Prince Harry Engaged to Meghan Markle

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Mantrik
Former staff member

Prince Harry Engaged to Meghan Markle

Post by Mantrik »

I'm not at all bothered about Royals, but this is good news.

Some people. however, have raised the ethnicity issues, and challenged the wisdom of the match.

Look, Harry can't help being ginger and people should stop picking on him!
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
florin

Re: Prince Harry Engaged to Meghan Markle

Post by florin »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:56 pm I'm not at all bothered about Royals, but this is good news.

Some people. however, have raised the ethnicity issues, and challenged the wisdom of the match.

She is a professional, very well trained.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

florin wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:23 pm
Mantrik wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:56 pm I'm not at all bothered about Royals, but this is good news.

She is a professional, very well trained.
I was really making an ironic remark. There has been quite a bit of media 'interest' in her black ancestry, which has backfired as black people I know are really pleased about the match. But probably no more interest than in his Royal Gingerness, which many attribute to a father other than Charlie. :)

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

A member of the royal family marrying a divorced woman who is well past her prime and unlikely to produce many children...?

It seems like the royal family will be about as relevant as the church...
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:36 pm A member of the royal family marrying a divorced woman who is well past her prime and unlikely to produce many children...?

Harry is a 'spare heir' so can be allowed some slack. His father could do the same once Diana had produced heirs and could be discarded. Their main relevance is tourism so US folk will bring us much needed dollars to see the nuptuals. :)

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:36 pm A member of the royal family marrying a divorced woman who is well past her prime and unlikely to produce many children...?

Well past her prime? What is this, 1890? Women these days are having children well past 36 years of age. In your view, he should have married a 20 year old who has no clue what she wants. I wonder what dear Diana would say about that, considering her marriage was so wonderful?

And you say she's a divorcee? What about Camilla?

Oh, and the whole "she's mixed-race, and an actress, and American, how un-Royal bit." Poppycock.

I'm not into the Royals, but I'm liking Harry for his chutzpah in actually declaring his true love (it's not our choice whom he loves, after all)...maybe this is part of his rebellion from the stodgy ways of aristocracy, but good on him for being free to marry who he likes. And her choice, as well. This whole conversation reeks of sexism, racism, and elitism.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

TharpaChodron wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:51 amThis whole conversation reeks of sexism, racism, and elitism.

Well, at least it doesn't reek of classism.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

dzogchungpa wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:31 am
TharpaChodron wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:51 amThis whole conversation reeks of sexism, racism, and elitism.

Well, at least it doesn't reek of classism.
Indeed, sir. It's utter balderdash.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

That’s the actress who played the girl who had the knee trembler with Mike Ross in the stationary cabinet (in Suits. That’s what sprang to my mind when I worked out who she was, anyway.)

But nowadays celebrity IS royalty. Money, power, adulation, all of the things that used to be attached to royalty are now associated with celebrity. If she wasn’t a celebrity the reaction might have been less enthusiastic.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

TharpaChodron wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:51 am

Oh, and the whole "she's mixed-race, and an actress, and American, how un-Royal bit." Poppycock.

For once, someone was permitted to choose. Fantastic.
Let's hope this generation of royals are happy in life. After the misery inflicted on those boys by their elders they surely deserve it.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Well past her prime? What is this, 1890? Women these days are having children well past 36 years of age. In your view, he should have married a 20 year old who has no clue what she wants. I wonder what dear Diana would say about that, considering her marriage was so wonderful?

And you say she's a divorcee? What about Camilla?

I'm not into the Royals, but I'm liking Harry for his chutzpah in actually declaring his true love (it's not our choice whom he loves, after all)...maybe this is part of his rebellion from the stodgy ways of aristocracy, but good on him for being free to marry who he likes. And her choice, as well. This whole conversation reeks of sexism, racism, and elitism.
This may be of interest. In North Oxford, which has a large proportion of university teaching Dons in its population, ( for self evident reasons), the average age of first time mothers is... 38.
Like the fragrant Ms Markle those woman have decided to make a career before embarking on the perpetuation of the species.
As to divorce, her future father in law, who is next in line to the throne, is a divorcee.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Mantrik wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:33 am

Let's hope this generation of royals are happy in life. After the misery inflicted on those boys by their elders they surely deserve it.
Agreed, it seems like they should be allowed to be humans. And my comment about the thread wasn't meant towards you, of course.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

TharpaChodron wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:49 pm
Mantrik wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:33 am

Agreed, it seems like they should be allowed to be humans. And my comment about the thread wasn't meant towards you, of course.
:)
Her heritage is a history of racism. On her white father's she has nobility, on her black mother's side slavery (or close to that as a plantation worker). None of this much matters to a couple in love but it helps fuel their committment to improving the present day oppressed and poor in Africa.

Yanako

Post by Yanako »

Sounds like a marriage of love, I'm happy for them then. ;)
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

No reason to complain about this bride. It could be much worse.

This is going around at Facebook.
This is going around at Facebook.
image.jpeg (125.77 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Ayu wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:34 am No reason to complain about this bride. It could be much worse.

image.jpeg

lol :)
:rolling:

Return to “Lounge”