Random Thoughts

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
User avatar
Minobu
Posts: 1805
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Minobu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:34 am

at summer camp sloths tickled expectations

User avatar
PuerAzaelis
Posts: 826
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by PuerAzaelis » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:00 am

DGA wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:40 am
Nostalgia is for suckers.

Prove me wrong.
And nobody in all of Oz. No Wizard that there is or was.

User avatar
The Cicada
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:15 am
Location: Trumpaloka

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by The Cicada » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:27 am

DGA wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:40 am
Nostalgia is for suckers.

Prove me wrong.
The future, though, is a quit a different story.

User avatar
The Cicada
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:15 am
Location: Trumpaloka

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by The Cicada » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:34 am

PuerAzaelis wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:00 am
DGA wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:40 am
Nostalgia is for suckers.

Prove me wrong.
This mooch. :lol:



User avatar
Ayu
Former staff member
Posts: 6783
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am
Location: Europe

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Ayu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:16 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:27 pm
Went to a symphony last night and I swear Coolio's Gangster's Paradise sounds a lot like Dvorak's Serenade for Strings, Op22 II. Menuetto.

And actually, Coolio's song is a sample of Stevie Wonder, so I'm "wondering" if Stevie got a bit of his musical ideas from Dvorak.
My impression is only consumers of music can devide it into many registers stricktly. Truth is that music is one ocean and the differnet genres inspire eachother always.
Lately I saw a TV documetary about Native American influences in jazz. I found out that every music I like has native american influences. E.g. Jimmy Hendrix' music was a real American blend. So nice.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

User avatar
Ayu
Former staff member
Posts: 6783
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am
Location: Europe

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Ayu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:23 am

I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

User avatar
Rick
Posts: 1547
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:05 am

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Rick » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:55 pm

My back was on the cusp of going out all day yesterday, very painful, hobbling around the house like an old(er) man. And yet my meditation sessions were solid, even more than solid, bordering on inspired. I've often found this, pain focuses my mind ... not an annoying twinge here or there, but an ongoing system-wide aching. It's kinda sorta like being whacked with a keisaku 24/7. (Back better today, let's see if I can still manage to practice well.)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by TharpaChodron » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Ayu wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:16 am
TharpaChodron wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:27 pm
Went to a symphony last night and I swear Coolio's Gangster's Paradise sounds a lot like Dvorak's Serenade for Strings, Op22 II. Menuetto.

And actually, Coolio's song is a sample of Stevie Wonder, so I'm "wondering" if Stevie got a bit of his musical ideas from Dvorak.
My impression is only consumers of music can devide it into many registers stricktly. Truth is that music is one ocean and the differnet genres inspire eachother always.
Lately I saw a TV documetary about Native American influences in jazz. I found out that every music I like has native american influences. E.g. Jimmy Hendrix' music was a real American blend. So nice.
I never heard about Native American influence in jazz, that sounds very interesting. I imagine it might have to do with the large percentage of African Americans who have N.A. heritage. German tv makes some good documentaries, too.

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by dzogchungpa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:57 pm

Going to see my man Anam Thubten shortly!

:woohoo:




While I'm gone, please enjoy this video:

If you focus on an object, you are not meditating. - Dudjom Rinpoche

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by TharpaChodron » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:06 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:57 pm
Going to see my man Anam Thubten shortly!

:woohoo:




While I'm gone, please enjoy this video:

Anam Thubten seems really nice. I like his poems. A lost art that poetry stuff.

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by TharpaChodron » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:08 am

Rick wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:55 pm
My back was on the cusp of going out all day yesterday, very painful, hobbling around the house like an old(er) man. And yet my meditation sessions were solid, even more than solid, bordering on inspired. I've often found this, pain focuses my mind ... not an annoying twinge here or there, but an ongoing system-wide aching. It's kinda sorta like being whacked with a keisaku 24/7. (Back better today, let's see if I can still manage to practice well.)
I tend to wake up with a little backache some days. Prostrations always seem to do a great job curing it.

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by dzogchungpa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:07 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:06 am
Anam Thubten seems really nice.

He is. :smile:
If you focus on an object, you are not meditating. - Dudjom Rinpoche

User avatar
PuerAzaelis
Posts: 826
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by PuerAzaelis » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:51 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:02 am
... dream ...
Image
And nobody in all of Oz. No Wizard that there is or was.

User avatar
Minobu
Posts: 1805
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Minobu » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:30 am

kimonos without ever knowing their names harmonizing with mosques

User avatar
Minobu
Posts: 1805
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Minobu » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:31 am

i think i got messed around with that one..no wy to make it really different...
yelling in my best kirk star trek voice
"PuerAzaelis!!!!"

User avatar
PuerAzaelis
Posts: 826
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by PuerAzaelis » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 pm

Minobu wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:31 am
... yelling ...
Image
And nobody in all of Oz. No Wizard that there is or was.

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by TharpaChodron » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:39 am

Dog people versus cat people. I like both but I am a dog person. And I don't trust people who don't like dogs. What kind of human doesn't like fluffy, adorable dogs? :stirthepot:

Edit: Trump is the first US president to not have a dog. 'Ruff said.

Bristollad
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:39 am

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Bristollad » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:39 am
Dog people versus cat people. I like both but I am a dog person. And I don't trust people who don't like dogs. What kind of human doesn't like fluffy, adorable dogs? :stirthepot:

Edit: Trump is the first US president to not have a dog. 'Ruff said.
Agreed. Cats can be pets even friends but dogs are family!

User avatar
Minobu
Posts: 1805
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Minobu » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:44 pm

PuerAzaelis wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 pm
Image
Can't touch this.

Break it down

Look in my eyes man u can't touch this
You know let me bust the funky lyrics u can't touch this


ripped from MC Hammer

User avatar
Minobu
Posts: 1805
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Minobu » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:56 pm

TharpaChodron wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:39 am
Dog people versus cat people. I like both but I am a dog person. And I don't trust people who don't like dogs. What kind of human doesn't like fluffy, adorable dogs? :stirthepot:

Edit: Trump is the first US president to not have a dog. 'Ruff said.
i love dogs...as a kid i was dog crazy..
today in my multicultural building people won"t get on elevators if someone has a dog.

the flak owners get is ridiculous.

mine, a border collie, was never on a leash...she was part of the gang, came with me everywhere.
i carried one of those little collapsable camping cups for water.
Her name was Lucky and she was the best...

what ever happened to outdoor dogs with licence on their collar.
My neighborhood in Montreal had a lot of them, and they all knew me for i had the cutest female in the hood.
they all wanted her...LOL..ok too much info...

but seriously there is a story...lol...

we had to spay her..but before she was old enough when she would go into heat, i was like about 9 and in those days ..not a clue...
so at those times all the dogs in the neighborhood would crowd around me...i thought they liked me..they would hump my leg, follow me to school, cause problems in the schoolyard....when the teachers scolded me for bringing them all in ...i said it wasn't my fault..a note went home..and i guess they all got a good laugh when it was answered.

ahh sweet memories !

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Motova, passel and 25 guests