Random Thoughts

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
KristenM

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by KristenM »

How could you ever doubt Jenny from the block's abilities?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

A bit off topic, but this is a random thought:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (108.83 KiB) Viewed 5543 times
drodul

Post by drodul »

That's pretty, Ayu. You must have painted it? (Can't think of any musical puns, though.)
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Today I figured out that my daughter (18 months old) thinks the old Muppet routine Manah Manah is about bananas. I show her a banana and what does she say?

KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Ayu wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:40 am A bit off topic, but this is a random thought:

image.jpeg
There is nothing off topic in Random Thoughts. And what a nice way to bring it back to Dharma. :)

I searched DW for the term "Timeless awareness" and didnt come up with any hits. I know what I think it is, but do I really?
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Went to see Star Wars last night. I look pretty funny with 3D glasses on (over my regular glasses).

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

@tiagolps: You look spaced out. :smile:
DGA wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:30 am Today I figured out that my daughter (18 months old) thinks the old Muppet routine Manah Manah is about bananas. I show her a banana and what does she say?

[media] Manamana... [/media]
Your post reminds me of my son's most favorite TV show when they were below the age of three. It's four or five minutes = enough TV for a day. :smile: They loved it so much.

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

TharpaChodron wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:28 am
Ayu wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:40 am A bit off topic, but this is a random thought:

image.jpeg
There is nothing off topic in Random Thoughts. And what a nice way to bring it back to Dharma. :)

I searched DW for the term "Timeless awareness" and didnt come up with any hits. I know what I think it is, but do I really?
Seems to be a modern term connected either to the technique of mindfulness or to Dzogchen. You can choose: https://www.benefind.de/web.php?q=Timeless+awareness
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

image.jpeg

I think I first heard that phrase in 1998 or 1999. I was practicing with an insight meditation group in Portland at the time. I didn't understand what was meant by it then, and I'm still not clear on what they were trying to indicate by it now. I had a random thought or memory or whatever about that experience earlier today.

When I'd get home from Sunday night meditation, my girlfriend would sometimes comment on how my clothes smelled like incense but this only happened in the colder months. This is because I was riding my bike home while people were burning wood in their fireplaces... so I smelled like a campfire.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

I think it is sometimes used to translate "ye shes".
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Ayu wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:03 pm

image.jpeg

Seems to be a modern term connected either to the technique of mindfulness or to Dzogchen. You can choose: https://www.benefind.de/web.php?q=Timeless+awareness
Thanks for the interesting link, Ayu.

Timeless awareness is definitely a translation, I shall look around for 'ye shes'

As for incense, I'm about out. I've been searching for something that has that particular fragrance of a Tibetan Buddhist temple. There's a unique smell that those things (forgot their name) that people walk around with,
smoke wafting out of them. So far, no luck.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

tiagolps wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:07 am Went to see Star Wars last night. I look pretty funny with 3D glasses on (over my regular glasses).

You look like you could be from Tatooine.

How was the movie?
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

TharpaChodron wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:39 amI shall look around for 'ye shes'

It's a very fundamental term in Tibetan Buddhism, often spelled 'yeshe' and translated as 'wisdom'. Thinley Norbu Rinpoche has quite a bit to say about it in "A Cascading Waterfall of Nectar".

TharpaChodron wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:39 amAs for incense, I'm about out. I've been searching for something that has that particular fragrance of a Tibetan Buddhist temple. There's a unique smell that those things (forgot their name) that people walk around with,

Dzogchungma sometimes uses this: http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Incense ... e_1_2.html. Whenever I smell it I really feel like I'm in a Tibetan temple.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

dzogchungpa wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:51 am
TharpaChodron wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:39 amI shall look around for 'ye shes'

It's a very fundamental term in Tibetan Buddhism, often spelled 'yeshe' and translated as 'wisdom'. Thinley Norbu Rinpoche has quite a bit to say about it in "A Cascading Waterfall of Nectar".

One of my favorite books. I haven't heard a lot of people mention it on DW though. I

TharpaChodron wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:39 amAs for incense, I'm about out. I've been searching for something that has that particular fragrance of a Tibetan Buddhist temple. There's a unique smell that those things (forgot their name) that people walk around with,
Dzogchungma sometimes uses this: http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Incense ... e_1_2.html. Whenever I smell it I really feel like I'm in a Tibetan temple.
Dzoghchungma knows her incense.
Punya

Post by Punya »

As it happens I bought this book last night. The TNR books I've read so far are pithy, but really worthwhile.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Back in August we spent a great week in Colorado I came across a couple stores selling Tibetan stuff, bought a few books and a selection of incense, got some Green Tara, red sticks (lost the box) and some Amitabha Buddha string incense. So far I like the Green Tara the best. All of them are lots nicer than the choking smoke from the head shop incense. I don't have an official burner- I'm using a 5th grade art class clay dish my daughter made, works well once there is a bed of ash. Its a totally different family of fragrance compared to the incense I use on the altar.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

TharpaChodron wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:45 am
tiagolps wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:07 am Went to see Star Wars last night. I look pretty funny with 3D glasses on (over my regular glasses).

How was the movie?
It exceeded my expectations. It is a very humorous movie and it never felt out of place...

And you know, great fight scenes :jedi:
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

tiagolps wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:02 am
TharpaChodron wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:45 am

How was the movie?
It exceeded my expectations. It is a very humorous movie and it never felt out of place...

And you know, great fight scenes :jedi:
Saw the movie, it was a waste of time. Classic lazy 21st century Hollywood writing - "Do you have a plot, that was established in previous movie and you do not want to explain it and complete it? Just kill a bunch of characters and it will go away." Jokes were kind a childish from time to time. IMHO one of the lamest movies in SW series, though beautifuly shot. In other words a poop in a nice package.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

dzoki wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:20 pm Saw the movie, it was a waste of time. Classic lazy 21st century Hollywood writing - "Do you have a plot, that was established in previous movie and you do not want to explain it and complete it? Just kill a bunch of characters and it will go away." Jokes were kind a childish from time to time. IMHO one of the lamest movies in SW series, though beautifuly shot. In other words a poop in a nice package.
Can't satisfy everyone I guess, childish humor isn't bad if done right. What plot do you think they aren't explaining?
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

tiagolps wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:09 pm
dzoki wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:20 pm Saw the movie, it was a waste of time. Classic lazy 21st century Hollywood writing - "Do you have a plot, that was established in previous movie and you do not want to explain it and complete it? Just kill a bunch of characters and it will go away." Jokes were kind a childish from time to time. IMHO one of the lamest movies in SW series, though beautifuly shot. In other words a poop in a nice package.
Can't satisfy everyone I guess, childish humor isn't bad if done right. What plot do you think they aren't explaining?
Explaining... lets say, better expression would be that the plots lack consistency and reason with regard to previous movies namely:
- Luke's total change of character (from optimistic, brave and selfless man to a grumpy, fearful and depressed jerk - he is still a Jedi right? not a Dark Jedi?).
- Luke going to the first Jedi temple because he wants the Jedi to end (kind of strange place to go for that purpose, really).
- Rey being Mary Sue (she barely needs any training - why?)
- Snoke, extremely powerfull force user that pops out of no-where and end up being a one-shot villain
- Phasma being a one-shot villain (why set up both of these characters and then just cheaply toss them away?)
- Kylo not trying to emulate his grandfather anymore - again why did he want to emulate him in the first place and what is his current motivation? guess he just really wants to be evil or something...
- Force being completely different to both OT and prequels, how come even super powerful Jedi of Yoda's calibre or top Sith of all Sith - Palpatine could not do such things (projections, matter transfer by force...)?

and then there are stupid things like:
First Order being pawned (again?) by a single X-wing and delaying bombardment of their enemy just so that Hux can have a banter with Poe?
Leya surviving in the space and the ship opening her a door without there being decompressure?
Giant force of the first order having trouble chasing a couple of Resistane ships
That forced love story between Finn and Rose.
The whole plot of Canto Bight.
Drunk Yoda (or maybe he just smoked some weed)... :D

From the viewpoint of creative writing even a fantasy story and world have to be consistent in order to be belivable and immersive. Not wonder the movie gets such a low rating by viewers on Rotten Tomatoes. It is nice and all, but the writing is lazy. To sum it up: Money grab is strong with Disney.

Return to “Lounge”