Unkindness at dharmawheel

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
joy&peace
Posts: 917
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 4:53 pm

Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by joy&peace » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:24 pm

Is there any?

If so, why?
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

joy&peace
Posts: 917
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by joy&peace » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:25 pm

Should not all members be treated with respect?

The contributions we make - all make - are valuable.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

User avatar
PuerAzaelis
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by PuerAzaelis » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:34 pm

This is still just the internet.
And nobody in all of Oz. No Wizard that there is or was.

joy&peace
Posts: 917
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by joy&peace » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:47 pm

It is a place, a virtual "space," yes.

People are still people though, and they matter.

Contributions matter.

All members should be treated with respect, just as all beings should be.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

User avatar
Thomas Amundsen
Posts: 1684
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:50 pm

I agree that all people here should be respected, but I don't agree that all contributions are valuable. I think even a lot of my comments are useless or even distracting.

joy&peace
Posts: 917
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by joy&peace » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:58 pm

Comments from people who care very much about this site, and practice Dharma seriously - are valuable.

I've spent several months in nature meditating; I do not eat meat, I am kind to all beings - especially the ones who are usually not considered - yet I am one of the least popular members here.

As such, sometimes when I post - the thread gets deleted, or something like this.

Were I to protest, I would simply get a warning, past history would tend to show.

I have always liked your posts my friend.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

User avatar
PuerAzaelis
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by PuerAzaelis » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:11 am

There's an Arabic saying, "The nature of rain is the same, but it makes thorns grow in the marshes and flowers in the gardens".

You think people are going to wake up because you are kind? They are not in the least interested in waking up. The bed is nice and comfy.
And nobody in all of Oz. No Wizard that there is or was.

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 5617
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:31 am

J&p, it's kind of like this:

phpBB [video]
If you focus on an object, you are not meditating. - Dudjom Rinpoche

User avatar
Rick
Posts: 1545
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:05 am

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by Rick » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:42 am

In my opinion Dharma Wheel is a perfect place to practice generosity and compassion and kindness. As is every other place, virtual or "real."

Without bodhicitta things can get very dicey very quickly ... especially if you're taking this Buddhist stuff seriously, rather than just being entertained.

No? Yes? Maybe? Maybe not? :namaste:
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 5617
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:53 am

rachmiel wrote:In my opinion Dharma Wheel is a perfect place to practice generosity and compassion and kindness.
Don't forget the most important one - patience. :smile:
If you focus on an object, you are not meditating. - Dudjom Rinpoche

joy&peace
Posts: 917
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by joy&peace » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:57 am

John Lennon said, "there are no problems, only solutions."

Naturally, I normally don't reference non-Dharma statements or quotes - but once in a while I do.

The significant majority of the time, I will only talk about someone like Thich Nhat Hanh, or a few others - Gelek Rimpoche - or some few others.

It's a good statement, however.

A similar one is - there is no Nirvana in Samsara, but there is no Samsara in Nirvana either.

I am one of the most close followers of the terms of service, to the best of my ability, so I won't try to directly quote that one without a source.

In any case, the contributions people make are valuable. It takes a lot of effort to write - to type.

They are given with sensitivity.

May all beings be happy;
May all beings be healthy.
May all beings be at peace.

Namaste Rachmiel
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 5617
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:09 am

joy&peace wrote:John Lennon said, "there are no problems, only solutions."
I kind of prefer Marcel Duchamp on this issue: “There is no solution because there is no problem.”
If you focus on an object, you are not meditating. - Dudjom Rinpoche

User avatar
Rick
Posts: 1545
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:05 am

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by Rick » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:20 am

My fave: "Open your mouth, you're wrong." :tongue:
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

User avatar
Ayu
Former staff member
Posts: 6779
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am
Location: Europe

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by Ayu » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:47 am

joy&peace wrote:Comments from people who care very much about this site, and practice Dharma seriously - are valuable.

I've spent several months in nature meditating; I do not eat meat, I am kind to all beings - especially the ones who are usually not considered - yet I am one of the least popular members here.

As such, sometimes when I post - the thread gets deleted, or something like this.

