Winter festivities

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Winter festivities

Post by DGA »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:16 pm
DGA wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:44 pm I'm a year-round drinker but no one asked about spring, summer, or fall

winter is time for bourbon and rye. Or well-aged, fruity reds. I like the booze that gives teenagers the worst hangovers
I'm partial to the ryes - year round. These days my go to is Michters. I don't even need to go out of my way to buy it anymore - my amazing wife restocks when I run low! What's your whisk(e)y of choice?
I will try Michters on your recommendation.

I usually go with the cheap stuff and drink it neat, at room temperature, out of a sake bowl or coffee mug. My drinking list is a catalogue of old-man heteronormativity:

Old Crow
Old Granddad
Old Overholt
Ezra Brooks
Evan Williams

I once got some High West Rye as a gift and that was real treat. Similar for Buffalo Trace, but High West was superior to my palate at least. Bulleit is overrated in my opinion.

Booze is good but I try not to drink every day because I start looking like my drunk uncles, and that's unacceptable
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

The Michters is a little pricey. I guess its mid-shelf.

I agree Bulleitt is overrated. Its a little too refined. A lot of bars have it, though, so...

Jim Beam Rye is a nice one, too, on the economic end of the spectrum. If I'm buying, that's the one I pick up. My wife, though, I guess likes my reaction when I see the Michters. I don't think she realizes my reaction would be similar regardless of what she brought me. Evan Williams is good. The Old Grandad - haven't had that one in a while! I'll check those others.

Another one is Wild Turkey, good, solid standby.

Neat and room temperature is the only way to drink whiskey. In moderation, of course, unless its a special occasion. Cheers!
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Minobu

Warning about to make you thirsty

Post by Minobu »

i rarely drink but if i do it's glenlivet..very smooth even their cheapest one...

for wine with red meat this is really good and not to expensive.

now they went and turned this into a screw off cap..yikes..but with cheese this one is of choice

as for beer, i never drink Canadian swill..the whole labbatt's 50 and molsons , which was bought out by" and how's your Busch "
is just swill.
this is the one for me...try having a cob of corn salted and buttered with one of these..don't ask me why , but the Alchemy of it is amazing. And does not work the same with any other beer..

Winter is my favourite time of the year...along with Fall coming a close second..summer has turned into hell..humid with pollution sticking to your skin..although the complete destruction of coal fired energy plants has turned Toronto from this ;

smoggy city

to this

not as smoggy anymore
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Ayu wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:35 pm I don't find it really offensive, but I have to add: one of the most saddening things about Christmas time are the many lonely drunken people in town.
Where do you see these lonely drunks, are they sitting alone in bars? I fear that's my future someday...no kids, distant family spread across the country. Maybe I should move to Germany. :|

Speaking of, my Dharma center which is two hours away celebrates Thanksgiving together with a big feast and I really want to start going there to avoid ever having a future such as what you mention.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

TharpaChodron wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:58 pm
Ayu wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:35 pm I don't find it really offensive, but I have to add: one of the most saddening things about Christmas time are the many lonely drunken people in town.
Where do you see these lonely drunks, are they sitting alone in bars? I fear that's my future someday...no kids, distant family spread across the country. Maybe I should move to Germany. :|
In December you see them everywhere in the streets, the subway. They try to have a good time. They try to stand christmas. :shrug:
Speaking of, my Dharma center which is two hours away celebrates Thanksgiving together with a big feast and I really want to start going there to avoid ever having a future such as what you mention.
I think you'll be able to warm them up with your inner light. Won't you? :smile:
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

I hope so. This got me thinking and coming up with some ideas. I worked for years at a homeless shelter for young adults, age 18-21, and we would always have volunteers come and celebrate with the kids during the holidays. So, it's probably time to start doing some volunteering of my own. :smile:
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

TharpaChodron wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:21 am I hope so. This got me thinking and coming up with some ideas. I worked for years at a homeless shelter for young adults, age 18-21, and we would always have volunteers come and celebrate with the kids during the holidays. So, it's probably time to start doing some volunteering of my own. :smile:
That's the spirit of the season after all.

:cheers:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

I forgot about Thanksgiving. Wonderful holiday.

