Random Thoughts

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9423
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by DGA » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:56 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:53 am
i have no idea what rock and rye is, okay, I know what rye is...but rock? my grandma liked seven up and bourbon, maybe similar.

ah,California. I love living here,except it's along way from everywhere else...like Italy. you always have to add an extra five hours to your flights to Europe.
Rock and Rye is an old people cocktail. It survived prohibition because it was presented as a kind of tonic for ailments such as cold and flu. The "rock" is rock candy. It's rye whiskey with some sugar and spices and whatnot. It's good so long as it's not too sugary. Closest analogy I can come to might be a Manhattan, maybe.

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9423
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by DGA » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:58 am

weitsicht wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:01 am

I see that there's not much going on in the meditation thread.

Hence this post how do I stop orgasms during my meditation remains latest post since weeks.

It's so interesting to see how easily my eyes get hooked by that word orgasm when skimming through DW's top page for latest posts :jumping:
This is interesting, no? Are people not posting in the meditation sub because they want to keep the word ORGASM at the top there?

I think it's difficult to talk about meditation. I don't really talk about meditation practice at all.

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 724
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by TharpaChodron » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:04 am

With my MoviePass I've seen the following:
All the Money in the World
Downsizing
Star Wars
Three Billboards
Phantom Thread...

All for 10 bucks.

I walked out on Three Billboards (hey, it was basically free) and Phantom Thread was a long, disappointing movie mostly. Did anyone else see Three Billboards and think it to be a terrible, overly violent piece of garbage?

When will the company that started Moviepass go broke? Such a crazy concept I can't believe it can sustain itself.

User avatar
Losal Samten
Posts: 1487
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Losal Samten » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18 pm

I remember when salt and vinegar crisps came in the blue packets, and the cheese and onion the green.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།

User avatar
Losal Samten
Posts: 1487
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Losal Samten » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:49 am

Losal Samten wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18 pm
I remember when salt and vinegar crisps came in the blue packets, and the cheese and onion the green.
Man, I swear I have a memory of complaining to my mother about the change on the way back from primary school.
Walkers wrote:Question: Why did you change your packaging for Salt and Vinegar and Cheese and Onion so they're in the wrong colours?
 
Answer: Contrary to popular belief, Walkers Cheese and Onion have always been in blue packets, and Salt and Vinegar have always been in green packets. We don't have a plan to change this, as it's signature to our brand.
 
Image
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།

amanitamusc
Posts: 1637
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by amanitamusc » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:52 am

Mmore cowbell.

Simon E.
Posts: 6226
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Simon E. » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:48 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:04 am
With my MoviePass I've seen the following:
All the Money in the World
Downsizing
Star Wars
Three Billboards
Phantom Thread...

All for 10 bucks.

I walked out on Three Billboards (hey, it was basically free) and Phantom Thread was a long, disappointing movie mostly. Did anyone else see Three Billboards and think it to be a terrible, overly violent piece of garbage?

When will the company that started Moviepass go broke? Such a crazy concept I can't believe it can sustain itself.
No.
I saw Three Billboards and thought it was wonderful, with Frances McDormand at her best since 'Fargo' and a superb performance from Sam Rockwell.
I know nothing. This is not false modesty.

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 724
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by TharpaChodron » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:32 pm

Losal Samten wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:49 am
Losal Samten wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18 pm
I remember when salt and vinegar crisps came in the blue packets, and the cheese and onion the green.
Man, I swear I have a memory of complaining to my mother about the change on the way back from primary school.
Walkers wrote:Question: Why did you change your packaging for Salt and Vinegar and Cheese and Onion so they're in the wrong colours?
 
Answer: Contrary to popular belief, Walkers Cheese and Onion have always been in blue packets, and Salt and Vinegar have always been in green packets. We don't have a plan to change this, as it's signature to our brand.
 
Image

Crisps are one of the greatest things about the UK, imo. It's not fair you guys get to keep the cheese and onion flavored ones all to yourself.

