Rescue Pets

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Post Reply
DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 8781
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Rescue Pets

Post by DGA » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:53 am

This topic came up in a separate discussion but I think it's important enough for its own thread. At least it's important to me, since rescue pets are a big part of my life.

We have four of them here at the Anderson Mammal Pavilion: Donovan and Leonard (both tomcats), and Lewis and Uma (a shiba inu mutt and whippet mutt, respectively). All four of them contribute joy and hijinks and cleverness to our lives. One dog is too smart for his own good, and the other is a happy idiot, and they are hilarious together. Our daughter (now 14 months) is growing up in a lively, furry world, where her earliest experiences include how to get along with nonhuman creatures.

I won't dwell on the hard parts, because I know all four of them were abused (some badly) prior to us taking them in, and some care in rehabilitation was needed, but I bring it up only to confirm that it's been totally worth it for us two-leggeds, and I believe for them too.

Anyone else?

User avatar
jkarlins
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:58 am
Location: Amesbury, MA USA

Re: Rescue Pets

Post by jkarlins » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:51 am

My cat Cecelia (aka Big Celia) was a rescue. She is very gentle and loves to roll on the ground in greeting. She's a big eater, and we have to limit her food pretty strictly. She is, however, quite hefty. Right now she's getting over a case of the fleas.

User avatar
Ayu
Former staff member
Posts: 6788
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am
Location: Europe

Re: Rescue Pets

Post by Ayu » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:08 am

My tomcat was found together with his sibling in a roadside ditch when they were cute kittens. He grew up to a very elegant grey-furred decent gentleman and he lived in our house for nine years, until he got a strange deadly virus.
His character was to be aloof and he only accepted my mother and me to feed or to touch him. So, he lead a lonesome life within our appartment, enjoying long naps in the sun that was shining through the windows.
We had a second foster cat for a while, but they both didn't socialize with eachother. Due to the second cat we got a huge fleas problem, because the fleas prefered me. Still it is a fact that I have to avoid animals that carry fleas, because I'm way too attractive for them. I apply essencial lavender oil on my feet, so I can prevent the fleas to come with me and move into my house.

In summary, I'm ambivalent about having pets. For sure it is good to rescue them and I think, it is good for children to have pets. But I never want to have cats, birds or rabbits again inside my house. All the years I had the impression the cat lives in prison. It saddened me and my estimation was, it is not appropriate to keep animals in narrow houses.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

User avatar
jkarlins
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:58 am
Location: Amesbury, MA USA

Re: Rescue Pets

Post by jkarlins » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:36 am

Ayu wrote:My tomcat was found together with his sibling in a roadside ditch when they were cute kittens. He grew up to a very elegant grey-furred decent gentleman and he lived in our house for nine years, until he got a strange deadly virus.
His character was to be aloof and he only accepted my mother and me to feed or to touch him. So, he lead a lonesome life within our appartment, enjoying long naps in the sun that was shining through the windows.
We had a second foster cat for a while, but they both didn't socialize with eachother. Due to the second cat we got a huge fleas problem, because the fleas prefered me. Still it is a fact that I have to avoid animals that carry fleas, because I'm way too attractive for them. I apply essencial lavender oil on my feet, so I can prevent the fleas to come with me and move into my house.

In summary, I'm ambivalent about having pets. For sure it is good to rescue them and I think, it is good for children to have pets. But I never want to have cats, birds or rabbits again inside my house. All the years I had the impression the cat lives in prison. It saddened me and my estimation was, it is not appropriate to keep animals in narrow houses.
Your cat sounds very nice. Lavender oil helps a lot. I've been putting it on my legs.

