Cutting hair

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Rishin

Re: Cutting hair

Post by Rishin »

justsit wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:21 pm
Motova wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:41 pm It's not an idea, generally woman can only win a fight with a man by attacking the testicles. If she can also pull your long hippie hair then it will make her feel even less threatened. This is science people. Women view men as potential predators. Actually I view men as potential predators as well.
Well yes, balls are first, obviously. Then eyeballs, break the nose, trachea, knees, etc. - vulnerable spots that may actually dissuade an attacker. Pulling hair is waaay down on the list.
Punching or slapping the face is far easier as is grabbing a handful of something. Eyes, throat, knee etc are all small and easily defended targets. Can't believe I've just typed that on Dharma Wheel.

As far as hair length and how it is perceived I think that comes down to cultural association. Shaved heads in the UK at one point would make people uneasy but that's because of the association it had with certain violent groups.
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

When I read the OP's Topic I remembered an interview with a Togden who said he was old and decided to die. Hence he cut his long dreadlocks. But then the Dalai lama came and said his knowledge is precious, he should stay and continue teaching. So he stays and has now straight hair down to the shoulders. Can't remember his Name. It was on YouTube I think.

A friend of mine considers his hair as antenna into the universe. Hence no cutting.

My advice rather would go with master Yoda: Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.
But leaving the habituated trot is good now and then.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

HandsomeMonkeyking wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:56 am So I have been thinking of cutting my long hair ;)

Somehow it feels like it's time, on the other hand...

It made me wonder, why do monks have a shaven head in many traditions?
Does do anything with us psychologically?

Some folks told me that people tend to cut their hair during 'big changes in their lifes'.
In my case this urge to cut it also falls in such a time, funny enough.

I wonder: why?
in india shaving one's head signifies mourning. Also as you remember, Buddha made a robe from funeral garments, used saffron as an anti-septic. Turning one's back on the world is like dying to it, hence such symbolism.

I don't shave my head, i use a #1 or #2
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

Return to “Lounge”