Unkindness at dharmawheel

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
joy&peace

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by joy&peace »

Ayu wrote:
joy&peace wrote:Comments from people who care very much about this site, and practice Dharma seriously - are valuable.

I've spent several months in nature meditating; I do not eat meat, I am kind to all beings - especially the ones who are usually not considered - yet I am one of the least popular members here.

As such, sometimes when I post - the thread gets deleted, or something like this.

Were I to protest, I would simply get a warning, past history would tend to show.

I have always liked your posts my friend.
I deleted a thread in the "Suggestions" subforum lately. Your comment was the last one in that thread but it was not the reason for the removal.
There were two/three reasons:
- the suggestion was feasible, i.e. very much work to collect Malcolm's, Astus' and other's posts and not much use, because anybody can read them anyhow.
- the names of Malcolm and Astus were in the title of that topic. Therefore it could be assumed the topic was about them. Such a title is a slippery slope often, because it might invite to gossip or pillorying,
- and the thread evolved to fun comments about these venerable member's. Very funny indeed, but quite respectless as well.

So, the topic was deleted because of a lack of respect.

I think, rule No. 1, if you want to participate in online conversation: don't take anything personal and don't expect too much from your fellow human beings. :meditate:
Ok, Ayu.

Most of the thread - and the comments you mention - seemed to be entirely in friendship and respect.

It does certainly depend on many factors and if one perceives levity as a disrespectful thing, that's certainly one's prerogative.

I did not perceive anything like this, so I did not see it from that angle at all; as I said, almost the entire tone - seemed one of respect.

I wonder how Astus feels about them. . . Chungpa, and Grigoris, I suppose.

Grigoris is a little unknown to me but Chungpa, has spotless character and reputation.

Namaste :buddha2:
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

joy&peace wrote:...but Chungpa, has spotless character and reputation.
:rolling: He'll love this one!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Grigoris wrote:

J&p spittin truth, yo.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Ayu wrote:... Malcolm ...
Who?

:stirthepot:
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

dzogchungpa wrote:
Grigoris wrote:

J&p spittin truth, yo.
Look, if you have a white canvas and splatter some black paint on it, well... suddenly it has spots on it (it is no longer spotless). But if you keep splattering black paint on it, well... at some point it becomes completely covered with paint and looks spotless again.

So I guess J&p is spittin some sort of truth... :tongue:

phpBB [video]

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

emaho wrote:I think it's also important to remember that we have people from a lot of different cultures here, and very often things which seem rude from the perspective of one culture are completely normal in another.

For example, directly contradicting somebody is considered horribly rude in most (or all?) Asian cultures, in Europe and the US however this is generally acceptable, however there are some differences between the different countries. Most people from the US tend to sugarcoat their criticism or sandwich it - meaning you first say something positive, then comes the criticism, and then you conclude with something positive. But of course there are also subcultures like people with an academic background who've gone through extensive debate training and who don't waste time on sugarcoating - they come directly to the point and say exactly what they mean. I think Malcolm is a good example for that. Here in Europe we have considerable differences between the countries. Germanic cultures are very direct, we speak out exactly what we think and are completely surprised if other people are taking our directness as offense. But that is nothing compared to the Greek. Take a look at Greg's post and you'll know what I mean ;-) The English and French however are much more subtle and consider us Germans as horribly rude. In England directly criticising somebody is very middle class, so people who claim to be well mannered are world champions of finding indirect ways to express their contempt - damning somebody with faint praise is a good example for that. Of course some of them can also be very direct, depending on their subculture. But they never complain, as you can see in this video :D

phpBB [video]
Wow, Germany must be hell for Britains then? Now I understand, why they are not amused about us.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Ayu wrote:Wow, Germany must be hell for Britains then? Now I understand, why they are not amused about us.
I don't think any Europeans are amused by the Germans, except maybe the Austrians... :tongue:

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

dzogchungpa wrote:
Grigoris wrote:

J&p spittin truth, yo.
:tongue: Yes, yes, yes - have mercy y'all.

I'm just a poor little moderator - far away from home.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Grigoris wrote:
Ayu wrote:Wow, Germany must be hell for Britains then? Now I understand, why they are not amused about us.
I don't think any Europeans are amused by the Germans, except maybe the Austrians... :tongue:
Come to the USA, Germans. We love you and we have good food and music too. Bring your accordion!

phpBB [video]
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Grigoris wrote:
No way - the Austrians don't like Germans.
phpBB [video]
emaho

Post by emaho »

Grigoris wrote:I don't think any Europeans are amused by the Germans...
Especially the Greek aren't... In my defense I have to say I never voted for Merkel and Schäuble :shrug:
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

I like this idea.

Germans are always welcome wherever I am. . .
emaho

Post by emaho »

DGA wrote:Come to the USA, Germans. We love you and we have good food and music too. Bring your accordion!
Haha, great thanks, likewise :smile: I have to watch that movie :twothumbsup:

And American refugees are always welcome in Germany (though you might have to leave your guns at home)
American Refugees Welcome.jpg
American Refugees Welcome.jpg (85.97 KiB) Viewed 2973 times
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

What?

Emaho, that's pretty loud.
emaho

Post by emaho »

joy&peace wrote:What?

Emaho, that's pretty loud.
Is that a good or bad thing?
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

it depends. If the message was hard to get across, then it was good.

For those with highly sensitive hearing, it is not necessary to be very loud.

Since this is an analogy - those who pay attention to detail and have a good memory would probably be an adequate corollary.

My point was simply, that was very loud.

I say the same thing in real life, at times... Or also, it could be good and bad, or neither good or bad... I would say the last one in the ultimate realm, and the second to last in the phenomenal one.
emaho

Post by emaho »

I don't know what to say, joy&peace. My post was meant as a harmless and friendly joke. What exactly is it you find offending?
emaho

Post by emaho »

While we're talking about cultural differences and offending each other, this seems to be fun:

51 Ways to Offend a Russian: An American Blunders Through Russia

and the same on amazon.de
Why do things Russians find normal so often terrify Americans? Why do things Americans consider perfectly normal so often upset Russians? Why is it so easy to walk unknowingly right into one cultural taboo after another?

51 Ways to Offend a Russian is an adventure in how not to assimilate into another culture. It is the culmination of the author’s five years spent blundering through endless mistakes, miscalculations, and misunderstandings in Russia. This humorous collection of bite-sized anecdotes will leave you in tears - from both laughter and frustration alike.
The kindle e-Book is currently available for 0.00$, I don't know how long it will be free. (I accidentally just found it on a website that specializes in presenting free ebooks, most of them are special offers and free for only a day.)
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

The people you are writing to are the ones devoted to love, peace - nonviolence, Dharma - often for several or many generations.

These are not the ones doing causes for war but with every ounce of their heart and being - sharing and creating peace - practicing Dana - and the rest.

Sharing peace and the four divine abodes;

Emaho, no offense was taken; I am simply stating - it was a very loud thing to put up.

My tone is meant with friendship and kindness -- not as a teacher, just using words to communicate.

Namaste
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

That was a very strange thing to post.

Return to “Lounge”