Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activity?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Post Reply

Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activity? If so, so what?

Yes, the planet is warming, human economic & industrial activity are the primary cause, and this is a problem.
45
82%
Yes, the planet is warming, human economic & industrial activity contribute, and this is not a problem.
1
2%
Yes, the planet is warming, human economic & industrial activity are negligible factors, and this is not a problem.
2
4%
No, the planet is not warming, and "global warming" or "climate change" are dangerous hoaxes intended to [fill in the blank]
2
4%
I do not know.
4
7%
I do not care.
1
2%
 
Total votes: 55

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9423
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activity?

Post by DGA » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:40 pm

I wanted to take the temperature of the board (ahem) on this issue. The poll questions are not exhaustive, but they do represent the most frequent responses to this question I've seen.

MiphamFan
Posts: 993
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:46 am

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by MiphamFan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:17 pm

I do not know.

But human activity definitely has caused pollution in so many other aspects.

joy&peace
Posts: 1115
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by joy&peace » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:28 pm

Good post. This is by far and away the most important topic of the present-day, I would express.

Nothing else comes even close.

It's one of those fascinating things, and a lot of people have independently come to similar conclusions: spread the word, do so in a positive way however - the message has to be conjoined with one of hope; for plentiful or manifold reasons. . . Among others, hope gives us strength, as Thich Nhat Hanh says, if we have hope for a better tomorrow, we can bear a difficulty today.

In other words, I voted on 'and it's a problem,' but in truth - there are no problems, they only arise from not realizing we are one with the universe. (see Zen)

And it gets into a lot of factors - with what is real, what exists; non-duality and so forth. . . It's a very, very fascinating thing that there really are many realms - there really are heavens, devas, and so many other places. . .

Not easy to understand at first - non-duality is sort of the key to understand many of these things.

Heavens would be, I would say, the state of existence where we give, rather than consume, as our basic directive - this would seem to make the most sense.


Anyhow- what causes this is primarily habitat destruction. This comes about from a system that is based on consuming material - which is odd, because such is utterly unnecessary for happiness.

The word 'consume' comes from Latin for 'destroy' - when I learned this so many years ago, it had an impact.


The solution is primarily to shift our consciousness to higher levels; of peace and love and joy where none of these are dependent upon false views.

As human beings, we have a great impact on the environment - what we do and say affects the whole world, the whole ecosystem; and further - each time way say something, it affects others, which affects others, and so forth - to reach a state of love and peace -

"It's possible to spend 24 hours in a state of love. Every gesture, every glance, every thought can be infused with love," as Thay put it -


I would also say that the conceptions of this being a far away - distant - step or goal, are part of the obstruction. This is not a distant goal - nigh unattainable - it is not the end - the final, quite the opposite, it is the first step. And it is very easy.

So what's step two? :)


I've touched on a few other topics than the one involved, and I do not wish to sidetrack (and, I will do my part in bringing this back to focus, as I feel it is most important to do)

Indeed this is one of the main aspects of it - there are many distractions, I won't mention them - so to return to what is at hand, what is important, is a very useful skill.


Once again, very good post and it's very good to see. :)


Anyhow - to address the issue - we are losing 40-50 species daily, and this is quite clearly not okay.


Efforts in the past have been to protect one species, or one area of land - and while these have been individual successes at times, they are also systematic failures -

this is because they do not address the root causes - which are an ever-increasing population, with an increasing desire for consumption.


However - it is not that simple - and these are just a brief outline of the causes - the solutions are those actions, words, activities, and people, who counter-act this, and who enact and share the solution -

reducing consumption.


Indeed - the fact that there are distractions is one of the most intriguing aspects of this picaresque. Shifting attention away from them is a useful means of dealing with them. . .

A distraction - for instance - when there is an extremely vital and important issue at hand to be discussed, dealt with and resolved - that should be seen as inimical, I believe.


Avoiding loss of energy - that's key, and mentioning distractions like this - it's only a mention; there's no cause to delve too deeply into those,

simply mentioning them.



The solution is very quite simple, actually - and primarily involves reducing our consumption of earth.




What makes earth poorer, makes us all poorer - what makes earth richer, makes us all richer.



The environment, ecosystem, and worlds, are very interesting, vast, and interactive. There are so many systems - bug life, plant life, and so forth -


Ecosystem is actually so, so, so many systems within systems. It's very interesting. :)



Anyhow none of this is new, special or unique - a plain look around can see all of this.


One of the most important things is how do we help the situation -

Thay has made the very good and true point ( also not quite unique ),

'Peace can never be brought about by non-peaceful means.'



What energy we maintain, have and share is very important to take a look at - so to share the protection of species - to do so with the energy of mindfulness, and of love -

This makes all the difference in the world; because what energy we maintain, this is what energy we share.

So to share the important message of protecting species, with peacefulness, love, once again peacefulness, patience. :)

That is the most effective, and most beneficial to our earth, way of proceeding - in my life. It's quite similar to any other peace work - of which Thay and Tara are exemplary.


It's one of those things - non-attachment - to work for peace with peace; to do some from a platform of wholeness, compassion;

this is the essential means.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9423
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by DGA » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:42 pm

MiphamFan wrote:I do not know.

But human activity definitely has caused pollution in so many other aspects.
Hi,

For you and for others who may vote "I don't know," here is some well-grounded reading that can help you make up your mind based on scientific consensus.

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

If science is not convincing to you, then the evidence there will not convince you one way or the other.

:anjali:

WeiHan
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by WeiHan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:58 pm

I am the only one that vote NO. There is no global warming. It is a hoax created by corrupted politicians and quack scientists so that they can leverage more tax money to support their further corruption.

The plot of the average earth temperature with that of the activities of the Sun shows that it swing up and down in phase with the activities of the sun. In other words, temperature of earth moves in cycle and corelates more with the cycle of the activities of the Sun than anything else.

WeiHan
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by WeiHan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:09 pm

See.

Data released showed that "global warming" stopped 16 years ago. The graphs even show that it is cyclical.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ve-it.html

User avatar
daverupa
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:52 am

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by daverupa » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:17 pm

WeiHan wrote:See.
That's what you need to do, still:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/10/15/t ... years-ago/

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18897

Educate yourself.

---

Where's Kim? :stirthepot:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

User avatar
KathyLauren
Posts: 666
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:22 pm
Location: East Coast of Canada
Contact:

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by KathyLauren » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:26 pm

There are only two reasons why someone would still say that global warming / climate change is a hoax. One is that they don't really believe it and that they are being deliberately subversive. The other is that they really do believe what they say and that ... [Note to self: Remember Right Speech]

Om mani padme hum
Keith

WeiHan
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by WeiHan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:46 pm

Duke University has parted from the other universities who benefit from collecting money to further global warming theories.
Their study use 1000 years of data instead of just a mere 100 years. After the 16 years of halted global warming, computer simulation is showing that we are even presently entering a period of cooling.

https://nicholas.duke.edu/news/global-w ... ase-models

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9423
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by DGA » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:00 pm

WeiHan wrote:I am the only one that vote NO. There is no global warming.
You contradict yourself. First you say it is not happening, then you say that it is happening but can be attributed to other causes:
The plot of the average earth temperature with that of the activities of the Sun shows that it swing up and down in phase with the activities of the sun. In other words, temperature of earth moves in cycle and corelates more with the cycle of the activities of the Sun than anything else
Do you have any plausible science in support of this claim--specifically, evidence and analysis gathered by scientists who are not in any way supported by those who stand to profit from maintaining the current regime of fossil fuel extraction? I would like to see that evidence.
It is a hoax created by corrupted politicians and quack scientists so that they can leverage more tax money to support their further corruption.
I agree that corrupt politicians are a big part of the problem, and that there's a lot of misinformation going on in the name of "science." However...

overall, I have reason to find the opposite claim to yours more plausible: that corrupt politicians seek to continue their own positions by accepting money and other resources from corporate interests who do not wish for the scientific consensus to become a public consensus. The precedent here is, of course, the link between smoking tobacco and lung cancer and other health problems. This had been a scientific consensus since the 1930s, but had not become a mainstream sentiment in the US for another fifty or sixty years, largely because tobacco interests had paid off public figures and politicians. There's a lot of history here, but suffice it to say that if pre-presidential Ronald Reagan offers you a carton of Chesterfields, you'd do well to decline. More on this sort of stuff here:

http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/9/1/3.full

Here are some useful articles that flesh out this position. I would like to see some evidence-based and clear-seeing rebuttals to these, if anyone can offer them.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... ks-network

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... al-effort/

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/so ... YL4KEZUXeM

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... y-industry

http://drexel.edu/now/archive/2013/Dece ... te-Change/

http://phys.org/news/2013-12-koch-broth ... imate.html

There are a lot more to post, but I don't have enough time to vet them all. So this will do for now.

Happy reading!

WeiHan
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by WeiHan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:04 pm

Jikan wrote:
WeiHan wrote:I am the only one that vote NO. There is no global warming.
You contradict yourself. First you say it is not happening, then you say that it is happening but can be attributed to other causes:
I didn't contradict myself. There is no global warming as defined by the global warming con artists suggested. temperature does fluctuate in cycle but not predominantly due to human activities but to the sun activities which also oscillates in cycle.

