Random Thoughts

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by DGA »

Ayu wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:34 am Again and again it appears to me that doctors do not know as much about life and death as they think.

My friend was put into despair when her father's doctor told her, her father would most probably die within two weeks due to lung cancer. But in reality the father managed to improve and he lived for more than one year after this bad prognosis. This year of life was very important for the whole family. They could clean old quarrels and restore harmony before he died.
I think that's true. And I'm glad your friend and her family had that opportunity with her father.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Robert Beer shared this video on FB a few months ago in which "Dr. Lloyd Rudy, a pioneer of cardiac surgery, tells stories of two patients who came back to life after being declared dead, and what they told him."
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

DGA wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:05 am I'd like to share my thoughts about one of my cats. He's a tired old man named Donovan because he meows like this:

We call him Donnie. He's dirty most of the time and talks too much. "Shut the **** up, Donnie."

Back in May or June, he was declining badly... not eating, pissing in strange places, losing weight. The vet ran some tests and told us that Donnie's kidneys were failing and he'd be dead in three months, so we might as well let him do whatever he wants and eat however he wants.

Since then, Donnie's been living his best life. We let him outside in spite of the traffic because the neighbors feed him all manner of high and lowbrow cuisine. The kids play with him. He swats at the possums and runs from the raccoons. He's back to his normal weight and his kidney function seems to have been restored, which doesn't happen in nature.

:shrug:
My cat, Tulpa, was an indoor cat in LA where I got her from the shelter. She insisted on becoming an indoor/outdoor cat once we moved to our reasonably sized town with loads of stray cats roaming outside our house everywhere. Since then, she's become amazingly healthy and fit. It's like she doesn't even age.

Funny story about her name. I looked for a Tibetan name for her and found "Tulpa" which according to what I read just meant "furry."

Later I found out Tulpa means a magical projection of a wizard, or something like that. She is an independent cat who really doesn't demand attention, but as soon as you sit down and start saying mantras or whatever, Tulpa wants to cuddle up on your lap and purr. Interesting.
justsit

Post by justsit »

Ayu wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:34 amGood story. Again and again it appears to me that doctors do not know as much about life and death as they think
Not sure about European doctors, but American doctors get next-to-no death education. When I worked hospice, we frequently admitted patients whose doctors had told them they had months to live - and they died two days later. Most docs don't know what dying looks like or the normal progression.

Then there were always a few like your friend's dad, who are given a short time frame and live for years. But that is the exception in my experience, rather than the rule.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

TharpaChodron wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:31 am
My cat, Tulpa, was an indoor cat in LA where I got her from the shelter. She insisted on becoming an indoor/outdoor cat once we moved to our reasonably sized town with loads of stray cats roaming outside our house everywhere. Since then, she's become amazingly healthy and fit. It's like she doesn't even age.

Funny story about her name. I looked for a Tibetan name for her and found "Tulpa" which according to what I read just meant "furry."

Later I found out Tulpa means a magical projection of a wizard, or something like that. She is an independent cat who really doesn't demand attention, but as soon as you sit down and start saying mantras or whatever, Tulpa wants to cuddle up on your lap and purr. Interesting.
:thumbsup:

Cats are good. And some cats are great.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Saw "All the Money in the World" last night (with my long awaited Movie Pass). A really great film, despite Michelle Williams' terrible acting imo. What a story. Definitely has something to say about Samsara.

Ridley Scott's work has been lousy lately, but he redeemed himself with this.
Last edited by KristenM on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

I'm headed to the Khandro T'huk T'hik Long Life Empowerment this Saturday at Pema Osel Ling with Lama Pema Dorje. Has anyone else had the empowerment?

Anyone else going?
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Oh my Ārya Tārā... :buddha1:

The artist is Vijay Maharjan...

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

When I was a young man, I would get boozed up and then call people to apologize. For what? Oh, for just about anything, really.

Now I get boozed up and apply for jobs.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

DGA wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:09 am When I was a young man, I would get boozed up and then call people to apologize. For what? Oh, for just about anything, really.
:cheers:

Glad I'm not the only one who apologises for anything when I've had a bit to drink :rolling:
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Finn and Jake enter Lumpy Space by giving a password to a frog sitting on a mushroom in the Cotton Candy Forest.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Is this what it's like to live in Australia? :smile:
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Aye.

Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
boda

Post by boda »

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I want to move to California if I can.

I just submitted a particularly challenging job application that would do the trick.

Now I'm drinking Rock and Rye with a geriatric cat in my lap. This guy is never going to die.

That's what, four or five random thoughts?

Also Rock and Rye reminds me of my childhood. My grandmother drank this stuff like it was the cure for loneliness, and she'd share with me sometimes. I started drinking at age 4. One of my first memories is the taste of Blitz Weinhard beer in a plastic tumbler.
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

I started drinking immediately. Moving on the hard stuff was just the next logical step ...
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

KristenM

Post by KristenM »

i have no idea what rock and rye is, okay, I know what rye is...but rock? my grandma liked seven up and bourbon, maybe similar.

ah,California. I love living here,except it's along way from everywhere else...like Italy. you always have to add an extra five hours to your flights to Europe.
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Maybe they have pure intensions....secret intensions...to blow your mind...like a koan....that's the reason they are eccentric ?
It's a test...to see how authentic YOU are....you know...like all things are illusion....a magic trick....i mean..how can one illusion be more inauthentic than all the other illusions ???
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

DGA wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:54 am I want to move to California if I can.

I just submitted a particularly challenging job application that would do the trick.

Now I'm drinking Rock and Rye with a geriatric cat in my lap. This guy is never going to die.

That's what, four or five random thoughts?

Also Rock and Rye reminds me of my childhood. My grandmother drank this stuff like it was the cure for loneliness, and she'd share with me sometimes. I started drinking at age 4. One of my first memories is the taste of Blitz Weinhard beer in a plastic tumbler.
I like this one. The flow of mental activity and yet we have so many reasons to put meaning into.

But it's not my motivation to post here.

I see that there's not much going on in the meditation thread.

Hence this post how do I stop orgasms during my meditation remains latest post since weeks.

It's so interesting to see how easily my eyes get hooked by that word orgasm when skimming through DW's top page for latest posts :jumping:
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE

Return to “Lounge”