Remote Teaching Centres and Programmes

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Remote Teaching Centres and Programmes

Post by Wayfarer »

I am aware of several online training courses and resources for Buddhist teachings, such as Dharma Ocean, and FPMT, and DharmaNet. However I think a useful resource would be a structured home-study and practice program, with some teacher oversight.

In my case, I have a regular daily practice, and have attended retreats and lectures so am familiar with the Buddhist teachings and principles. But my own practice is a bit patchy and I think a curriculum of things to learn, and a regular schedule of activities, would really help to give it structure; I feel like I'm wasting a lot of time by being so irregular in my practice, but I'm not that good at self-management with nobody to oversee my activities.

For instance, in monastic and retreat centres, there is a regular schedule, and also a calendar, around which observances and practices are organised. A lightweight version of that approach would be really helpful. I wouldn't imagine it would need to go to nearly the same depth as the above-mentioned centres. But it could incorporate some liturgical materials, meditation practices, and things to commit to memory, and so on.

Is the community aware of any such resources out there?
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Malcolm

Re: Remote Teaching Centres and Programmes

Post by Malcolm »

Wayfarer wrote:I am aware of several online training courses and resources for Buddhist teachings, such as Dharma Ocean, and FPMT, and DharmaNet. However I think a useful resource would be a structured home-study and practice program, with some teacher oversight.

In my case, I have a regular daily practice, and have attended retreats and lectures so am familiar with the Buddhist teachings and principles. But my own practice is a bit patchy and I think a curriculum of things to learn, and a regular schedule of activities, would really help to give it structure; I feel like I'm wasting a lot of time by being so irregular in my practice, but I'm not that good at self-management with nobody to oversee my activities.

For instance, in monastic and retreat centres, there is a regular schedule, and also a calendar, around which observances and practices are organised. A lightweight version of that approach would be really helpful. I wouldn't imagine it would need to go to nearly the same depth as the above-mentioned centres. But it could incorporate some liturgical materials, meditation practices, and things to commit to memory, and so on.

Is the community aware of any such resources out there?
Try Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche's Tara Triple Excellence program
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Thanks! Looks really good.
HandsomeMonkeyking

Post by HandsomeMonkeyking »

Wayfarer wrote:Thanks! Looks really good.
Did you end up doing the course or trying it out? How is it? :smile:
philji

Post by philji »

I have been following / practicing the Triple Excellence for some years now and can highly recommend it. It is pretty challenging at times( the content) and is defo not dharma lite. But it is a gradual path through the foundational vehicle..to mahayana and into vajraana vehicles.. moving into mahamudra and dgogchen. However saying that..the entire path is complete with pith instructions to help you in your recognition of mind essence... Of course at some point you will need to receive direct introduction to this.
You can if you wish do the course in segments.. complete part 1... take a break or repeat it for instance before taking on part 2 .
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

HandsomeMonkeyking wrote:
Wayfarer wrote:Thanks! Looks really good.
Did you end up doing the course or trying it out? How is it? :smile:
I did try Dharmasun's online course but I decided not to continue with it. But I would recommend it without hesitation to any dharma student. The production values and the whole system works really well and the content is first rate. And if you do try it and and decide not to go ahead they will refund the fee without any problem.

:namaste:
HandsomeMonkeyking

Thanks for letting us know!
Old Stan

Post by Old Stan »

That's interesting, I have never thought about taking a course online. I guess I am more of a face to face person, but the opportunity to study online is very inspiring!!
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

https://www.fullybeing.org/ Tsoknyi Rinpoche

Vine of Obstacles, Dosho Port's Online Zen teaching portal.
HandsomeMonkeyking

Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

International Buddhist Studies Online programme:
The IBA STUDIES ONLINE website has been created to offer students from all over the world access to the Dharma courses held over the past years at the International Buddhist Academy in Kathmandu, Nepal.

The courses are all free of cost. In accordance with the ancient tradition of requesting the Dharma from the teacher, we ask students to register on this website to have full access to the courses.

The International Buddhist Academy in Kathmandu, Nepal was established by Khenchen Appey Rinpoche in 2001 with the objective to:

* make higher Tibetan Buddhist studies and contemplative practice available to the non-Tibetan community;
* preserve, publish and translate the literary heritage of the Sakya tradition; and
* further the training of the new generation of Sakya leaders.

:namaste:
passel

Post by passel »

I’d second Tergar online. Good resources, tho to access many of them you need to have sat at least one retreat w Mingyur or Tsoknyi personally.

I haven’t been super impressed w what I’ve seen of Vine of Obstacles, but I think some people like it. I appreciate what he’s trying to do- it just seems like there’s not a ton of resources and delivery is a bit stilted
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
passel

Post by passel »

Some people really like Alan Wallace’s online courses from Wisdom Academy. Some people don’t.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

I posted the last one to try and keep these resources in one thread. I haven’t really been able to settle into any of the particular online offerings as yet, although I am keeping up every day practice and reading. But what with the amount of activity going on in this online teaching space, I think it’s good to have a single index/digest of what’s available.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Bumping this thread for the benefit of any recent joiners.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Wayfarer wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:54 pm Bumping this thread for the benefit of any recent joiners.
What about you?Did you choose a program?Do you have a teacher? I hope you have found a teacher.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

I’m going through the IBA program.

Return to “Lounge”