I like this forum

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Tirisilex

I like this forum

Post by Tirisilex »

I'm a member of many forums of different religions and other things. I like this place because when I post a question people try to answer them and they don't judge me when I ask. Unlike a certain Christian forum I'm a part of. Every time I post a question they question my standing with God and they think I'm lost and need to be saved. Big time fear mongers.. I don't get that here and I'm glad. I have seen debates here but they're nothing like at Christian sites where everyone needs to think in a certain manner or else they are lost.
diamind

Re: I like this forum

Post by diamind »

Thanks we like having you here also. We convert people with logic and kindness.

Buddhist should preach and convert people more in my opinion. Maybe on that point, we could do with a new kind of evangelical branch of buddhism.

No idea way buddhist teachers take such a relax approach specially considering we are all on the verge of going to hell. You think they would be going mad and running in the streets to save people.

Anyway welcome to dharmawheel- where enlightenment happens.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Tirisilex wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:04 am I'm a member of many forums of different religions and other things. I like this place because when I post a question people try to answer them and they don't judge me when I ask. Unlike a certain Christian forum I'm a part of. Every time I post a question they question my standing with God and they think I'm lost and need to be saved. Big time fear mongers.. I don't get that here and I'm glad. I have seen debates here but they're nothing like at Christian sites where everyone needs to think in a certain manner or else they are lost.
Yes!! Glad you are here! You can be 'saved' and still 'lost' if you want, LOL
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Motova

Post by Motova »

diamind wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:53 am We convert people with logic and kindness.

Buddhist should preach and convert people more in my opinion. Maybe on that point, we could do with a new kind of evangelical branch of buddhism.

No idea way buddhist teachers take such a relax approach specially considering we are all on the verge of going to hell. You think they would be going mad and running in the streets to save people.
I hope you're not serious.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Kevin
Motova

Post by Motova »

Virgo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:48 am

Kevin
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Just friendly jokes, carry on, please.

kevin
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I have no experience with Christian discussion forums but comparing to some other Buddhist forums I also like this place very much. In my view dharmawheel.net is something very special. This is a grace.
Every forum changes it's face every now and then, depending on the style and attitude of the people who post. So, no forum is always the same and they can be viewed from differing ancles. But no matter what quarrel goes on or what drama is created for short time, DW has a foundation of goodness and good will - this is how I experience this place. :heart:
diamind

Post by diamind »

Motova wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:46 am
diamind wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:53 am We convert people with logic and kindness.

What does everyone keep saying that? Yes I'm serious. Boudha encourage his disciples to go forth and spread the good news.

If karma is true then so many people are planting the seeds for there eternal suffering. Don't you find that disturbing?

Maybe some door knocking and live telecasts is appropriate.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Ayu wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:10 am goodness and good will
The foundation of everything good. :)
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

diamind wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:32 pm

What does everyone keep saying that? Yes I'm serious. Boudha encourage his disciples to go forth and spread the good news.

If karma is true then so many people are planting the seeds for there eternal suffering. Don't you find that disturbing?

Perhaps you might like to meet Nichiren Shonin.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Motova

Post by Motova »

You'll just have to learn the hard way then.

That's the last response you'll get, because I'm as likely to change your mind as you changing others' minds.
passel

Post by passel »

diamind wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:53 am
You’re thinking of Christ- going forth and spreading the good news is literally spreading the gospel.
Pali Buddha says, I think in the vinaya, that after reaching some maturity in practice and understanding, bhikkhus should go wander for the sake of the many.
That seems like some kind of very low key missionizing. We’re not talking Jehova’s Witnesses here.

As for why Buddhists are so chill about hard sell religious raps, 2 ideas:
1) they’ll do anything to take the edge off. Most folks come to Buddhism for peace of mind and are confrontation-averse.
2)Buddhism is a minority religion in a religiously belligerent world. Go along to get along, for safety if nothing else.
3) the major appeal of Buddhism to a whole lot of its converts and potential converts is that it presents itself as the smartest option on the table for living a good life, without the need for hard sell
4) last and most pervasive reason is that almost all the Buddhism in North America and the UK- which is all I really know- is that these centers and teachers are stuck having to promote and sell all the time just to stay afloat, and they can’t alienate customers I mean serious students of the dharma.

None of this would apply to the Ambedkarites tho, which is a significant movement. Conversion is big there (a million at a time I think) but the focus seems to be social liberation foremost. I met one Ambedkarite householder who did meta bhavana as his main practice. It was clearly working, he was one of the most pleasant people I’ve ever been around.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
passel

Post by passel »

Planting the seeds for suffering is disturbing, yes. But if karma is true then suffering is not eternal.

Point is to help people create less overall suffering. You see folks get into Buddhism for weird reasons sometimes and it just makes them worse, makes sanghas un-fun places to be. Better to create viable niche communities of people with serious interest who can then sort of waft into the overculture like sandalwood perfume.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

"Saving" people is usually an exclusively self-centered act, regardless of religion..it's nearly a kind of narcissism. Doing your best to figure out what people are in need of spiritually (like a friend, not like a superior), then doing your utmost to provide if you can, that is the a better approach.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The Buddha taught four means of conversion in order to interest others in hearing the Dharma: generosity, pleasant speech, beneficial conduct, and setting an example. In other words, one has to make oneself an exemplary practitioner. If one does so, then beings will be naturally attracted to oneself and one will not have to stand on street corners like evangelists of other religions.
There is no eternal suffering. Suffering is by definition impermanent and conditioned.
Motova

Post by Motova »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:47 pm

The Buddha taught four means of conversion in order to interest others in hearing the Dharma: generosity, pleasant speech, beneficial conduct, and setting an example. In other words, one has to make oneself an exemplary practitioner. If one does so, then beings will be naturally attracted to oneself and one will not have to stand on street corners like evangelists of other religions.
There is no eternal suffering. Suffering is by definition impermanent and conditioned.
Thank you. :good:

Return to “Lounge”