If Vajrayana is superior to Hinayana, how come no stories of Dipa Ma-like siddhis?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Kras

Re: If Vajrayana is superior to Hinayana, how come no stories of Dipa Ma-like siddhis?

Post by Kras » Wed May 31, 2017 11:34 pm

AlexanderS wrote::spy:
Kras wrote:I think that if someone has to see magical powers to reflect on his life and to try to practice his mind to be less of a hindrance to others, then this is exactly the person NOT to show those powers to.
:anjali:
Do you not think nihilists would seriously reconsider their paradigme if they witnessed an undistuable display of siddhi?
What for? To make the point? That won't do because we live in an age of ignorance. First of all, a lot of people that believe that such powers are obtainable would rather start a witch hunt then convert. Think about half of the world's population - they say that all magic comes from Evil. Worldwide, atheists are still a minority - how do atheist respond to a supernatural phenomena? Disbelieve and some scientific explanation. There's also other group - people who will believe anything without sufficient proof - all spiritual circles are full of those guys. There are also people who believe that they possess such powers but they wouldn't be able to show it to you. I think that you underestimate people's ability to delude themselves and protect their sense of reality no matter what. If someone's karma is to experience such things, good for him. If not, it wouldn't be wise to force them. I believe that for you, the most important thing is to ask yourself why are you asking this question? Why is it important to you?

AlexanderS

Re: If Vajrayana is superior to Hinayana, how come no stories of Dipa Ma-like siddhis?

Post by AlexanderS » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:19 pm

Kras wrote:
AlexanderS wrote::spy:
Kras wrote:I think that if someone has to see magical powers to reflect on his life and to try to practice his mind to be less of a hindrance to others, then this is exactly the person NOT to show those powers to.
:anjali:
Do you not think nihilists would seriously reconsider their paradigme if they witnessed an undistuable display of siddhi?
What for? To make the point? That won't do because we live in an age of ignorance. First of all, a lot of people that believe that such powers are obtainable would rather start a witch hunt then convert. Think about half of the world's population - they say that all magic comes from Evil. Worldwide, atheists are still a minority - how do atheist respond to a supernatural phenomena? Disbelieve and some scientific explanation. There's also other group - people who will believe anything without sufficient proof - all spiritual circles are full of those guys. There are also people who believe that they possess such powers but they wouldn't be able to show it to you. I think that you underestimate people's ability to delude themselves and protect their sense of reality no matter what. If someone's karma is to experience such things, good for him. If not, it wouldn't be wise to force them. I believe that for you, the most important thing is to ask yourself why are you asking this question? Why is it important to you?
It is important to me because it proves that enlightment is something great, transcendent & inconceivable. Maybe in Africa & similar places magic is equated with evil but not everywhere. The belief that mind is nothing other than our brain or our nervous system completely dominates western society. Having siddha's who can demonstrate this is not case in my opinion would be pretty great.

Shakyamuni displayed miracles, Padmashabva displayed miracles, so did his closest disciples and continue to do. People back then benefitted from it. Why shouldn't we?

Would it not be incredible if most people knew as a fact that the rainbow body is real thing rather than being the knowledge of a few select buddhists?

I don't think siddhi's ought to be worshipped or revered, compassion is the real miracle, but I think they are part of the package in dharma and spirituality. It's not a concidence that the most revered buddhist masters in history were also the greatest siddha's.

jhanapeacock

Post by jhanapeacock » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:26 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:06 pm
Sentient Light wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote: Yes, I understood. I'm just saying that it's an interesting siddhi. It could resolve all sorts of questions, e.g. what language(s) did the Buddha teach in?
I'm not sure if that would work. There've been accounts of other masters who can remember past lives when they were monastics during Sakyamuni's time, so I think that may be closer to the siddhi in reference.

I speak a couple different languages, but have the greatest command over English (my second language). Generally, if I view something in a different language, I recall the scenes in English unless I force the memory into the original language. So I think a person might just recall the meaning of the statements moreso than the actual language that was spoken.
Well, that's an interesting point. If you look at the book I quoted the original description from, it says that the person relating the story asked her how she did that and DM said: “I went back mind-moment by mind-moment.” So, it sounds like it wouldn't have been the way you are describing, but what do I know?
tomamundsen wrote:It's also possible that it's even more complicated and radical than what we'd normally think... As Kalu Rinpoche says in this video, the Buddha would be able to speak and everyone in the audience would hear the teaching in their own native tongue.
I had a feeling someone would bring that up. :smile:
Actually that´s how you remember past lives according to the visuddhimagga

Return to “Lounge”