Why digging out old topics?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Paul

Re: Why digging out old topics?

Post by Paul » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:43 pm

Simon E. wrote:Just my personal take..its not part of the forum TOS, but I think its more gracious to start a fresh thread. :smile:
It's a no win either way. If you dig up an old thread it's annoying because of the reasons you've stated. If it's a new thread then you're ignoring the information already on the board and needlessly duplicating questions etc.

Truly, the internet is a cursed place... :coffee:
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell

Urgyen Dorje

Post by Urgyen Dorje » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:54 pm

So in your experience, is necro-ing universally frowned upon?

tomamundsen wrote:
Simon E. wrote: At the risk of provoking yet another unwitting rumpus, why have we had a spate of what has been called ' Thread Archeology ' ?
As an aside, this is called "necro" or "necroing" in other parts of the internet.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:55 pm

Simon E. wrote: One such reanimated corpse recently was ( ironically ) from someone who I believe has actually died.
So he died, got reborn and then continued posting here in his new life?

At last! Proof of rebirth!

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:57 pm

Urgyen Dorje wrote:So in your experience, is necro-ing universally frowned upon?

tomamundsen wrote:
Simon E. wrote: At the risk of provoking yet another unwitting rumpus, why have we had a spate of what has been called ' Thread Archeology ' ?
As an aside, this is called "necro" or "necroing" in other parts of the internet.
In my experience, generally yes. I do it on other sites as well, and there's always someone that talks smack.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:59 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:
Simon E. wrote: One such reanimated corpse recently was ( ironically ) from someone who I believe has actually died.
So he died, got reborn and then continued posting here in his new life?

At last! Proof of rebirth!
:smile:
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:
This is not to be awkward. But it's really not self-explanatory.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:26 pm

Some forums have rules about not necroing threads. Personally I've always felt that such a rule wouldn't really work on DW. While some resuscitation s do seem odd, others are continuations of long standing themethemes, and as such, arent really defined by the OP so much as the more recent content.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Urgyen Dorje

Post by Urgyen Dorje » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:58 am

Cool. I'll put it down as one of the aspects of local DW culture. No necroing.

I came up that one posts a new thread only after searching and coming up blank. Both approaches are cool.

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:02 am

Urgyen Dorje wrote:Cool. I'll put it down as one of the aspects of local DW culture. No necroing.

I came up that one posts a new thread only after searching and coming up blank. Both approaches are cool.
I didn't see you "necroing".

The main problem is, if people think it is a new thread because they forget to look at the date of the first post.
For example once there was an old introduction thread. The new member introduced himself with a long story of his life, he had made 2 posts since - and it was one year ago. Somebody started to welcome him after one year and several others didn't notice the date and welcomed this allegedly new member again. This is not harmful but quite ridiculous.
So "Why bumping up old threads without obvious reason" is an interesting question, but it wasn't answered yet by the people who use to do so, if I didn't miss anything.

On the other hand we have old threads here and new topics merge into them, if people started new threads about the same topic. For example the topics about certain teachers, or the Great Vegetarian Debate.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

daelm

Post by daelm » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:50 pm

Simon E. wrote:Because seeLion the original poster or others who respond may not be around to explain their view , or they are still around but their view may have developed and changed.
might be guilty of this - have to go check. i tend not to see these as real time conversations, though, rather, it's a topic that can be added to and amended all the time. it's pretty much a permanent present for me :)

also, i took a forum break for about three years, so for me it's been invigorating to dig things up and see them differently.

d

daelm

Post by daelm » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Paul wrote:
Simon E. wrote:Just my personal take..its not part of the forum TOS, but I think its more gracious to start a fresh thread. :smile:
It's a no win either way. If you dig up an old thread it's annoying because of the reasons you've stated. If it's a new thread then you're ignoring the information already on the board and needlessly duplicating questions etc.

Truly, the internet is a cursed place... :coffee:

lol. too true.

catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:28 pm

I have never understood why people object to the resurrection of old threads. It seems to me that if a topic is of enduring value and interest, it will get resurrected. It's a sign of quality content, right?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.

Kunga Lhadzom

Post by Kunga Lhadzom » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:49 pm

catmoon wrote:I have never understood why people object to the resurrection of old threads. It seems to me that if a topic is of enduring value and interest, it will get resurrected. It's a sign of quality content, right?
Exactly...otherwise why not just delete all of them to save bandwidth....only keep todays posts !
Old, is in the eyes of the beholder :smile:
The Universe flowing through my veins...stars falling from my eyes......rocks rolling in my head...lemon juice dripping down my chin....

https://drunklotus.blog

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:12 pm

I agree.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:53 pm

I have occasionally wondered whether it might be possible - and useful - to go around the forum locking dead threads with a message saying, "If you want to continue this discussion, please start a new thread on the topic but link back to this one." I have usually ending up deciding it would be more trouble than it's worth.

:coffee:
Kim

Punya

Post by Punya » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:45 am

The main problem is, if people think it is a new thread because they forget to look at the date of the first post. 
Yes, this happpened to me when I first arrived here. I replied with way too much personal information and was mortified when I realised it was an old thread. Thankfully one of the mods was willing to delete my post.

So maybe resurrecting old threads depends on the topic. If it's about personal experiences perhaps not generally a good idea but if, as catmoon has said, you can add useful information to an enduring topic then that's fine.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche

Luke

Post by Luke » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:28 am

catmoon wrote:I have never understood why people object to the resurrection of old threads. It seems to me that if a topic is of enduring value and interest, it will get resurrected. It's a sign of quality content, right?
I agree. If people think it is stupid that someone resurrected an old thread, then they can just not post in that thread and the thread will quickly sink out of sight. If people truly don't want a thread resurrected, then they can petition to have it locked.

I like the mostly free and open culture here on DW and don't see the need for additional, unnecessary rules, such as "no necroing."

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:31 am

Urgyen Dorje wrote: I tend to bore into threads and comment on them as that is a common practice in tech forums. A useful piece of information might be found back in a post from 1998. Somebody might have posted something in 1998 and they are following that thread, and are thrilled when some piece of tech wizzardry is dropped on them in 2015.
This is the key point, I think. Much of the discussion on a forum such as this is "tech" rather than "chat". When it's "tech" then whether or not the OP is around is of no concern.

One of the useful functions of these forums (Dhamma Wheel and Dharama Wheel) it the building up of a repository of information. This is better served by continuing threads than by starting new ones.

Of course, if the discussion is time-sensitive, or very personal, then resurrecting the thread makes no sense.

:anjali:
Mike

Return to “Lounge”