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 724
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by TharpaChodron » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:33 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:48 am
TharpaChodron wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:04 am
With my MoviePass I've seen the following:
All the Money in the World
Downsizing
Star Wars
Three Billboards
Phantom Thread...

All for 10 bucks.

I walked out on Three Billboards (hey, it was basically free) and Phantom Thread was a long, disappointing movie mostly. Did anyone else see Three Billboards and think it to be a terrible, overly violent piece of garbage?

When will the company that started Moviepass go broke? Such a crazy concept I can't believe it can sustain itself.
No.
I saw Three Billboards and thought it was wonderful, with Frances McDormand at her best since 'Fargo' and a superb performance from Sam Rockwell.
I'll give it another chance. I usually love Frances.

boda
Posts: 2046
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by boda » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:27 pm

TharpaChodron wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:04 am
With my MoviePass I've seen the following:
All the Money in the World
Downsizing
Star Wars
Three Billboards
Phantom Thread...

All for 10 bucks.

I walked out on Three Billboards (hey, it was basically free) and Phantom Thread was a long, disappointing movie mostly. Did anyone else see Three Billboards and think it to be a terrible, overly violent piece of garbage?

When will the company that started Moviepass go broke? Such a crazy concept I can't believe it can sustain itself.
Your critique of Billboards is based on the violence depicted? Did you sit all the way through Star Wars?

User avatar
Losal Samten
Posts: 1487
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Losal Samten » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:00 am

Just noticed I have forehead wrinkles today. Image
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 724
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by TharpaChodron » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:54 am

Today I went to a teaching by Kalu Rinpoche, by chance I learned he was teaching only 1.5 hours away from my home. Never met his previous incarnation, but I was so impressed! :heart:

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by DNS » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 am

Good topic; yes sometimes I feel like writing some random happenings or thoughts, but don't want to make a new thread.

For example, about 9 months ago I saw the movie, Bohemian Rhapsody:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_Rhapsody_(film)

It was very interesting about the life of Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of Queen. The band was at their peak around the time I was in middle-school to high school.

I didn't know he was born in Africa or Zoroastrian (family upbringing).

User avatar
Fa Dao
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Fa Dao » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:05 pm

TharpaChodron wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:54 am
Today I went to a teaching by Kalu Rinpoche, by chance I learned he was teaching only 1.5 hours away from my home. Never met his previous incarnation, but I was so impressed! :heart:
agreed...Ive seen the kid on youtube...hes really got it going on
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 724
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by TharpaChodron » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:41 am

DNS wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 am
Good topic; yes sometimes I feel like writing some random happenings or thoughts, but don't want to make a new thread.

For example, about 9 months ago I saw the movie, Bohemian Rhapsody:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_Rhapsody_(film)

It was very interesting about the life of Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of Queen. The band was at their peak around the time I was in middle-school to high school.

I didn't know he was born in Africa or Zoroastrian (family upbringing).
I didn't know that about Freddie Mercury until the movie either. And it was a really well done movie imo!


My random thought for now: I think Facebook needs to reconsider and add some emoji responses that relate to Buddhist outlook. A lot of the times I'm not wanting to be "sad" or "angry" about something, however I can't "like/love" it either...Perhaps an emoji of a big hug or metta/compassion/peace to express feeling compassion and some hope, rather than feeling a visceral response of samsaric emotions?

narhwal90
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:10 am

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by narhwal90 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:47 am

Why is it that goods transported by ship are called cargo but its considered shipping when the same goods are transported by car?

(alas I didnt think that one up myself)

User avatar
Ayu
Former staff member
Posts: 7134
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am
Location: Europe

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Ayu » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:42 pm

narhwal90 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:47 am
Why is it that goods transported by ship are called cargo but its considered shipping when the same goods are transported by car?

(alas I didnt think that one up myself)
It's the same reason why Greenland is mostly full of ice and Iceland is very green.

But now even the northpole melted.

(I haven't made up this either.)
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Post Reply

Return to “Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Khep, Lobsang Chojor and 49 guests