Unkindness at dharmawheel

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
joy&peace

Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by joy&peace »

Is there any?

If so, why?
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
joy&peace

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by joy&peace »

Should not all members be treated with respect?

The contributions we make - all make - are valuable.
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

This is still just the internet.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

It is a place, a virtual "space," yes.

People are still people though, and they matter.

Contributions matter.

All members should be treated with respect, just as all beings should be.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

I agree that all people here should be respected, but I don't agree that all contributions are valuable. I think even a lot of my comments are useless or even distracting.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Comments from people who care very much about this site, and practice Dharma seriously - are valuable.

I've spent several months in nature meditating; I do not eat meat, I am kind to all beings - especially the ones who are usually not considered - yet I am one of the least popular members here.

As such, sometimes when I post - the thread gets deleted, or something like this.

Were I to protest, I would simply get a warning, past history would tend to show.

I have always liked your posts my friend.
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

There's an Arabic saying, "The nature of rain is the same, but it makes thorns grow in the marshes and flowers in the gardens".

You think people are going to wake up because you are kind? They are not in the least interested in waking up. The bed is nice and comfy.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

J&p, it's kind of like this:

phpBB [video]
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Rick

Post by Rick »

In my opinion Dharma Wheel is a perfect place to practice generosity and compassion and kindness. As is every other place, virtual or "real."

Without bodhicitta things can get very dicey very quickly ... especially if you're taking this Buddhist stuff seriously, rather than just being entertained.

No? Yes? Maybe? Maybe not? :namaste:
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

rachmiel wrote:In my opinion Dharma Wheel is a perfect place to practice generosity and compassion and kindness.
Don't forget the most important one - patience. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

John Lennon said, "there are no problems, only solutions."

Naturally, I normally don't reference non-Dharma statements or quotes - but once in a while I do.

The significant majority of the time, I will only talk about someone like Thich Nhat Hanh, or a few others - Gelek Rimpoche - or some few others.

It's a good statement, however.

A similar one is - there is no Nirvana in Samsara, but there is no Samsara in Nirvana either.

I am one of the most close followers of the terms of service, to the best of my ability, so I won't try to directly quote that one without a source.

In any case, the contributions people make are valuable. It takes a lot of effort to write - to type.

They are given with sensitivity.

May all beings be happy;
May all beings be healthy.
May all beings be at peace.

Namaste Rachmiel
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

joy&peace wrote:John Lennon said, "there are no problems, only solutions."
I kind of prefer Marcel Duchamp on this issue: “There is no solution because there is no problem.”
Rick

Post by Rick »

My fave: "Open your mouth, you're wrong." :tongue:
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

joy&peace wrote:Comments from people who care very much about this site, and practice Dharma seriously - are valuable.

I've spent several months in nature meditating; I do not eat meat, I am kind to all beings - especially the ones who are usually not considered - yet I am one of the least popular members here.

As such, sometimes when I post - the thread gets deleted, or something like this.

Were I to protest, I would simply get a warning, past history would tend to show.

I have always liked your posts my friend.
I deleted a thread in the "Suggestions" subforum lately. Your comment was the last one in that thread but it was not the reason for the removal.
There were two/three reasons:
- the suggestion was feasible, i.e. very much work to collect Malcolm's, Astus' and other's posts and not much use, because anybody can read them anyhow.
- the names of Malcolm and Astus were in the title of that topic. Therefore it could be assumed the topic was about them. Such a title is a slippery slope often, because it might invite to gossip or pillorying,
- and the thread evolved to fun comments about these venerable member's. Very funny indeed, but quite respectless as well.

So, the topic was deleted because of a lack of respect.

I think, rule No. 1, if you want to participate in online conversation: don't take anything personal and don't expect too much from your fellow human beings. :meditate:
Punya

Post by Punya »

I think, rule No. 1, if you want to participate in online conversation: don't take anything personal and don't expect too much from your fellow human beings. :meditate:
Good advice.

Remembering the eight worldly dharmas or concerns helps. In addition, it's worth bearing in mind that we are constantly projecting meanings that were never intended.

I agree not all contributions are valuable, especially not mine, but the contributors are.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

phpBB [video]
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Riju

Post by Riju »

I am a new member and I already feel that the job of moderator is very tough here, and I have no suggestions to help him out.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Ayu wrote:- and the thread evolved to fun comments about these venerable member's. Very funny indeed, but quite respectless as well.
My dear Ayu, humor =/= disrespect.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Riju wrote:I am a new member and I already feel that the job of moderator is very tough here, and I have no suggestions to help him out.
:lol: Funny. No problem.
Grigoris wrote:
Ayu wrote:- and the thread evolved to fun comments about these venerable member's. Very funny indeed, but quite respectless as well.
My dear Ayu, humor =/= disrespect.
The sense of humor differs throughout the globe, but I believe, when you make jokes about a certain person - with their name in the title - they should find it funny as well. Otherwise it is unfriendly even if it is very funny. We are DW, were many people take many things very seriously. We are not "The Onion". :shrug:
emaho

Post by emaho »

I think it's also important to remember that we have people from a lot of different cultures here, and very often things which seem rude from the perspective of one culture are completely normal in another.

For example, directly contradicting somebody is considered horribly rude in most (or all?) Asian cultures, in Europe and the US however this is generally acceptable, however there are some differences between the different countries. Most people from the US tend to sugarcoat their criticism or sandwich it - meaning you first say something positive, then comes the criticism, and then you conclude with something positive. But of course there are also subcultures like people with an academic background who've gone through extensive debate training and who don't waste time on sugarcoating - they come directly to the point and say exactly what they mean. I think Malcolm is a good example for that. Here in Europe we have considerable differences between the countries. Germanic cultures are very direct, we speak out exactly what we think and are completely surprised if other people are taking our directness as offense. But that is nothing compared to the Greek. Take a look at Greg's post and you'll know what I mean ;-) The English and French however are much more subtle and consider us Germans as horribly rude. In England directly criticising somebody is very middle class, so people who claim to be well mannered are world champions of finding indirect ways to express their contempt - damning somebody with faint praise is a good example for that. Of course some of them can also be very direct, depending on their subculture. But they never complain, as you can see in this video :D

phpBB [video]
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen

Return to “Lounge”