The Dharma of Star-wars

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Vasana

The Dharma of Star-wars

Post by Vasana »

So I saw the new star-wars film the other day and was struck by how clear the dharma references were this time round. (with some other alchemical and Jungian nods). Anyone else seen it ? I guess it's hard to discuss the new film without including spoilers but let's just say it's very Dzogchen'esque in certain places although it could also be seen as Taoist. I think overall it will have a positive effect on the masses who are able to recognize the main protagonist's early meditative 'vision' of the force as useful spiritual wisdom for real life.

It seems there's already a lot of material out there! I just purchased this late xmas gift for a friend who is into star wars and sympathetic to Buddhism but maybe too lazy or uninterested to actually buy or read a Dharma book any time soon.

'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Vasana

Re: The Dharma of Star-wars

Post by Vasana »

Why The Last Jedi Is More 'Spiritual' Than 'Religious' [spoilers ahead]

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... us/549146/
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Pero

Post by Pero »

https://decider.com/2015/12/11/the-radicalization-of-luke-skywalker-a-jedis-path-to-jihad/ wrote:A more focused study, however, is needed to truly understand that the Star Wars films are actually the story of the radicalization of Luke Skywalker. From introducing him to us in A New Hope (as a simple farm boy gazing into the Tatooine sunset), to his eventual transformation into the radicalized insurgent of Return of the Jedi (as one who sets his own father’s corpse on fire and celebrates the successful bombing of the Death Star), each film in the original trilogy is another step in Luke’s descent into terrorism. By carefully looking for the same signs governments and scholars use to detect radicalization, we can witness Luke’s dark journey into religious fundamentalism and extremism happen before our very eyes.
:stirthepot:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Have not seen the latest installment, but the Force always struck me as the Dao with its dualistic good/dark side, yin/yang, with the Jedi being some sort of Bushido/Daoist Immortal. Buddhism inclines to non-participation in samasara. Buddhists would be some rival sect that would only play a bit part in the story.

Even though Lucas is not writing and directing any more, they've seemed to preserved the lack of racial/racist subtlety... The Force Awakens I thought was by far the best Star Wars movie yet, but they still couldn't help avoid the racial stereotypes with the blind Asian monk who lacks true mastery but is sustained by faith, even reinforced by a mantra/chant, and his burly, loyal friend who in the end takes up the faith, too.

Clearly, Hollywood is now mining Asian tropes for its story lines. Makes sense since Asia is now one of the biggest markets.

:jedi:

Look at that emoji - that is an East Asian trope right there.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:06 pm Asian tropes
We can predict the Ramayana and Mahabharata will be woven into the Star Wars story eventually... And why not? Asian cultures have some really good stories to tell. And the whole New Testament story line with anything good not having a chance of survival in this evil world is played out and frankly, useless.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:06 pm Even though Lucas is not writing and directing any more, they've seemed to preserved the lack of racial/racist subtlety... The Force Awakens I thought was by far the best Star Wars movie yet,
I see, you haven't watched the previous six. If you had, you'd know TFA was the worst of them. :D
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Pero wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:23 pm
Queequeg wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:06 pm Even though Lucas is not writing and directing any more, they've seemed to preserved the lack of racial/racist subtlety... The Force Awakens I thought was by far the best Star Wars movie yet,
I see, you haven't watched the previous six. If you had, you'd know TFA was the worst of them. :D
OMG. ESB might be in the running for the best, but Attack of the Clones? With that ridiculous Jar Jar Binks character? Lucas had all the money and all the time to get those first three parts right and they were in general, bad. So great that he's not involved anymore.

If you're serious, I think we'll just have to leave that discussion dormant.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

I'm personally a fan of the Star wars expanded universe, now called Star Wars Legends.

Oh and the best Star Wars story is the Star Wars: The Old Republic game plotline. :stirthepot:
Pero

Post by Pero »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:10 pm OMG. ESB might be in the running for the best, but Attack of the Clones? With that ridiculous Jar Jar Binks character? Lucas had all the money and all the time to get those first three parts right and they were in general, bad. So great that he's not involved anymore.

If you're serious, I think we'll just have to leave that discussion dormant.
Eh the main evil character (see can't even remember any of the names of the characters in TFA, that's how much it sucked :lol: - I mean that sissy black haired Vader wannabe) in TFA is worse than Binks. You probably meant Phantom Menace, don't think Binks had much of a role after that. Anway when I saw Binks I kind of expected how he's gonna be, did not expect Vader wannabe to be so shitty, expected Darth Maul type instead.

BTW, I still haven't watched TLJ so please warn if spoilers. :smile:
- Shabkar
Pero

Post by Pero »

tiagolps wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:16 pm I'm personally a fan of the Star wars expanded universe, now called Star Wars Legends.

Oh and the best Star Wars story is the Star Wars: The Old Republic game plotline. :stirthepot:
Haven't played that. Played Jedi Outcast 2 and 3 and KOTOR, they were all really good.
- Shabkar
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Pero wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:47 pm worse than Binks.
I'm sorry - you have confirmed your judgment is uncalibrated. Binks, in whichever awful episode he appeared in, has to be the worst character in the whole series. :rolling:
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

There is a well-known story that the character of Yoda was based on the character of Tsenzhab Serkong Rinpoche who was found by one of the films' scouts in Dharamsala. This was reported on Alex Berzin's website and also dicussed in an article on Lion's Roar.

'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Pero

Post by Pero »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:11 pm
Pero wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:47 pm worse than Binks.
I'm sorry - you have confirmed your judgment is uncalibrated. Binks, in whichever awful episode he appeared in, has to be the worst character in the whole series. :rolling:
:lol:
You have to factor in that he is a side character. So, even if when directly compared Binks is worse, when you factor in their respective roles Vader Wannabe easily wins in suckage. :sage:
- Shabkar

Return to “Lounge”