The good will of the first one was undermined by the subsequent genocide of Native Americans. Along with the gratitude that is celebrated that day, we try to also remember the cruelty and moral failures that are inextricable factors in almost everything we consider "good."

http://www.history.com/topics/thanksgiv ... anksgiving
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

DGA wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:47 pm
Queequeg wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:16 pm
DGA wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:44 pm I'm a year-round drinker but no one asked about spring, summer, or fall

winter is time for bourbon and rye. Or well-aged, fruity reds. I like the booze that gives teenagers the worst hangovers
I'm partial to the ryes - year round. These days my go to is Michters. I don't even need to go out of my way to buy it anymore - my amazing wife restocks when I run low! What's your whisk(e)y of choice?
I will try Michters on your recommendation.
I did. It was good! I liked it a lot.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

tiagolps wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:33 pm So, what/how do you all celebrate on the winter time? Christmas with christian family? More pagan roots with Yule/saturnalia type feast? Or nothing at all?

How do you connect this festive season with dharma? I like the idea of celebrating the winter solstice. Any practice associated with this particular date in, for example the tibetan calendar?
We celebrate with family. Traditional British Christmas roast..although the older tradition, beef not turkey. Christmas pudding, mince pies, a glass of something nice from Bordeaux. We'll visit a Crib in one of the big London churches. Watch 'A Christmas Carol' on TV. Go to Sadlers Wells to the ballet to see their Christmas production.
We are not Tibetan. We are not conflicted about the fact. :smile:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

cool! My family used to watch a TV version of "A Child's Christmas in Wales," that's about as English as we got
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Welsh people would of course protest that they aren't English! :smile:
But yes it's lovely. My daughter used to read Dyan Thomas's original story every Christmas when she was a girl.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

The Christmas - New Year week is as near as we get to an extended national holiday.
Christmas lunch is usually a matter of seafood or barbeques - or both - and is usually followed by an ice-cream plum pudding and a siesta. Every family with young children spends the rest of the week at the beach, camping if they can find a spot for the van or the tent. New Year's Eve is an outdoor event, unless we can't get to one of the fireworks shows like the Sydney Harbour Bridge one http://www.sydneyhappydeals.com.au/wp-c ... papers.jpg and choose to watch it on TV instead.
Oh, and the Sydney-Hobart Yacht Race http://cdn.sailingscuttlebutt.com/wp-co ... age006.jpg starts on Boxing Day, and there's the cricket - sorry, the Cricket. And Beer.

:smile:
Kim
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

Simon E. wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:33 am Welsh people would of course protest that they aren't English! :smile:
But yes it's lovely. My daughter used to read Dyan Thomas's original story every Christmas when she was a girl.
Yes, maybe I’ll read it this year.ithink there’s also a good version of him reading it out loud. What a voice.
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:25 pm The Christmas - New Year week is as near as we get to an extended national holiday.
Christmas lunch is usually a matter of seafood or barbeques - or both - and is usually followed by an ice-cream plum pudding and a siesta. Every family with young children spends the rest of the week at the beach, camping if they can find a spot for the van or the tent. New Year's Eve is an outdoor event, unless we can't get to one of the fireworks shows like the Sydney Harbour Bridge one http://www.sydneyhappydeals.com.au/wp-c ... papers.jpg and choose to watch it on TV instead.
Oh, and the Sydney-Hobart Yacht Race http://cdn.sailingscuttlebutt.com/wp-co ... age006.jpg starts on Boxing Day, and there's the cricket - sorry, the Cricket. And Beer.

:smile:
Kim
Nice, yeah seafood and barbecue are not mutually exclusive
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Thus have I heard, at one time the lord was staying at the north pole together with a great assembly of elves and a great assembly of reindeer. With the divine eye he saw which beings had been naughty and which beings had been nice. Then followed the discourse on the merits which lead to presents and the transgressions which bring coal. A holy tree arose from the ground. Then the great being, holding bell and candy cane pronounced the mantra: HO! HO! HO! the mantra that illuminates and brings cheer. Then Lord Santa enters through one's chimney and abides together with his secret consort Mrs Clause and fills the devotee with spirit and cheer. How does one who wishes to abide in this teaching practice this great mantra?
On the 24th night of the 12th month: the devotee who wishes to practice this sutra of the Father of Christmas, should make offering of milk and cookies before resting. Thus was spoken the great sutra of the Father of Christmas.
Fortyeightvows

Merry Christmas !

Post by Fortyeightvows »

1225.jpg
1225.jpg (171.96 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

1225.jpg
1225.jpg (211.69 KiB) Viewed 1975 times

Return to “Lounge”