Vacation

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Ayu
Global Moderator

Vacation

Post by Ayu » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:06 pm

In July I want to go by bike (with a bicycle trailer for my camping luggage) to our retreat place in northern Germany: Semkye Ling. https://www.tibet.de/das-zentrum/medita ... ommercamp/
In relation to the hikers on appalachian trail or something like that my trip will be very short, only less than 100 km (60 miles), but for me it is a great deal.
I wanted to do such a trip all my life, but I could never, because my children were too small. Now they are grown up and not interested in exhausting biking trips. I have a feeling of "now or never" in my heart and I will go for it this year, disregarding that noone will join me. :shock: Ayu alone in the woods. :soapbox: Some prayerflags will protect me.

It still lasts some WEEKS until I go, but I'm excited already, thinking of all the things that have to be prepared. I make lists in my head already - right now a list about how to save weight of luggage. It is surprising to detect all those unnecessary heavy gimmicks I was carrying with me on former travels by car. Most things one doesn't need.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (238.31 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

Thomas Amundsen

Re: Vacation

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:32 pm

Wow that sounds really cool! Good luck, Ayu, and stay safe in the woods!

Punya

Post by Punya » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:34 pm

Have a wonderful journey and retreat Ayu!
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:04 am

Sounds very exciting. Be safe. And have fun.

Kevin

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:37 am

:thumbsup: Sounds like a nice adventure. Arriving by bike sounds cool and makes it more meaningful.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:18 am

This sounds great!
A couple of practical issues:
Ayu wrote:In July I want to go by bike (with a bicycle trailer for my camping luggage) to our retreat place in northern Germany: Semkye Ling. https://www.tibet.de/das-zentrum/medita ... ommercamp/
In relation to the hikers on appalachian trail or something like that my trip will be very short, only less than 100 km (60 miles), but for me it is a great deal. ...
If you haven't been riding much, build up to it with a couple of medium-distance rides - at least 10 - 20 km - in the weeks before you go.
It still lasts some WEEKS until I go, but I'm excited already, thinking of all the things that have to be prepared. I make lists in my head already - right now a list about how to save weight of luggage. It is surprising to detect all those unnecessary heavy gimmicks I was carrying with me on former travels by car. Most things one doesn't need.
Most of the weight in food is water. So long as you are sure you can get water when you need it, you can rely on dry food, and if there are towns along the way you won't have to carry much food at all.
Clothes are bulky (which shouldn't matter much if you have a trailer) but not very heavy.
That leaves tent, sleeping bag, mattress and cooking gear, plus incidentals like a torch.
Books? Maybe. Phone? Certainly. Spirit of adventure? Of course. :smile:

:namaste:
Kim

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:35 am

Thanks for the good wishes and advices.
Yesterday I did 25 km, which is the half of my daily distance. Interesting. It is good to know how it feels to make such a distance and to know how long it takes. It is possible to do it.
Someone gave me the hint, half the distance is enough for training. The Marathon runners also only run half in their training. To do more is counterproductive.

sattva

Post by sattva » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:42 pm

This sounds wonderful, Ayu! I have no advice, but send good wishes!!!

Post by newbie » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:00 am

:lol: Have a safe journey, Ayu! :heart:

:techproblem:

muni

Post by muni » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:05 pm

Be well in the wonderful woods of Toyed Shoe Lunt on your way to Semkye Ling!
Which human beings are “fortunate and connected?” They are the ones who generate love, compassion, and devotion, as well as the commitment to remain steadfast on the path until all beings are liberated. Venerable Khenpo Rinpoches.

Examining the faults of others will not benefit anyone and only leads to more disturbing emotions, blocking our path to liberation. Penor Rinpoche

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:12 pm

muni wrote:Be well in the wonderful woods of Toyed Shoe Lunt on your way to Semkye Ling!
:tongue: Thanks.

Return to “Lounge”