Were I to protest, I would simply get a warning, past history would tend to show.

I have always liked your posts my friend.
I deleted a thread in the "Suggestions" subforum lately. Your comment was the last one in that thread but it was not the reason for the removal.
There were two/three reasons:
- the suggestion was feasible, i.e. very much work to collect Malcolm's, Astus' and other's posts and not much use, because anybody can read them anyhow.
- the names of Malcolm and Astus were in the title of that topic. Therefore it could be assumed the topic was about them. Such a title is a slippery slope often, because it might invite to gossip or pillorying,
- and the thread evolved to fun comments about these venerable member's. Very funny indeed, but quite respectless as well.

So, the topic was deleted because of a lack of respect.

I think, rule No. 1, if you want to participate in online conversation: don't take anything personal and don't expect too much from your fellow human beings. :meditate:
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Punya
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by Punya » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:37 am

I think, rule No. 1, if you want to participate in online conversation: don't take anything personal and don't expect too much from your fellow human beings. :meditate:
Good advice.

Remembering the eight worldly dharmas or concerns helps. In addition, it's worth bearing in mind that we are constantly projecting meanings that were never intended.

I agree not all contributions are valuable, especially not mine, but the contributors are.
Just as the trunk of an ordinary tree
Lying in the forests of the Malaya mountains
Absorbs the perfume of sandal from the moist leaves and branches
So you come to resemble who whomever you follow.

~Words of My Perfect Teacher

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 1110
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 5:53 am
Location: California

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by Mkoll » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:13 pm

phpBB [video]
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Riju
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:50 am

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by Riju » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:10 pm

I am a new member and I already feel that the job of moderator is very tough here, and I have no suggestions to help him out.

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 15153
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by Grigoris » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:11 pm

Ayu wrote:- and the thread evolved to fun comments about these venerable member's. Very funny indeed, but quite respectless as well.
My dear Ayu, humor =/= disrespect.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
Ayu
Former staff member
Posts: 6779
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am
Location: Europe

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by Ayu » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:21 pm

Riju wrote:I am a new member and I already feel that the job of moderator is very tough here, and I have no suggestions to help him out.
:lol: Funny. No problem.
Grigoris wrote:
Ayu wrote:- and the thread evolved to fun comments about these venerable member's. Very funny indeed, but quite respectless as well.
My dear Ayu, humor =/= disrespect.
The sense of humor differs throughout the globe, but I believe, when you make jokes about a certain person - with their name in the title - they should find it funny as well. Otherwise it is unfriendly even if it is very funny. We are DW, were many people take many things very seriously. We are not "The Onion". :shrug:
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

emaho
Posts: 792
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: Unkindness at dharmawheel

Post by emaho » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:42 pm

I think it's also important to remember that we have people from a lot of different cultures here, and very often things which seem rude from the perspective of one culture are completely normal in another.

For example, directly contradicting somebody is considered horribly rude in most (or all?) Asian cultures, in Europe and the US however this is generally acceptable, however there are some differences between the different countries. Most people from the US tend to sugarcoat their criticism or sandwich it - meaning you first say something positive, then comes the criticism, and then you conclude with something positive. But of course there are also subcultures like people with an academic background who've gone through extensive debate training and who don't waste time on sugarcoating - they come directly to the point and say exactly what they mean. I think Malcolm is a good example for that. Here in Europe we have considerable differences between the countries. Germanic cultures are very direct, we speak out exactly what we think and are completely surprised if other people are taking our directness as offense. But that is nothing compared to the Greek. Take a look at Greg's post and you'll know what I mean ;-) The English and French however are much more subtle and consider us Germans as horribly rude. In England directly criticising somebody is very middle class, so people who claim to be well mannered are world champions of finding indirect ways to express their contempt - damning somebody with faint praise is a good example for that. Of course some of them can also be very direct, depending on their subculture. But they never complain, as you can see in this video :D

phpBB [video]
"Do yourself a favor and get out of Samsara!" Dudjom Rinpoche, Counsels From My Heart

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Motova, tiagolps, Yahoo [Bot] and 50 guests