User avatar
Wayfarer
Posts: 3517
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 8:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Rescue Pets

Post by Wayfarer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:06 am

IMG_4181 (1).jpg
IMG_4181 (1).jpg (13.29 KiB) Viewed 550 times
I have this here rescue dog, a sheepdog-collie cross called River (wearing Christmas attire, last Christmas day). Had him since Feb 2016, but he was about eight when we got him so, no pup. Had been very neglected, almost to the point of starvation, and had massive separation anxiety, but has settled down now. Having said that, he always wants to be a close proximity to his people 24/7, sleeps at the foot of the bed, follows you around all day. But we love him, even though he's annoying.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities; in the expert's mind there are few ~ Suzuki-roshi

User avatar
jkarlins
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:58 am
Location: Amesbury, MA USA

Re: Rescue Pets

Post by jkarlins » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:36 pm

Wayfarer wrote:River.jpg
I have this here rescue dog, a sheepdog-collie cross called River (wearing Christmas attire, last Christmas day). Had him since Feb 2016, but he was about eight when we got him so, no pup. Had been very neglected, almost to the point of starvation, and had massive separation anxiety, but has settled down now. Having said that, he always wants to be a close proximity to his people 24/7, sleeps at the foot of the bed, follows you around all day. But we love him, even though he's annoying.
Aww look at that little sweetie! My Celia can be very needy too, I think it might be a rescue thing. I did get her when she was a kitten, so maybe not.

User avatar
Meido
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:50 am
Contact:

Re: Rescue Pets

Post by Meido » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:46 pm

I'm part of this club. This guy was picked up in Chicago by city animal control at ~4 months. A well-known no-kill shelter and adoption service, PAWS (highly recommended), nabbed him from the city pound, and he found his way to me. Half-lab, half-border collie, easily the smartest dog I've known. Good camping/hiking companion.

As he grew up in meditation halls, he has the signals down: he'll lie down when zazen starts and jump up for kinhin. Next year he takes up his post as Korinji's first watchdog...an idyllic, woodland life far removed from his origins, and I'm pleased to give it to him. If all goes according to plan he'll be the first interment in the monastery cemetery.

Good friend, we were fortunate to connect.
Faolan.jpg
Faolan.jpg (84.82 KiB) Viewed 521 times
Even though you have attained insight into the True Nature (kensho), there is yet the barrier of differentiation, and there is the One Path of Advanced Practice. If you have not yet even seen into the True Nature, what a lot there is yet to do! - Torei

The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice
Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺] - http://www.korinji.org
Madison, WI Rinzai Zen Community [機山龍源寺] - http://www.madisonrinzaizen.org
The Rinzai Zen Community - http://www.rinzaizen.org

User avatar
jkarlins
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:58 am
Location: Amesbury, MA USA

Re: Rescue Pets

Post by jkarlins » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Meido wrote:I'm part of this club. This guy was picked up in Chicago by city animal control at ~4 months. A well-known no-kill shelter and adoption service, PAWS (highly recommended), nabbed him from the city pound, and he found his way to me. Half-lab, half-border collie, easily the smartest dog I've known. Good camping/hiking companion.

As he grew up in meditation halls, he has the signals down: he'll lie down when zazen starts and jump up for kinhin. Next year he takes up his post as Korinji's first watchdog...an idyllic, woodland life far removed from his origins, and I'm pleased to give it to him. If all goes according to plan he'll be the first interment in the monastery cemetery.

Good friend, we were fortunate to connect.

Faolan.jpg
Hmmm.... a zen dog... there's a terrible joke in there somewhere....

User avatar
Meido
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:50 am
Contact:

Re: Rescue Pets

Post by Meido » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:20 pm

jkarlins wrote:Hmmm.... a zen dog... there's a terrible joke in there somewhere....
Yes, that dog of Joshu's just won't leave some people alone.

Of course, cats famously do not always fare well in Zen circles.

~ Meido
Even though you have attained insight into the True Nature (kensho), there is yet the barrier of differentiation, and there is the One Path of Advanced Practice. If you have not yet even seen into the True Nature, what a lot there is yet to do! - Torei

The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice
Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺] - http://www.korinji.org
Madison, WI Rinzai Zen Community [機山龍源寺] - http://www.madisonrinzaizen.org
The Rinzai Zen Community - http://www.rinzaizen.org

User avatar
jkarlins
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:58 am
Location: Amesbury, MA USA

Re: Rescue Pets

Post by jkarlins » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:50 pm

Meido wrote:
jkarlins wrote:Hmmm.... a zen dog... there's a terrible joke in there somewhere....
Yes, that dog of Joshu's just won't leave some people alone.

