Random Thoughts

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
KristenM

Random Thoughts

Post by KristenM »

Is there any possibility or interest in creating a random thought thread that can go on ad infinitum? Sometimes you just want to say something but not create an entire thread for it or derail another thread.

Other forums have something like that.

Mine would start with:
Good morning people, I'm terribly jet lagged and waking up at 2am, ugh.

:coffee:
dzogchungpa

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by dzogchungpa »

TharpaChodron wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:17 am Is there any possibility or interest in creating a random thought thread that can go on ad infinitum?

I am deeply interested in such a thread.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

dzogchungpa wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:32 am
TharpaChodron wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:17 am Is there any possibility or interest in creating a random thought thread that can go on ad infinitum?

I am deeply interested in such a thread.
That's one 'yes' vote. I'm thinking Dharma in Everyday life would be an appropriate locale.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Dharmawheel's Twitter? :tongue:
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

tiagolps wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:37 pm Dharmawheel's Twitter? :tongue:
Yes, but with more than 280 characters allowed. ;)
Rick

Post by Rick »

Twitter 280 ... oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

That's like double the Trump rants and raves!

(As for a random thing thread ... sure, sounds fun. Images/videos too?)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Since the posts will not be related specifically to Dharma, I moved it to the "Lounge" for you.

I think this is the most appropriate setting for this thread. Yes?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:12 pm Since the posts will not be related specifically to Dharma, I moved it to the "Lounge" for you.

I think this is the most appropriate setting for this thread. Yes?
Did you? The "Lounge" sounds like a very appropriate setting. :namaste:

Ha, now I see it.

So, anyways...how about those Catalonians. :cheers:
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Auspicious Lha Bab Düchen (Festival of the Descent from Heaven) everyone!

:coffee:
TharpaChodron wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:26 pm So, anyways...how about those Catalonians. :cheers:
Messy business.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I wish everyone a lovely Friday, November the 10th, 2017 CE.

May today be your day to awaken!

:zzz: :meditate: :meditate: :meditate: :twothumbsup:
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

tiagolps wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:38 am Auspicious Lha Bab Düchen (Festival of the Descent from Heaven) everyone!

:coffee
From my in-box:

Lhabab Duchen is one of the holy days commemorating special times in the life of Buddha Shakyamuni, when he went to the Heaven of 33 to repay his mother's kindness by teaching and liberating her and other beings in the God Realm. On this day, effects of positive and negative deeds are magnified millions of times.

Lama Sonam Rinpoche reminds us that "especially during this present time, our outer and inner elements are imbalanced, causing depression, anxiety, anger and ignorance to arise. In order to dispel our own ignorance and make inner wisdom blossom, we must practice and pray diligently.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Rick wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:06 pm I wish everyone a lovely Friday, November the 10th, 2017 CE.

May today be your day to awaken!

:zzz: :meditate: :meditate: :meditate: :twothumbsup:
That would be awesome. Morning folks. hope whatever your practice is, it goes great today.
Rick

Post by Rick »

This might sound silly (it did to me until I tried it) but I installed a "Mindfulness Reminder" thingie on my computer that flashes/plays me a short notice every 20 minutes (or whatever interval I choose) to "Please enjoy this present moment in mindfulness." Lama Surya Das (and others) say that buncha "quickies' during the day can be even more effective for certain people than 1-2 longer on-the-cushion sessions. You'd be surprised how hard it is to STOP the driven discursive mind when it's churning away and spend a moment in stillness.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Rick wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:28 pm This might sound silly (it did to me until I tried it) but I installed a "Mindfulness Reminder" thingie on my computer that flashes/plays me a short notice every 20 minutes (or whatever interval I choose) to "Please enjoy this present moment in mindfulness." Lama Surya Das (and others) say that buncha "quickies' during the day can be even more effective for certain people than 1-2 longer on-the-cushion sessions. You'd be surprised how hard it is to STOP the driven discursive mind when it's churning away and spend a moment in stillness.
I've tried it, too. Sometimes my days get so hectic that even taking a minute to breath is nearly impossible. I've got a reminder thingy on my phone, but many days I don't even have a chance to look at my phone or hear it go off. I'll keep working at it though. :meditate:
Rick

Post by Rick »

A Buddhist nun I knew and loved, Ani Trime, used to talk about how powerful and sane-making it was to simply STOP the flow of samsaric everyday life from time to time. Even a good slow breath or few can do it, though sometimes the river is flowing so powerfully that a bit more time is needed. My root teacher, Anam Thubten, does it often when he teaches. He stops, looks around, takes a breath or two in silence (took me a while to get used to these pauses!) ... and then gets back in the flow and continues the teaching.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Rick wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:38 pm A Buddhist nun I knew and loved, Ani Trime, used to talk about how powerful and sane-making it was to simply STOP the flow of samsaric everyday life from time to time. Even a good slow breath or few can do it, though sometimes the river is flowing so powerfully that a bit more time is needed. My root teacher, Anam Thubten, does it often when he teaches. He stops, looks around, takes a breath or two in silence (took me a while to get used to these pauses!) ... and then gets back in the flow and continues the teaching.
I have to do the same thing, take a moment and breathe slowly, for various challenging situations. So, yeah, I guess I do practice mindfulness a bit at work! :smile:
Rick

Post by Rick »

Great! I love the quickies approach ... it seems to be ideal for our frenetic Western lives. But longies (20+ minutes) are necessary to achieve deeper shamatha and vipashyana. So, a nice mix: longies 1-2 times a day, and buncha quickies scattered throughout the day. Add an always present mindfulness to the brew and it's all good. (I just wish I'd actually DO IT for a prolonged period of time!)
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

man am i happy i did not only get to see this when it got to page 176.

great idea ! :applause:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Yes, very nice thread so far.

I think, the Catalonians will manage their mess somehow. I have to manage mine: many "to-do"s on my list every day but I don't like to hurry. I have to take the duties smoothly. "Sweet, soft and easy". But it's interesting anyhow.
Today it was a very rainy & cold day. So, it was no waste to sit at my desk and work the whole day. I can tell you now how selection, recombination, mutation and genetic drift work. Tomorrow I have to write something for German and history and learn math. :shock: I'm so afraid to start with math. But it will be good have it done, tomorrow night.

Now: meditation time. Often I'm really glad to be a Buddhist. It helps against the panic all my fellow-pupils seem to have.
Bye. :meditate:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Ayu wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:35 pm Tomorrow I have to write something for German and history and learn math. :shock: I'm so afraid to start with math. But it will be good have it done, tomorrow night.

What kind of math are you studying?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Return to “Lounge”