POLL on knowing conservatives

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).

Personal Contact with Conservatives

1. I do not know any.
9%
2. I have one or more conservative friends.
47%
3. I know one or more conservatives.
44%
4. Do not know any and do not want to.
No votes
5. I know some and despise them.
No votes

Total votes: 32

Nicholas Weeks

POLL on knowing conservatives

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This means personal, face to face knowledge. Conservatives is loosely defined by temperament or politics or cultural - however.

Vote changing permitted.
Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: POLL on knowing conservatives

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Know lots of em. Don't agree with them on many things, but know and respect plenty of them. I find myself getting along pretty well with libertarians (both in an overtly political and social sense) generally, though we differ greatly on economic stuff. Severe social conservatives, different story..I know a few, but our opposing views have often kept us from forming lasting friendships, due to things that crop up. Generally my more middle of the road conservative friends I can have discussions with that get heated, but not derisive. With people who are extremely socially conservative (which in this country often goes along with being a fundamentalist Christian of some variety), i've found that often conversation on stickier issues isn't really possible..it's just who can talk loudest.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

There seems to be an assumption that western Buddhists are liberal.

Ya think? :rolling:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

smcj wrote:There seems to be an assumption that western Buddhists are liberal.

Ya think? :rolling:

The Perfection of Liberality.

Joking of course!

-Khunu Lama
Paul

Post by Paul »

A lot of my friends are painfully left wing, so I don't really know many who are out and out conservative. It's kind of like trying to guess if anyone you know is homosexual in the 1950s for most of my peer groups. But I do know a few.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Paul wrote:A lot of my friends are painfully left wing, so I don't really know many who are out and out conservative. It's kind of like trying to guess if anyone you know is homosexual in the 1950s for most of my peer groups. But I do know a few.

Ha! Interesting phenomena, now that I live on the Leftiest part of the Left Coast, I actually find myself more annoyed with some of the politics of fellow liberal/progressive/whatevers, simply due to the fact that that is the predominant viewpoint here. However, I do martial arts, which guarantees being around a bevy of conservatives.

-Khunu Lama
Urgyen Dorje

Post by Urgyen Dorje »

I have quite a few conservative friends and associates. Its a slippery question as there are many different types of conservatives. Most in my circle are conservative by religious conviction. They are primarily social conservatives on the basis of their faith. Their economic views varry. I have a few in my circle Id describe as classic liberals of the von Mises type. I also have a few of the tea party type. Many of these are Buddhist conservatives.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Ha! Interesting phenomena, now that I live on the Leftiest part of the Left Coast, I actually find myself more annoyed with some of the politics of fellow liberal/progressive/whatevers, simply due to the fact that that is the predominant viewpoint here. However, I do martial arts, which guarantees being around a bevy of conservatives.
I got accused of 'sounding like an evil fascist' by defending (not actually praising it) the existence of capitalism the other day by a good friend. :shrug:
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I'm not a political or social conservative, but I do identify in certain respects as a cultural conservative. By that I mean: I value certain cultural traditions, and my assumption is that older cultural forms are not necessarily worse than those forms pretending to send them to the dustbin. I *liked* reading Paradise Lost and The Faerie Queene in school, to give a banal example.

many members of my family and friends do identify as conservatives politically & socially. We get along fine.

I've noticed a peculiar assumption among some conservatives I know in the US, though: there notion that those who are not one of them, who are not conservative, are somehow a monolith--THEM, if you will. That's a shame--it makes you wonder if a useful poll at FreeRepublic or RedState might be... "Do you know any of them libs?"
Redfaery

Post by Redfaery »

I'm pretty liberal. Registered to the Democratic party here in the US. I'm LGBTQ and a feminist.

