Random Thoughts

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
dzogchungpa

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by dzogchungpa »

TharpaChodron wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:18 am
Ayu wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:12 pm Okay. Whatever. :smile:

I realize now, for understanding this joke one has to know these kids... How they enjoy to write something naughty and how they hate fish & onion. :lol:

So, it's not possible to translate anyhow.

.... edit: Now I see. The meaning is: "The one who reads this smells like fish & onion."
And perhaps understand German humor as well? :)

Apparently one of the shortest books ever written is titled "One Thousand Years of German Humor".
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:58 am
Ayu wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:12 pm Okay. Whatever. :smile:

I realize now, for understanding this joke one has to know these kids... How they enjoy to write something naughty and how they hate fish & onion. :lol:

So, it's not possible to translate anyhow.

.... edit: Now I see. The meaning is: "The one who reads this smells like fish & onion."

Apparently one of the shortest books ever written is titled "One Thousand Years of German Humor".
That is history. It wasn't funny at all, not even for Germans. Also Germans suffered from the nazi regime - as people suffer from nazi ideology all over the world.

I hope, the world is able to receive the lesson where supremacism leads to. So, not everbody has to make the same mistake over and over again.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Ayu wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:15 am
dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:58 am

That is history. It wasn't funny at all, not even for Germans. Also Germans suffered from the nazi regime - as people suffer from nazi ideology all over the world.

I hope, the world is able to receive the lesson where supremacism leads to. So, not everbody has to make the same mistake over and over again.
Not sure if something got lost in translation, but I hope
it didn't come across like we were talking about nazis and making a joke. German dry humor is a silly stereotypical thing people find endearing, like loudmouthed Americans and rude Parisians.

the history of that time is very serious and I appreciate what the German people have been through. I also hope we, all people, continue to learn from our collective past mistakes.

Speaking of, tomorrow is Thanksgiving holiday here and a lot of my friends refer to it as something like "Take everything" day. It's become more and more about remembering US injustices toward indigenous people, and rightly so. I used to think humans would be smart enough to not repeat their mistakes, but I'm less optimistic these days.
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:58 amApparently ...
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

PuerAzaelis wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:39 pmWhomever?
https://www.grammarly.com/blog/2-effect ... confusion/

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

TharpaChodron wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:51 am Not sure if something got lost in translation, but I hope it didn't come across like we were talking about nazis and making a joke.
Not at all. :smile:
German dry humor is a silly stereotypical thing people find endearing, like loudmouthed Americans and rude Parisians.
Yes. I find them funny, too.
Just fun about nazis is somehow creepy. I don't know how it is in the US, but in Germany you can kill any online discussion by using a nazi comparison. :shrug:

the history of that time is very serious and I appreciate what the German people have been through. I also hope we, all people, continue to learn from our collective past mistakes.
I hope so, too. Today is the 25th anniversary of the burning of a house in Mölln by two young nazis. They killed a grandmother and two children just because they were Turkish. Heartbreaking.

About Thanksgiving I have no idea. I can't imagine what it means for Americans.
In my area, people are celebrating Thanksgiving in the churches. It is mainly an event for small children. So, they can learn to appreciate the food and that it comes from the soil, sun and rain... from God. :smile: Not many people celebrate this.
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

TharpaChodron wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:51 am "Take everything" day.
Happy Black Friday.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

[quote=Ayu post_id=418213 time=1511449563 user_id=2968

About Thanksgiving I have no idea. I can't imagine what it means for Americans.
In my area, people are celebrating Thanksgiving in the churches. It is mainly an event for small children. So, they can learn to appreciate the food and that it comes from the soil, sun and rain... from God. :smile: Not many people celebrate this.
[/quote]

Are the kids celebrating a version of American Thanksgiving at church, or it that a German holiday? People still get really into it, even the people I see talking online about "celebrating 500 years of oppression of indigenous people" still put a tagline on their posts: #stillgonnaeatthough :smile:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

TharpaChodron wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:39 pm
Are the kids celebrating a version of American Thanksgiving at church, or it that a German holiday? People still get really into it, even the people I see talking online about "celebrating 500 years of oppression of indigenous people" still put a tagline on their posts: #stillgonnaeatthough :smile:
It's neither and nor. It is a Christian festivity in our calender but we don't have any holiday for it. We celebrate it Lutheran style without any commercial input. Christian kindergartens visit the church with the kids. They carry pumpkins and vegetables to the altar and the kids sing a song for the parents in the audience. :smile:
Most people do not even know when it is. I like it.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Ayu wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:09 am
TharpaChodron wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:39 pm
It's neither and nor. It is a Christian festivity in our calender but we don't have any holiday for it. We celebrate it Lutheran style without any commercial input. Christian kindergartens visit the church with the kids. They carry pumpkins and vegetables to the altar and the kids sing a song for the parents in the audience. :smile:
Most people do not even know when it is. I like it.
Sounds sweet. I'm sure harvest celebrations at this time of year are pretty universal and ancient. The Christians probably modified the tradition. On Sunday I'm going to a Handel's Messiah singalong, sort of another local tradition. I have a copy in German/English and was getting some pretty good laughs singing the German version poorly last night.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

TharpaChodron wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:03 am.... On Sunday I'm going to a Handel's Messiah singalong, sort of another local tradition. I have a copy in German/English and was getting some pretty good laughs singing the German version poorly last night.
Yes, I find it also funny even if I sing German properly. We sang "Hallelujah" with our choir. There's so much comedy hidden in this pathetic piece. :) My faforite part is when the bases start with "And HE shal REIGN for..." and how the sopranos answer finally "... ... and he shall reign...". :lol: So funny.

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Sorry: basses, not bases...
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Corrected version: not pathetic but histrionic... :roll:
Ayu wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:03 am
TharpaChodron wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:03 am.... On Sunday I'm going to a Handel's Messiah singalong, sort of another local tradition. I have a copy in German/English and was getting some pretty good laughs singing the German version poorly last night.
Yes, I find it also funny even if I sing German properly. We sang "Hallelujah" with our choir. There's so much comedy hidden in this histrionic piece. :) My favorite part is when the basses start with "And HE shall REIGN for..." and how the sopranos answer finally "... ... and he shall reign...". :lol: So funny.

KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Ayu wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:06 pm Corrected version: not pathetic but histrionic... :roll:
Ayu wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:03 am
Yes, I find it also funny even if I sing German properly. We sang "Hallelujah" with our choir. There's so much comedy hidden in this histrionic piece. :) My favorite part is when the basses start with "And HE shall REIGN for..." and how the sopranos answer finally "... ... and he shall reign...". :lol: So funny.

The chorus parts sound amazing, a bit dramatic for sure. This could turn out very badly. I'll probably just mouth most of the words and pretend to sing. This was my mother's idea, after all. :)
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I believe, everybody could be able to sing. Learning by doing.
I also think, singing is vibrating the chakras and thus it can be very beneficial, if the music is right.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Ayu wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:15 pm I believe, everybody could be able to sing. Learning by doing.
I also think, singing is vibrating the chakras and thus it can be very beneficial, if the music is right.
Agreed! I sing all the time, just not operatic style or in a choir. I look forward to giving it a shot.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

I don't think I can handel this thread anymore.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

dzogchungpa wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:52 am I don't think I can handel this thread anymore.
Should we Bach it up and start over?
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

TharpaChodron wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:12 am
dzogchungpa wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:52 am I don't think I can handel this thread anymore.
Should we Bach it up and start over?

Touché.
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Quit Messiaen around I’m too Bizet for this crap.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.

Return to “Lounge”