Random Thoughts

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by DGA »

TharpaChodron wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:53 am i have no idea what rock and rye is, okay, I know what rye is...but rock? my grandma liked seven up and bourbon, maybe similar.

ah,California. I love living here,except it's along way from everywhere else...like Italy. you always have to add an extra five hours to your flights to Europe.
Rock and Rye is an old people cocktail. It survived prohibition because it was presented as a kind of tonic for ailments such as cold and flu. The "rock" is rock candy. It's rye whiskey with some sugar and spices and whatnot. It's good so long as it's not too sugary. Closest analogy I can come to might be a Manhattan, maybe.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

weitsicht wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:01 am
I see that there's not much going on in the meditation thread.

Hence this post how do I stop orgasms during my meditation remains latest post since weeks.

It's so interesting to see how easily my eyes get hooked by that word orgasm when skimming through DW's top page for latest posts :jumping:
This is interesting, no? Are people not posting in the meditation sub because they want to keep the word ORGASM at the top there?

I think it's difficult to talk about meditation. I don't really talk about meditation practice at all.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

With my MoviePass I've seen the following:
All the Money in the World
Downsizing
Star Wars
Three Billboards
Phantom Thread...

All for 10 bucks.

I walked out on Three Billboards (hey, it was basically free) and Phantom Thread was a long, disappointing movie mostly. Did anyone else see Three Billboards and think it to be a terrible, overly violent piece of garbage?

When will the company that started Moviepass go broke? Such a crazy concept I can't believe it can sustain itself.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

I remember when salt and vinegar crisps came in the blue packets, and the cheese and onion the green.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Losal Samten wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18 pmI remember when salt and vinegar crisps came in the blue packets, and the cheese and onion the green.
Man, I swear I have a memory of complaining to my mother about the change on the way back from primary school.
Walkers wrote:Question: Why did you change your packaging for Salt and Vinegar and Cheese and Onion so they're in the wrong colours?

Answer: Contrary to popular belief, Walkers Cheese and Onion have always been in blue packets, and Salt and Vinegar have always been in green packets. We don't have a plan to change this, as it's signature to our brand.

འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Mmore cowbell.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

TharpaChodron wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:04 am With my MoviePass I've seen the following:
Downsizing
Star Wars
Three Billboards
Phantom Thread...

All for 10 bucks.

I walked out on Three Billboards (hey, it was basically free) and Phantom Thread was a long, disappointing movie mostly. Did anyone else see Three Billboards and think it to be a terrible, overly violent piece of garbage?

When will the company that started Moviepass go broke? Such a crazy concept I can't believe it can sustain itself.
No.
I saw Three Billboards and thought it was wonderful, with Frances McDormand at her best since 'Fargo' and a superb performance from Sam Rockwell.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Losal Samten wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:49 am
Losal Samten wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18 pmI remember when salt and vinegar crisps came in the blue packets, and the cheese and onion the green.
Man, I swear I have a memory of complaining to my mother about the change on the way back from primary school.
Walkers wrote:Question: Why did you change your packaging for Salt and Vinegar and Cheese and Onion so they're in the wrong colours?

Answer: Contrary to popular belief, Walkers Cheese and Onion have always been in blue packets, and Salt and Vinegar have always been in green packets. We don't have a plan to change this, as it's signature to our brand.

Crisps are one of the greatest things about the UK, imo. It's not fair you guys get to keep the cheese and onion flavored ones all to yourself.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Simon E. wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:48 am
TharpaChodron wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:04 am With my MoviePass I've seen the following:
Downsizing
Star Wars
Three Billboards
Phantom Thread...

All for 10 bucks.

No.
I saw Three Billboards and thought it was wonderful, with Frances McDormand at her best since 'Fargo' and a superb performance from Sam Rockwell.
I'll give it another chance. I usually love Frances.
boda

Post by boda »

Downsizing
Star Wars
Three Billboards
Phantom Thread...

All for 10 bucks.

Your critique of Billboards is based on the violence depicted? Did you sit all the way through Star Wars?
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Just noticed I have forehead wrinkles today. Image
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Today I went to a teaching by Kalu Rinpoche, by chance I learned he was teaching only 1.5 hours away from my home. Never met his previous incarnation, but I was so impressed! :heart:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Good topic; yes sometimes I feel like writing some random happenings or thoughts, but don't want to make a new thread.

For example, about 9 months ago I saw the movie, Bohemian Rhapsody:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_Rhapsody_(film)

It was very interesting about the life of Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of Queen. The band was at their peak around the time I was in middle-school to high school.

I didn't know he was born in Africa or Zoroastrian (family upbringing).
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

TharpaChodron wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:54 am Today I went to a teaching by Kalu Rinpoche, by chance I learned he was teaching only 1.5 hours away from my home. Never met his previous incarnation, but I was so impressed! :heart:
agreed...Ive seen the kid on youtube...hes really got it going on
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

DNS wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 am Good topic; yes sometimes I feel like writing some random happenings or thoughts, but don't want to make a new thread.

For example, about 9 months ago I saw the movie, Bohemian Rhapsody:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_Rhapsody_(film)

It was very interesting about the life of Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of Queen. The band was at their peak around the time I was in middle-school to high school.

I didn't know he was born in Africa or Zoroastrian (family upbringing).
I didn't know that about Freddie Mercury until the movie either. And it was a really well done movie imo!

My random thought for now: I think Facebook needs to reconsider and add some emoji responses that relate to Buddhist outlook. A lot of the times I'm not wanting to be "sad" or "angry" about something, however I can't "like/love" it either...Perhaps an emoji of a big hug or metta/compassion/peace to express feeling compassion and some hope, rather than feeling a visceral response of samsaric emotions?
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Why is it that goods transported by ship are called cargo but its considered shipping when the same goods are transported by car?

(alas I didnt think that one up myself)
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

narhwal90 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:47 am Why is it that goods transported by ship are called cargo but its considered shipping when the same goods are transported by car?

(alas I didnt think that one up myself)
It's the same reason why Greenland is mostly full of ice and Iceland is very green.

But now even the northpole melted.

(I haven't made up this either.)
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

‘Tis not necroposting to restart this old thread, I hope.

My highly respected neighbor died of a heart attack today. Last time I saw him was the weekend before last. He was walking to a funeral at the church down the street with his wife, wearing black. He didn’t say hello to me and my other neighbor because he was holding a grudge against my neighbor for not voting for him to remain District Attorney, a position he held for many years and then lost. I couldn’t believe he would still be bitter over a year after the election. Then, ten or so days later, he dies. Sad and ironic?

Maybe it’s an old wives tale, or Buddhist moralizing, to think that those who hold grudges tend to hurt themselves more by drinking the poison of anger etc, but it gives me pause to think.

Return to “Lounge”