Remote Teaching Centres and Programmes

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Wayfarer

Remote Teaching Centres and Programmes

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:10 am

I am aware of several online training courses and resources for Buddhist teachings, such as Dharma Ocean, and FPMT, and DharmaNet. However I think a useful resource would be a structured home-study and practice program, with some teacher oversight.

In my case, I have a regular daily practice, and have attended retreats and lectures so am familiar with the Buddhist teachings and principles. But my own practice is a bit patchy and I think a curriculum of things to learn, and a regular schedule of activities, would really help to give it structure; I feel like I'm wasting a lot of time by being so irregular in my practice, but I'm not that good at self-management with nobody to oversee my activities.

For instance, in monastic and retreat centres, there is a regular schedule, and also a calendar, around which observances and practices are organised. A lightweight version of that approach would be really helpful. I wouldn't imagine it would need to go to nearly the same depth as the above-mentioned centres. But it could incorporate some liturgical materials, meditation practices, and things to commit to memory, and so on.

Is the community aware of any such resources out there?
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

Malcolm

Re: Remote Teaching Centres and Programmes

Post by Malcolm » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:11 am

Wayfarer wrote:I am aware of several online training courses and resources for Buddhist teachings, such as Dharma Ocean, and FPMT, and DharmaNet. However I think a useful resource would be a structured home-study and practice program, with some teacher oversight.

In my case, I have a regular daily practice, and have attended retreats and lectures so am familiar with the Buddhist teachings and principles. But my own practice is a bit patchy and I think a curriculum of things to learn, and a regular schedule of activities, would really help to give it structure; I feel like I'm wasting a lot of time by being so irregular in my practice, but I'm not that good at self-management with nobody to oversee my activities.

For instance, in monastic and retreat centres, there is a regular schedule, and also a calendar, around which observances and practices are organised. A lightweight version of that approach would be really helpful. I wouldn't imagine it would need to go to nearly the same depth as the above-mentioned centres. But it could incorporate some liturgical materials, meditation practices, and things to commit to memory, and so on.

Is the community aware of any such resources out there?
Try Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche's Tara Triple Excellence program
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:51 am

Thanks! Looks really good.

HandsomeMonkeyking

Post by HandsomeMonkeyking » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:37 pm

Wayfarer wrote:Thanks! Looks really good.
Did you end up doing the course or trying it out? How is it? :smile:

philji

Post by philji » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:58 pm

I have been following / practicing the Triple Excellence for some years now and can highly recommend it. It is pretty challenging at times( the content) and is defo not dharma lite. But it is a gradual path through the foundational vehicle..to mahayana and into vajraana vehicles.. moving into mahamudra and dgogchen. However saying that..the entire path is complete with pith instructions to help you in your recognition of mind essence... Of course at some point you will need to receive direct introduction to this.
You can if you wish do the course in segments.. complete part 1... take a break or repeat it for instance before taking on part 2 .

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:23 am

HandsomeMonkeyking wrote:
Wayfarer wrote:Thanks! Looks really good.
Did you end up doing the course or trying it out? How is it? :smile:
I did try Dharmasun's online course but I decided not to continue with it. But I would recommend it without hesitation to any dharma student. The production values and the whole system works really well and the content is first rate. And if you do try it and and decide not to go ahead they will refund the fee without any problem.

:namaste:

HandsomeMonkeyking

Post by HandsomeMonkeyking » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Thanks for letting us know!

Old Stan

Post by Old Stan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:28 am

That's interesting, I have never thought about taking a course online. I guess I am more of a face to face person, but the opportunity to study online is very inspiring!!

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:11 am

https://www.fullybeing.org/ Tsoknyi Rinpoche

Vine of Obstacles, Dosho Port's Online Zen teaching portal.

HandsomeMonkeyking

Post by HandsomeMonkeyking » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:32 pm

Return to “Lounge”