Breath of Fire!

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
boda

Breath of Fire!

Post by boda »

I've been practicing the Wim Hof breathing method for a week now, prior to morning meditation. It proves to be helpful in calming and focusing the mind, and it's also energizing. The Wim Hof method is supposedly derived from ancient breathing techniques like Tummo and Kundalini 'breath of fire' Yoga.

The Wim Hof method also seems to improve athletic performance to some degree. It definitely helps in cold tolerance. Cold showers and 60-degree ocean swims are much more comfortable after employing the technique.

Anyone one else tried breathing techniques like these?
jkarlins

Re: Breath of Fire!

Post by jkarlins »

I'm familiar with Wim Hof. He is a character. Also an amazing athlete. I'm not sure how friendly people here will be to him, or his technique. It's definitely not traditional dharma.

Jake
boda

Post by boda »

No reason that anyone should be unfriendly. It’s just a breathing method that is conducive to meditation, athletic performance, and perhaps some health benefits. Healthwise, it’s said to boost the immune system and generally reduce inflammation.
Javierfv1212

Post by Javierfv1212 »

It's just rapid heavy breathing (Agni pranayama) followed by holding the breath with Uddiyana bandha

My understanding is that it is not tummo, but more like a preliminary to it. If its helpful thats fine, just don't overdo it
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
A person who is ignorant of this may seek externally,
but how is it possible to find oneself through seeking anywhere other than in oneself?
Someone who seeks their own nature externally is like a fool who, giving a performance in the middle of a crowd, forgets who he is and then seeks everywhere else to find himself.
— Padmasambhava

Visit my site: https://sites.google.com/view/abhayajana/
boda

Post by boda »

It defiantly seems helpful for the things I’ve mentioned, having experimented with it for awhile, but yeah, would not be good to overdo it.

I’m guessing it’s the sudden spike in blood pressure that agrivates tinnitus. Another odd thing I’ve noticed is a strange taste in the mouth that lingers for a day or two after doing the technique. The taste is hard to describe. Kind of dull and metallic I guess. Maybe it’s cause by the blood being too alkaline? Though supposedly the acid/alkaline balance is almost instantly restored after performing the exercise.

Return to “Lounge”