Winter festivities

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Tiago Simões

Winter festivities

Post by Tiago Simões »

So, what/how do you all celebrate on the winter time? Christmas with christian family? More pagan roots with Yule/saturnalia type feast? Or nothing at all?

How do you connect this festive season with dharma? I like the idea of celebrating the winter solstice. Any practice associated with this particular date in, for example the tibetan calendar?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Winter festivities

Post by Queequeg »

We celebrate New Years. Traditionally, New Year was celebrated on the Chinese lunar calendar, but in modern times, the holiday has been synced to the Gregorian Calendar. New Year marks the renewal of the year and the beginning of Spring when the world starts to come back to life. In Japan, New Year's is the biggest holiday of the year.
New Year’s Day marks the first day, the first month, the beginning of the year, and the start of spring. A person who celebrates this day will accumulate virtue and be loved by all, just as the moon becomes full gradually, moving from west to east, and as the sun shines more brightly, traveling from east to west.
-Nichiren
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:59 pm We celebrate New Years. Traditionally, New Year was celebrated on the Chinese lunar calendar, but in modern times, the holiday has been synced to the Gregorian Calendar.
Well the Tibetan new year is around February ... :tongue: It was never synced to the Gregorian because the Tibetan calendar is important for tibetan astrology.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

tiagolps wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:33 pm So, what/how do you all celebrate on the winter time?
drinking
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

DGA wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:47 pm
tiagolps wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:33 pm So, what/how do you all celebrate on the winter time?
drinking
:cheers:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

drinking
Just the winter time? I find it is appropriate to celebrate with the Water of Life whenever it is appropriate.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:23 pm
drinking
Just the winter time? I find it is appropriate to celebrate with the Water of Life whenever it is appropriate.
I'm a year-round drinker but no one asked about spring, summer, or fall

winter is time for bourbon and rye. Or well-aged, fruity reds. I like the booze that gives teenagers the worst hangovers
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

DGA wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:44 pm I'm a year-round drinker but no one asked about spring, summer, or fall

winter is time for bourbon and rye. Or well-aged, fruity reds. I like the booze that gives teenagers the worst hangovers
I'm partial to the ryes - year round. These days my go to is Michters. I don't even need to go out of my way to buy it anymore - my amazing wife restocks when I run low! What's your whisk(e)y of choice?

And, staying on topic, rye is a great way to keep the belly warm when the cold descends. :thumbsup:
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

Usually a lhasang, various sadhanas. I set up a little Santa shrine somewhere. I have developed quite the Santa collection over the years.

More offerings on the shrine.

As far as libations, I like beer these days. Something fancy. I don't drink much, so I can afford to go fancy.

Jake
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

DGA wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:44 pmI like the booze that gives teenagers the worst hangovers.
As a young adult with low alcohol tolerance, I find that highly offensive!

Jk, about the being offended part, the rest is true... :cheers:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I don't find it really offensive, but I have to add: one of the most saddening things about Christmas time are the many lonely drunken people in town.

For me Christmas is cooking and eating... And NOT eating all those chocolates and cookies people bring. :lol: It's a habit were I live that every visitor brings some chocolate for the children. But they do not eat it. :roll:

And I light many candles from December to January. This gives the feeling of living in a cosy cave: having a nice cup of tea and watching the fire.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:23 pm
drinking

Me too. But never at dusk.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

dzogchungpa wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:58 pm Me too. But never at dusk.
There is definitely something to be said for moderation.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

jkarlins wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:00 pm Usually a lhasang, various sadhanas. I set up a little Santa shrine somewhere. I have developed quite the Santa collection over the years.

More offerings on the shrine.

As far as libations, I like beer these days. Something fancy. I don't drink much, so I can afford to go fancy.

Jake
What did you do to your hair?
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

I shave my head every month or two. I like it long or short, but my wife insists on it short. So blame her. Off topic. etc.
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Ayu wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:35 pm For me Christmas is cooking and eating... And NOT eating all those chocolates and cookies people bring. :lol: It's a habit were I live that every visitor brings some chocolate for the children. But they do not eat it. :roll:
If you have a problem with too much chocolate, I'll take care of that for you. I am a serious chocoholic. :thumbsup:

We light up the darkness of the winter solstice with coloured lights. That's about it. Oh, and eat chocolate.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Yes, it would be extremely wonderful, if one could send surplus food to other parts of the world.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Ayu wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:49 am Yes, it would be extremely wonderful, if one could send surplus food to other parts of the world.
You're right, how is that not a service yet?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

tiagolps wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:29 am
Ayu wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:49 am Yes, it would be extremely wonderful, if one could send surplus food to other parts of the world.
You're right, how is that not a service yet?
:smile: Must be a problem of durability of the dishes and of money for postage.
But in our German bigger cities we have a volunteer movement ("Tafeln"): people who collect surplus goods from food stores and give them away/sell them for very cheap price in their shops. Many people rely on this service. It's still not always enough for everybody.

http://www.foodexplorers.net/tafel-feed-needy
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

I bet that will happen, seems like such a good idea.

Of course, there are ways to donate food if we're thinking a little closer to home. One way I could be better about the holidays is by being a little more generous.

Jake

Return to “Lounge”