But...ah...most of my relatives are conservative. And quite a few of my friends. The area where I grew up is very conservative. I'm well versed with conservatism. It's not for me.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

I've never engaged any of them in political discussion, but I wouldn't be surprised of many of the Tibetan teachers I've met were socially conservative. They probably don't understand economics well enough to have an informed opinion on that conversation though.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

smcj wrote:I've never engaged any of them in political discussion, but I wouldn't be surprised of many of the Tibetan teachers I've met were socially conservative. They probably don't understand economics well enough to have an informed opinion on that conversation though.
I've found this to be...kind of true. The ones I have heard touch on this stuff, they might hold a "conservative" position (such as opposing abortion, or opposing euthanasia in general), but the reasoning for doing so is quite different from what would be put forth by (for example) an average fundamentalist Christian conservative. In addition, the one's i've heard talk about it would not (I don't think) align themselves with anything like a set of liberal or conservative political views. Another example which would put them not on our typical left-right spectrum: opposition to militarism, which I have seen some of them express.

-Khunu Lama
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

With the proviso that Conservative means something different in the UK. ...I am a Conservative. I voted Conservative in last month's general election, as did most of my friends and colleagues.

Most of the British Buddhists I know would fall into the Conservative end of the political spectrum ..as Briton's define Conservatism..

The vast majority of Brit Conservatives do not hold fundamentalist Christian views..or any religious views at all.

Generally speaking they advocate equality of opportunity, but eschew any attempt to egineer equality of outcome.
Last edited by Simon E. on Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Jikan wrote:I'm not a political or social conservative, but I do identify in certain respects as a cultural conservative. By that I mean: I value certain cultural traditions, and my assumption is that older cultural forms are not necessarily worse than those forms pretending to send them to the dustbin. I *liked* reading Paradise Lost and The Faerie Queene in school, to give a banal example.

many members of my family and friends do identify as conservatives politically & socially. We get along fine.

I've noticed a peculiar assumption among some conservatives I know in the US, though: there notion that those who are not one of them, who are not conservative, are somehow a monolith--THEM, if you will. That's a shame--it makes you wonder if a useful poll at FreeRepublic or RedState might be... "Do you know any of them libs?"
I've seen the same, though I can tell you living around mostly liberals now, many of them do the same thing..though i'd say fewer.

-Khunu Lama
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Urgyen Dorje wrote:I have quite a few conservative friends and associates. Its a slippery question as there are many different types of conservatives. Most in my circle are conservative by religious conviction. They are primarily social conservatives on the basis of their faith. Their economic views varry. I have a few in my circle Id describe as classic liberals of the von Mises type. I also have a few of the tea party type. Many of these are Buddhist conservatives.

Certainly the first generation of Buddhists in the UK were mostly social conservatives..Christmas Humphrys et al were somewhat to the right of Genghis Khan.

Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Social conservative here :o but a liberal economically.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Paul wrote:A lot of my friends are painfully left wing, so I don't really know many who are out and out conservative. It's kind of like trying to guess if anyone you know is homosexual in the 1950s for most of my peer groups. But I do know a few.

This can lead to some very interesting situations...All the opinion polls re the UK general election suggested a ' hung parliament '..no party would hold a majority.
In the event however the Conservatives did achieve a majority. The discrepancy between poll predictions and the reality was attributed to a reluctance to identify as conservatives..It was dubbed 'Shy Tory ( conservative ) syndrome.'

PadmeSamadhi

Post by PadmeSamadhi »

If people here agree I will post my rant about the matter, but since it could look like hate speech for some people maybe I shouldn't post it right away.

So, what do you guys think?
Should I risk it and post the rant or not? :reading:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

PadmeSamadhi wrote:If people here agree I will post my rant about the matter, but since it could look like hate speech for some people maybe I shouldn't post it right away.

:popcorn:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

PadmeSamadhi wrote:If people here agree I will post my rant about the matter, but since it could look like hate speech for some people maybe I shouldn't post it right away.

If it violates the ToS, or is disruptive to the spirit of the thread, or the forum, then no, probably not. If it's well-written and reasonably considerate of not intentionally pissing everyone off, then sure.

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Lounge”