Of course, cats famously do not always fare well in Zen circles.

~ Meido
True. My cat's so big you'd have to cut her in thirds

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 15158
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Rescue Pets

Post by Grigoris » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:40 pm

We have two rescue cats. A black female called Kremlis and a male called Rundi.

I found Rundi blind and almost starved to death. He is now a big fat happy cat that bumps his way around our house and patio.

Kremlis loves to beat up other cats and is the queen of the house. One time she adopted and raised another rescue kitten we had (Bully, now deceased). She is part Siamese and used to give us the most beautiful fluffy Siamese kittens you have ever seen. At least two per litter.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Punya
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: Rescue Pets

Post by Punya » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:23 pm

Dexter.jpg
Dexter.jpg (31 KiB) Viewed 435 times
Dexter is my son's dog, who came to us via a couple who could no longer keep him. We don't know all the details of his early life, but we do know he was mistreated. It took a while for us to gain his trust and back then he didn't like to be touched in certain ways. Sadly, he has no idea how to play ball.

Despite this, he is a very sweet natured dog and intelligent. The only thing people who visit our home or encounter him in the park have to fear is being licked to death.

As we both work, Dexter sits around all day waiting for us to come home, so like you Ayu, I feel a bit ambivalent about animal keeping. Hopefully when my son moves to his new home Dexter will have a companion.

I have to confess that I have viewed quite a few PAWS youtube videos Meido. What they tell me is that all dogs only want to be treated with love and compassion (just like us humans).
Last edited by Punya on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just as the trunk of an ordinary tree
Lying in the forests of the Malaya mountains
Absorbs the perfume of sandal from the moist leaves and branches
So you come to resemble who whomever you follow.

~Words of My Perfect Teacher

User avatar
Ayu
Former staff member
Posts: 6788
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am
Location: Europe

Re: Rescue Pets

Post by Ayu » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:30 pm

I believe, most dogs love to be on duty. Guarding something or following commands and being praised for their good job makes them completely happy.

phpBB [video]
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

User avatar
KathyLauren
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:22 pm
Location: East Coast of Canada
Contact:

Re: Rescue Pets

Post by KathyLauren » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Liesl, a 12 year old tabby cat, was found as a kitten in a feral colony under a community hall. Though young when we adopted her, she was already old enough to be permanently feral. She does not get along well with other cats, tolerating them very grudgingly. My wife is the only person who can approach her. We have had house sitters feed her and change her litter for days without ever seeing her, because she hides from strangers.

We adopted Riley, now 20, as a 17 year old from a private shelter. No one else wanted him because of his age. He is a black long-hair, and was very scrawny when we adopted him. We didn't honestly think he would last this long, but he is in moderately good health, especially considering his age. He has tons of personality. Though his favourite activity is sleeping, followed closely by eating, he loves to chase Liesl. She will hiss, yell and growl at him, and then the chase is on.

Larkin is an 8 year old retired racing greyhound. Greyhounds are only bred for racing. Prior to the spread of rescue groups they were destroyed upon retirement, often in exceptionally cruel ways. It is only recently, with the growth of an organized rescue system, that more retired racers are adopted into families. So essentially all greyhound pets are rescues. Larkin is a quiet dog, but very smart. She is afraid of the cats, who show her no respect at all.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Rescue Pets

Post by TharpaChodron » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Here's our rescue pets (minus our rescue cat). Got two from a shelter and the one in front I literally had to do a mission on the streets in Los Angeles to get her. It involved luring her with hot dogs, grabbing her and quickly tossing her into the car. She's now the most attached to me, in an almost neurotic way. :heart:
Attachments
IMG_8525.jpg
IMG_8525.jpg (187.26 KiB) Viewed 359 times

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests