » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:42 am

I'd have to agree. I'm an animal lover myself. We have a dog, a few budgies & 7 chickens. But the amount of people out there that treat their animals as humans never ceases to amaze me.

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:43 pm

I am also amazed at people who take it as a personal affront if you even gently object to their dog leaving deposits in your yard, barking all night, or chasing deer in the back country. I don't mind dogs, but sometimes dog owners strike me as very self-centered and passive-aggressive. I will not patronize restaurants that allow dogs, even on the sidewalk.