Buddhist leaders convene at White House

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
mikenz66

Buddhist leaders convene at White House

Post by mikenz66 » Sun May 24, 2015 6:01 am

Washington Post: A political awakening for Buddhists? 125 U.S. Buddhist leaders to meet at the White House.
Are we about to enter the era of the political Buddhist?

On Thursday about 125 U.S. Buddhist leaders from across the spectrum will gather in Washington for what organizers say may be the biggest conference ever focused on bringing their faith communities into public, civic life. After the conference, the group will meet with officials at the White House, which longtime writers on U.S. Buddhism say is a first. ...
Bhhikkhu Bodhi: Buddhists at the White House
Last week, on May 14th, I was privileged to be part of a group of Buddhist monastics, teachers, and leaders who converged on Washington DC for a conference on the role of Buddhism in the public square. The idea to convene such a conference originated with Bill Aiken, Public Affairs Officer for Soka Gakkai International–USA, who began to lay plans for the gathering as far back as December 2014. He established a steering committee, which eventually came to consist of Danny Hall (also of SGI), Professor Duncan Williams, Professor Sallie King, Matt Regan, Rev. T.K. Nakagaki, and myself. The list of invitees, originally set at 80, increased incrementally until it amounted to approximately 125, the maximum that could comfortably fit into the facilities provided. Representatives included monks, nuns, ministers, academics, yogis, lay Dharma teachers, and Buddhist activists from all traditions, with a balanced blend of Asian immigrant Buddhists and convert American Buddhists. ...
:anjali:
Mike

Luke

Re: Buddhist leaders convene at White House

Post by Luke » Sun May 24, 2015 6:52 am

Wonderful news! It's about time! :twothumbsup:

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sun May 24, 2015 5:11 pm

Yes, this is joyous news. My first thought is wonderful but that was already said. :)
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

Shadok

Post by Shadok » Tue May 26, 2015 4:34 pm

I have a very bad feeling about this.

Luke

Post by Luke » Tue May 26, 2015 7:01 pm

Shadok wrote:I have a very bad feeling about this.
And why is that?

...Or are you just quoting Star Wars? :D

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue May 26, 2015 11:20 pm

Some Buddhists are opposed to this, believing monks should not get involved with politics. Over at Dhamma Wheel (Theravada) this same thread was over 10 pages long. It's interesting that there is not so much opposition here, probably due to the general Mahayana acceptance of engaged Buddhist actions. Although there are some Mahayana Buddhists and teachers who have expressed some opposition to engaged activities too.

https://hardcorezen.info/i-wish-i-could-agree/3553

And then here is one Theravada monk expressing support:
https://sujato.wordpress.com/2015/05/19 ... -workshop/

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue May 26, 2015 11:54 pm

Have to admit I agree 100% with that Brad Warner article, and I think it says something that many "engaged Buddhists" ought to give a listen to. That said, I figure it's a good thing for sure that this happened, even if I might quibble with some of the messages on examination.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:19 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Have to admit I agree 100% with that Brad Warner article, and I think it says something that many "engaged Buddhists" ought to give a listen to. That said, I figure it's a good thing for sure that this happened, even if I might quibble with some of the messages on examination.
From Warner's article:
I want to see an end to US militarism as much as anyone else. War is bad. Violence is bad. Hate is bad.

But we won’t solve those problems by pretending that merely smiling beatifically and putting daisies in soldiers’ gun barrels is a permanent solution.
I would like to write a response when I have the time. But this is a very important discussion to have. It warrants its own thread, I think.

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Wed May 27, 2015 8:23 am

Dan74 wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:Have to admit I agree 100% with that Brad Warner article, and I think it says something that many "engaged Buddhists" ought to give a listen to. That said, I figure it's a good thing for sure that this happened, even if I might quibble with some of the messages on examination.
From Warner's article:
I want to see an end to US militarism as much as anyone else. War is bad. Violence is bad. Hate is bad.

But we won’t solve those problems by pretending that merely smiling beatifically and putting daisies in soldiers’ gun barrels is a permanent solution.
I would like to write a response when I have the time. But this is a very important discussion to have. It warrants its own thread, I think.

For the daisies in the gun barrels we can thank Peggy Hitchcock who also sponsers many Buddhadharma events at her place
in Tucson.

Shadok

Post by Shadok » Sat May 30, 2015 1:23 am

When religion and politics are mixed, money and power get involved. Then degeneration of dharma begins.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sat May 30, 2015 2:12 am

Shadok wrote:When religion and politics are mixed, money and power get involved. Then degeneration of dharma begins.

Begins? Have you read no Buddhist history? Politics has been around from the beginning...like it or not.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi » Sat May 30, 2015 2:38 am

Interesting David as always. Anyway I wonder how many of the delegates criticized consumer capitalism?

tktru

Post by tktru » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:12 am

Is there a full list of the delegates available?

Return to “Lounge”