How do you answer people who try to convert you?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Herbie

Re: How do you answer people who try to convert you?

Post by Herbie » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:17 am

I am happy that where I live religion isn't a very popular thing. Someone who would try to convert people or advertise this or that religion would probably ridicule himself.

SeekerNo1000003

Post by SeekerNo1000003 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:33 pm

Serenity509 wrote:No, but my wife is worried that our children will be treated differently in school if I raise them Buddhist.
[/quote][/quote]

My mom was an atheist & I went to school where religion was optional. Still teachers hated my guts I think in part because I was the only child in my class who didn't go to religion. [interestingly children and the priest were kind to me! The priest was kind from the start & did not try to "convert" me and children warmed up to me after a few years]. Despite the many difficulties, I'm glad I wasn't going to religion at that time. Thanks to this I was flexible enough to find what resonates with me in adulthood & I wasn't as vulnerable to social pressures.

rory

Post by rory » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:42 pm

Actually now that I think about it; Buddhism is a missionary religion. The Buddha went around and preached the Dharma. Why isn't anyone here doing the same?
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:24 am

rory wrote:Actually now that I think about it; Buddhism is a missionary religion. The Buddha went around and preached the Dharma. Why isn't anyone here doing the same?
gassho
Rory
Preaching is mostly for monks and nuns and other religious professionals to do, IMO.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

dreambow

Post by dreambow » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:43 am

Did the Buddha preach or did he give a talk as people gathered around? As I see it, in ancient times small groups of people would sit with a yogi or holy man and listen to whatever he had to say, hoping to benefit from any pearls of wisdom he would utter. The Buddha was awake, an enlightened one. What will 'half baked' people of today who wish to preach and cajole others have to offer?

rory

Post by rory » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:13 am

I don't think you know what you are talking about:

Buddhist Missionaries in the Era of Globalization, University of Hawai'i Press
Editor: Learman, Linda;
This insightful volume dispels the common notion that Buddhism is not a missionary religion by revealing Asian Buddhists as active agents in the propagation of their faith. It presents at the same time a new framework with which to study missionary activity in both Buddhist and other religious traditions. Included are case studies of Theravada, Chinese, and Tibetan Buddhist teachers and congregations, as well as the Pure Land, Shingon, Zen, and Soka Gakkai traditions of Japan.

Contributors examine both foreign and domestic missions and the activities of emigrant communities, showing the resources and strategies garnered by late-nineteenth- and twentieth-century Buddhists who worked to uphold and further their respective traditions, often under difficult circumstances. Based on anthropological fieldwork and historical research, the essays break new ground and provide better analytical tools for studying mission activity than previously available. They provide instructive comparisons with Anglo-American Protestant missionary thinking and offer insights into the internal dynamics of Sri Lankan and Japanese missions as they make their way in Protestant and Catholic societies. Also included are nuanced studies of two major missionary figures in late twentieth-century Chinese Buddhism and a fascinating look at the present Dalai Lama’s relationships with his devotees and the American government, viewed through an exposition of the abiding tradition within Tibetan Buddhism that combines mission activity with the political goals of exiled lamas.

Contributors: Stuart Chandler; Peter B. Clarke; C. Julia Huang; Steven Kemper; Linda Learman; Sarah LeVine; Richard K. Payne; Cristina Rocha; George J. Tanabe, Jr.; Gray Tuttle.
gassho
Rory
Topics in Contemporary Buddhism

http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/p-3371-9780824828103.aspx
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

Urgyen Dorje

Post by Urgyen Dorje » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:26 am

I've been instructed to share the dharma with those who are open and interested. In fact, that is a serious vow.
Last edited by Ayu on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: S O R R Y !!! Acidently eddited instead of quoting!

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:54 am

hehe,

one could maybe say, ' we're not home right now, please come again later. '

just jokingly, or smile - anything you do with a good heart is rewarded.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

dreambow

Post by dreambow » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:12 am

Urgyen Dorje, Yes, upon reflection I agree with you. A wise and considered answer.

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:09 am

dreambow wrote:Urgyen Dorje, Yes, upon reflection I agree with you. A wise and considered answer.
Sorry, his post is broken, because I confused the "Edit" button with the "Quote" button. :emb:
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:55 pm

Rory, I think dreambow has an important point in the context of the scholarship you bring up (which is important scholarship).

There's a crucial distinction to be made between competent, well-trained, and experienced-in-practice lineage holders in authentic traditions doing their best to uphold their transmissions in difficult circumstances, and what dreambow calls "half-baked" missionary types who don't know what they're talking about. The latter category isn't limited to shakubuku types, either. I've had some very strange exchanges with insight meditation people and "secular Buddhists" trying to convince others of their path. It's embarrassing and doesn't reflect well on Dharma.

Rory's right that Buddhists should inspire others to practice Dharma when and as possible. I'd argue the best way for practitioners to do this is through being a good-hearted person in everyday life exchanges, and not corner them with the Good News or whatever.

theanarchist

Post by theanarchist » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:10 pm

Urgyen Dorje wrote:I've been instructed to share the dharma with those who are open and interested. In fact, that is a serious vow.

Of course. You mention that you are involved in buddhism somewhere and a person shows interest and asks you about it. Then youanswer these questions. That's not converting people.

WeiHan

Post by WeiHan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:07 pm

rory wrote:Actually now that I think about it; Buddhism is a missionary religion. The Buddha went around and preached the Dharma. Why isn't anyone here doing the same?
gassho
Rory
I think the missionary work in Buddhism is largely supported by emperor such as King Ashoka or emperors of China. If it wasn't because of King Ashoka, I think Buddhism will be a small regional religion confine within Northern India. That is not surprising, all world religions have only become huge after patronage from huge empire. Unfortunately, Buddhism doesn't seem to evolve to a state that it is its own missionary.

Urgyen Dorje

Post by Urgyen Dorje » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:26 pm

No worries. I dont recall what I said, so nothing is lost.
Ayu wrote:
dreambow wrote:Urgyen Dorje, Yes, upon reflection I agree with you. A wise and considered answer.
Sorry, his post is broken, because I confused the "Edit" button with the "Quote" button. :emb:

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:46 pm

this ^ was beautiful. Just sayin'. :twothumbsup:
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

Return to “Lounge”