Unkindness at dharmawheel

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Norwegian

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by Norwegian »

joy&peace wrote:That was a very strange thing to post.
The only strange post here is yours.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Terrify is a very strange word in that sentence.

Not long ago, 31 people from a gang from Russian were arrested in Las Vegas, for doing things like robbing people.

Having said that, I love Russia and her people more than anyone I know.

It was just a very strange thing to post.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
emaho

Post by emaho »

:shrug:
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

We're all working against guns, here. At least that is my assumption of other members of dharmawheel.

Not about to bring them with us to other places..

It's - Life is so immeasurably precious.

Talking is just talking kind friend.

Many good wishes.

Love and peace.
emaho

Post by emaho »

I'm fully aware that not every US citizen has a gun, just as much as I'm aware that the percentage of gun owners among the people who might possibly leave the United States because of their disagreement with the Trump administration is probably relatively small. That's just part of the joke... I'm also very confident that DGA knows that not every German looks like Herr Schulze or has an accordion or a garden gnome. The play with clichés is just what makes this movie so hillarious.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

My main point is we are on the same side - part of the same Sangha.

I offer friendship and kindness in good faith.

Have a blessed day.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

J&p, as far as I am concerned, everyone participating in this thread except maybe Grigoris has spotless character and reputation. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

My dear j&p, I do believe you are overly sensitive... :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

dzogchungpa wrote:J&p, as far as I am concerned, everyone participating in this thread except maybe Grigoris has spotless character and reputation. :smile:
Hey, don't blame me, I was born spotty. I wasn't asked about it.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
muni

Post by muni »

You think people are going to wake up because you are kind? They are not in the least interested in waking up. The bed is nice and comfy.
That is probably why it is said that hardship can be very much useful, to get painful stamps, to wake up. A sweet protective environment can hold us in our not so uncomfortable samsara - dream.

It depends whether motivation is based on kindness, we can only watch own mind for that. "Without altruistic motivation, whatever great is said, it is of no benefit", without Bodhichitta it remains samsara.
In samsara others mind is examined and care, 'compassion' is for oneself. By Dharma own mind is examined; presence, awareness, concern? From that care, compassion flows “for” all. Any “exclusion” or created categorization is own misperception/suffering. (grasping, clinging, rejecting... samsara)
Should not all members be treated with respect?
Of course. Isn't there said: consider the kindness of all, they are the means to awaken? :anjali:
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

KIndness on DW through the Mercy of Mods:

- Thread euthanasia

- Rehabilitation of terminological and tautological inexactitude

- Counselling of those whose reality is shared by extra-terrestrials.......alone

- Dealing with the 'unkindest cuts' and pricks of all (Shakespearean referencing there, with a solitary consonant in absentia)

- Applying redirective energy to the descending blades of derision, invective, flattery and idiocy.......by no means mutually exclusive

- Identifying the adharmic interlocution of the troglodytic and applying remedial salve, or cauterisation, as required

Those duties heretofore elucidated are the means by which we common dolts, all disembodied, may co-exist peacefully in this place of no place.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Mantrik wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:35 pm - Dealing with the 'unkindest cuts' and pricks of all (Shakespearean referencing there, with a solitary consonant in absentia) ...
:applause:
Mantrik wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:35 pm ... place of no place.
Bardo?

:focus:
Kim
srivijaya

Post by srivijaya »

Ayu wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:43 pm Wow, Germany must be hell for Britains then? Now I understand, why they are not amused about us.
Takes some getting used to but it's quite refreshing being as rude as you want and nobody thinking there's anything wrong with it, in fact it's an obligation. It's different in Bavaria and Austria though - they have their own way of doing rude, a few more rules.

Seriously, you could all learn to queue though. Darwin's survival of the fittest doesn't need to apply to the bakery counter. :twothumbsup:
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

srivijaya wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:00 am
Ayu wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:43 pm Wow, Germany must be hell for Britains then? Now I understand, why they are not amused about us.
Takes some getting used to but it's quite refreshing being as rude as you want and nobody thinking there's anything wrong with it, in fact it's an obligation. It's different in Bavaria and Austria though - they have their own way of doing rude, a few more rules.

Seriously, you could all learn to queue though. Darwin's survival of the fittest doesn't need to apply to the bakery counter. :twothumbsup:
Brits are eternally amused by Germans. :)

Most of our best comedies lampoon them, the Italians and French...........and mostly ourselves as a nation.

I wonder how some here on DW would cope with British irony or, gulp, sarcasm!

I understand irony is illegal in the EU, and we have indeed offered refuge to Angela Merkel should she need to flee as we understand her plight. ;)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

srivijaya wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:00 am
Takes some getting used to but it's quite refreshing being as rude as you want and nobody thinking there's anything wrong with it, in fact it's an obligation. It's different in Bavaria and Austria though ...
"Rude as you want" is an English misinterpretation. The borderlines are just at different places.
And Austria is not at all German. Bavaria neither - at the bottom of their heart.

I agree completely. Survival of the fittest doesn't literally mean: those who beat best. Actually it means: those who are fitting best into the circumstances.
I remember traumatizing scenes in the queues of the local bakery shops. But mostly I'm afraid of old couples when I do not bike on the biker's path exactly. They are ready to beat with their walking sticks. :shock:
srivijaya

Post by srivijaya »

Ayu wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:42 pm "Rude as you want" is an English misinterpretation. The borderlines are just at different places.
True, but it's fun misrepresenting Germans and pretending that you don't know you're doing it - a kind of English hobby I guess.
And Austria is not at all German. Bavaria neither - at the bottom of their heart.
I'm sure they would agree wholeheartedly with you there.
I remember traumatizing scenes in the queues of the local bakery shops.
Yeah, I'm sure we were in the same bakery :tongue:
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

It seems to me that the greatest unkindness is to assume that a particular tone or style
of communication is the norm in 'Buddhism'.
And then further to assume that it is down to us as individuals to police that.

Its bullying, pure and simple. Bullying in the name of kindness.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

joy&peace wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:24 pm Is there any?

If so, why?
Unfortunately there is unkindness on DW. A lot over time actually.

Some of it is simple misunderstanding. Therefore that is not unkindness per se. But people can misunderstand each other for a long time and go back and forth about it and say unkind things (IOW the original misunderstanding led to unkind behavior).

But in fact there are deeper, real examples of unkindness. People, esp. moderators, have been targeted by other people. There also appear to be people targeted for other reasons. Some of this may just be people overwhelmed by ignorance and acting in an unthinking manner but I have definitely seen and experienced deliberate unkindness here.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Ayu wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:42 pm ......................

"Rude as you want" is an English misinterpretation. The borderlines are just at different places.

:rolling:
Lost In Transmission
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Simon E. wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:06 pm It seems to me that the greatest unkindness is to assume that a particular tone or style
of communication is the norm in 'Buddhism'.
And then further to assume that it is down to us as individuals to police that.

Its bullying, pure and simple. Bullying in the name of kindness.
:good:
Lost In Transmission

Return to “Lounge”