Article: Leonard Cohen Makes It Darker

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
anjali
Former staff member

Article: Leonard Cohen Makes It Darker

Post by anjali » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:32 pm

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/ ... -it-darker

For Leonard Cohen fans, a rather long, but rewarding read. He comes out with a new album on Oct. 21 titled, You Want It Darker. From the article,
Cohen has unpublished poems to arrange, unfinished lyrics to finish and record or publish. He’s considering doing a book in which poems, like pages of the Talmud, are surrounded by passages of interpretation.

“The big change is the proximity to death,” he said. “I am a tidy kind of guy. I like to tie up the strings if I can. If I can’t, also, that’s O.K. But my natural thrust is to finish things that I’ve begun.”

Cohen said he had a “sweet little song” that he’d been working through, one of many, and, suddenly, he closed his eyes and began reciting the lyrics:

Listen to the hummingbird
Whose wings you cannot see
Listen to the hummingbird
Don’t listen to me.

Listen to the butterfly
Whose days but number three
Listen to the butterfly
Don’t listen to me.

Listen to the mind of God
Which doesn’t need to be
Listen to the mind of God
Don’t listen to me.

He opened his eyes, paused awhile. Then he said, “I don’t think I’ll be able to finish those songs. Maybe, who knows? And maybe I’ll get a second wind, I don’t know. But I don’t dare attach myself to a spiritual strategy. I don’t dare do that. I’ve got some work to do. Take care of business. I am ready to die. I hope it’s not too uncomfortable. That’s about it for me.”

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Article: Leonard Cohen Makes It Darker

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:23 pm

Grew up with his music as a constant presence, really an amazing dude and will be sad to see him pass, though I'm happy to hear (but not that surprised) that he's ready.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

dreambow

Post by dreambow » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:11 am

He's my all time favourite Bujew. Cohen's had a tough trot....what with his close, trusted assistant raiding his retirement fund and leaving the old man fleeced. Joshu Sasaki, his Zen teacher of many years exposed as a sexual predator showing his dark side and finally revealed to all at the age of 105. Somehow Leonard has come through all these dramas in later life, still insightful, creative, seemingly he has handled it well.

mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:38 am

dreambow wrote:He's my all time favourite Bujew. Cohen's had a tough trot....what with his close, trusted assistant raiding his retirement fund and leaving the old man fleeced. Joshu Sasaki, his Zen teacher of many years exposed as a sexual predator showing his dark side and finally revealed to all at the age of 105. Somehow Leonard has come through all these dramas in later life, still insightful, creative, seemingly he has handled it well.

Maybe he is insightful and creative because of those dramas.

(Now who's making it darker? ;) )
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:21 pm

dreambow wrote:Bujew.
Is there a difference between a BuJew and JewBu?

A Buddhist Jew

A Jewish Buddhist
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:17 am

dreambow wrote:He's my all time favourite Bujew. Cohen's had a tough trot....what with his close, trusted assistant raiding his retirement fund and leaving the old man fleeced. Joshu Sasaki, his Zen teacher of many years exposed as a sexual predator showing his dark side and finally revealed to all at the age of 105. Somehow Leonard has come through all these dramas in later life, still insightful, creative, seemingly he has handled it well.
It's been a long time since I stood on a stage in London. It was about fourteen or fifteen years ago. I was sixty years old, just a kid with a crazy dream. Since then I've taken a lot of Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Ritalin, Focalin. I've also studied deeply in the philosophies of the religions ... but cheerfulness kept breaking through.
Live in London
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.

Return to “Lounge”