What is there so interesting to read about a bunch of scientists that uses wrong model, fudge data...ah...don't waste my time.

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9423
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by DGA » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:06 pm

WeiHan wrote:Duke University has parted from the other universities who benefit from collecting money to further global warming theories.
Their study use 1000 years of data instead of just a mere 100 years. After the 16 years of halted global warming, computer simulation is showing that we are even presently entering a period of cooling.

https://nicholas.duke.edu/news/global-w ... ase-models
That article does not support your claim in the way you think it does.

First, it is one study produced by one doctoral student at one university. You seem to think this reflects the position of Duke University overall. This is not so; it reflects one researcher out of maybe 20,000.

Second, it does not contradict the consensus among competent scientists that global warming is the opposite of a "hoax." It merely suggests that the most likely projection among scientists who accept that human-caused global warming is a reality are the median ones, not the most extreme ones. That means that we are not presently entering a period of cooling, as you say. It means that natural fluctuations in climate may, thankfully, mitigate the worst outcomes of human-caused global warming.

Keep trying.

WeiHan
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by WeiHan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:08 pm

On the contrary, we may be entering a period that culminates with ice age in 2050. the reason is that we are in the period of the cycle when the solar wind diminishes and thus less solar energy will be reaching earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTI3GlYYHUs

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9423
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by DGA » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:10 pm

WeiHan wrote:
Jikan wrote:
WeiHan wrote:I am the only one that vote NO. There is no global warming.
You contradict yourself. First you say it is not happening, then you say that it is happening but can be attributed to other causes:
I didn't contradict myself. There is no global warming as defined by the global warming con artists suggested. temperature does fluctuate in cycle but not predominantly due to human activities but to the sun activities which also oscillates in cycle.

What is there so interesting to read about a bunch of scientists that uses wrong model, fudge data...ah...don't waste my time.
You have a strong position on it, but you're not willing to waste your time to find out if your position is the correct one--and you expect others to take your position seriously, even when you do not?

You expect others to accept your claim that scientists are corrupt, without providing any evidence for this, and while professing a lack of interest in finding out for yourself. This is not convincing.

You haven't demonstrated your claim about the cycles of the sun, by the way.

Simon E.
Posts: 7447
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by Simon E. » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:13 pm

I can think of another alternative Jikan ( with no implications necessarily that it is my own position ) .

There is warming, man made activity adds to it, it is a huge problem for human socities..but it largely due to natural cycles.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9423
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by DGA » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:14 pm

WeiHan wrote:On the contrary, we may be entering a period that culminates with ice age in 2050. the reason is that we are in the period of the cycle when the solar wind diminishes and thus less solar energy will be reaching earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTI3GlYYHUs
Debunked here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMQDQq_RJGw

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9423
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by DGA » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:14 pm

Simon E. wrote:I can think of another alternative Jikan ( with no implications necessarily that it is my own position ) .

There is warming, man made activity adds to it, it is a huge problem for human socities..but it largely due to natural cycles.
That's true. I didn't include this one because it's not a particularly common one.

WeiHan
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by WeiHan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:21 pm

Jikan wrote:
WeiHan wrote:On the contrary, we may be entering a period that culminates with ice age in 2050. the reason is that we are in the period of the cycle when the solar wind diminishes and thus less solar energy will be reaching earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTI3GlYYHUs
Debunked here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMQDQq_RJGw
It didn't debunked.

My youtube advances a position that solar wind is in a period of decreasing activities, thus reducing energy that earth will receive but your youtube didn't take into account solar activities at all.

WeiHan
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by WeiHan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:27 pm

Also, can anyone tell me what is the percentage of CO2 contributed by man to the total in atmosphere?

Malcolm
Posts: 31174
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change: Caused by human activi

Post by Malcolm » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:39 pm

WeiHan wrote:I am the only one that vote NO. There is no global warming. It is a hoax created by corrupted politicians and quack scientists so that they can leverage more tax money to support their further corruption.

The plot of the average earth temperature with that of the activities of the Sun shows that it swing up and down in phase with the activities of the sun. In other words, temperature of earth moves in cycle and corelates more with the cycle of the activities of the Sun than anything else.
Anthropogenic global warming is the scientific consensus, whether you like it or not.
Climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position. The following is a partial list of these organizations, along with links to their published statements and a selection of related resources.
http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

Here is a list of the all the scientific organizations that consent to that position:
http://opr.ca.gov/s_listoforganizations.php

So you are really going to go out on a limb and say that all of these scientific organizations made up of "quacks?"

Post Reply

Return to “Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests