Random Thoughts

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Minobu

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Minobu »

at summer camp sloths tickled expectations
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

DGA wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:40 am Nostalgia is for suckers.

Prove me wrong.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Prove me wrong.
The future, though, is a quit a different story.
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

PuerAzaelis wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:00 am

Prove me wrong.
This mooch. :lol:

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

TharpaChodron wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:27 pm Went to a symphony last night and I swear Coolio's Gangster's Paradise sounds a lot like Dvorak's Serenade for Strings, Op22 II. Menuetto.

And actually, Coolio's song is a sample of Stevie Wonder, so I'm "wondering" if Stevie got a bit of his musical ideas from Dvorak.
My impression is only consumers of music can devide it into many registers stricktly. Truth is that music is one ocean and the differnet genres inspire eachother always.
Lately I saw a TV documetary about Native American influences in jazz. I found out that every music I like has native american influences. E.g. Jimmy Hendrix' music was a real American blend. So nice.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Rick

Post by Rick »

My back was on the cusp of going out all day yesterday, very painful, hobbling around the house like an old(er) man. And yet my meditation sessions were solid, even more than solid, bordering on inspired. I've often found this, pain focuses my mind ... not an annoying twinge here or there, but an ongoing system-wide aching. It's kinda sorta like being whacked with a keisaku 24/7. (Back better today, let's see if I can still manage to practice well.)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Ayu wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:16 am
TharpaChodron wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:27 pm Went to a symphony last night and I swear Coolio's Gangster's Paradise sounds a lot like Dvorak's Serenade for Strings, Op22 II. Menuetto.

And actually, Coolio's song is a sample of Stevie Wonder, so I'm "wondering" if Stevie got a bit of his musical ideas from Dvorak.
My impression is only consumers of music can devide it into many registers stricktly. Truth is that music is one ocean and the differnet genres inspire eachother always.
Lately I saw a TV documetary about Native American influences in jazz. I found out that every music I like has native american influences. E.g. Jimmy Hendrix' music was a real American blend. So nice.
I never heard about Native American influence in jazz, that sounds very interesting. I imagine it might have to do with the large percentage of African Americans who have N.A. heritage. German tv makes some good documentaries, too.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Going to see my man Anam Thubten shortly!

:woohoo:

While I'm gone, please enjoy this video:

There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

dzogchungpa wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:57 pm Going to see my man Anam Thubten shortly!

:woohoo:

While I'm gone, please enjoy this video:

Anam Thubten seems really nice. I like his poems. A lost art that poetry stuff.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Rick wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:55 pm My back was on the cusp of going out all day yesterday, very painful, hobbling around the house like an old(er) man. And yet my meditation sessions were solid, even more than solid, bordering on inspired. I've often found this, pain focuses my mind ... not an annoying twinge here or there, but an ongoing system-wide aching. It's kinda sorta like being whacked with a keisaku 24/7. (Back better today, let's see if I can still manage to practice well.)
I tend to wake up with a little backache some days. Prostrations always seem to do a great job curing it.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

TharpaChodron wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:06 amAnam Thubten seems really nice.

He is. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

dzogchungpa wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:02 am... dream ...
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

Minobu

Post by Minobu »

kimonos without ever knowing their names harmonizing with mosques
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

i think i got messed around with that one..no wy to make it really different...
yelling in my best kirk star trek voice
"PuerAzaelis!!!!"
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Minobu wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:31 am... yelling ...

KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Dog people versus cat people. I like both but I am a dog person. And I don't trust people who don't like dogs. What kind of human doesn't like fluffy, adorable dogs? :stirthepot:

Edit: Trump is the first US president to not have a dog. 'Ruff said.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

TharpaChodron wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:39 am Dog people versus cat people. I like both but I am a dog person. And I don't trust people who don't like dogs. What kind of human doesn't like fluffy, adorable dogs? :stirthepot:

Agreed. Cats can be pets even friends but dogs are family!
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

PuerAzaelis wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 pm Image
Can't touch this.

Break it down

Look in my eyes man u can't touch this
You know let me bust the funky lyrics u can't touch this

ripped from MC Hammer
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

TharpaChodron wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:39 am Dog people versus cat people. I like both but I am a dog person. And I don't trust people who don't like dogs. What kind of human doesn't like fluffy, adorable dogs? :stirthepot:

i love dogs...as a kid i was dog crazy..
today in my multicultural building people won"t get on elevators if someone has a dog.

the flak owners get is ridiculous.

mine, a border collie, was never on a leash...she was part of the gang, came with me everywhere.
i carried one of those little collapsable camping cups for water.
Her name was Lucky and she was the best...

what ever happened to outdoor dogs with licence on their collar.
My neighborhood in Montreal had a lot of them, and they all knew me for i had the cutest female in the hood.
they all wanted her...LOL..ok too much info...

but seriously there is a story...lol...

we had to spay her..but before she was old enough when she would go into heat, i was like about 9 and in those days ..not a clue...
so at those times all the dogs in the neighborhood would crowd around me...i thought they liked me..they would hump my leg, follow me to school, cause problems in the schoolyard....when the teachers scolded me for bringing them all in ...i said it wasn't my fault..a note went home..and i guess they all got a good laugh when it was answered.

ahh sweet memories !

Return to “Lounge”