Good west coast wine?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
amanitamusc

Re: Good west coast wine?

Post by amanitamusc »

Virgo wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:52 am
amanitamusc wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:02 am I found a Malbec from Layer Cake and a Kungfu Girl .
I also found this on Layer Cake owner https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=la ... ORM=VDQVAP
Good finds. :thumbsup:

Virgo
Yes they won't disappoint and they were at the local grocery.
Having it with grass fed oz ground beef.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

amanitamusc wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:57 am Are there any good wine companies that are not owned by Gallo or Constellation Brands that are easily found and put out
quality affordable reds and whites?
not from california, try chile or portugal for wines under $8 much better value
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I am scratching my head at the original question, but then I recalled that it's relatively hard to find CA wines on the East Coast, or at least it used to be.....but then I thought, maybe Gallo owns more "labels" than I am aware of....

I'm from the Hudson Valley, but have been living in the SF Bay Area for .....close to 3 decades now. Good west coast wine is like water, here....it's everywhere--buy it in grocery stores, Trader Joes, not to mention good wine shops, etc. Good, drinkable reds and whites are easily obtained for under $10 a bottle. But are they all Gallo and/or Constellation? Are they big Mega Corp reds? Or family-owned businesses? Or can they be both?

Then, there's this:
https://winefornormalpeople.com/brands- ... ng-winery/
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

BTW the staple in my house is Bogle, and some Folie A Deux (a Trinchero brand). I'm partial to Zins and "Meritage blends."
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

amanitamusc wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:57 am Are there any good wine companies that are not owned by Gallo or Constellation Brands that are easily found and put out
I like House Wine. I've been able to find that in the DC area in regular supermarkets. Also: Red Diamond and Hogue.

I agree re: Chile especially
SunWuKong wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 pm not from california, try chile or portugal for wines under $8 much better value
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

DGA wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:42 am
I like House Wine. I've been able to find that in the DC area in regular supermarkets. Also: Red Diamond and Hogue.

I agree re: Chile especially
SunWuKong wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 pm not from california, try chile or portugal for wines under $8 much better value
Santa Rita 120 Cabernet $7.50 - 87 points (my eval)
Los Vascos from Baron Lafite $11.90 - 90 points

very traditional Cabernets, equal to Bordeaux. Not to be found in California.

But i'm on my Fifth Precept LOL this is tempting me :cheers:
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

I've been experimenting with trying a different wine every now and then, trying to find "the One." Napa Cellars cabernet from 2015 is my recent find. Not super cheap, but it has a depth of flavor and body that I've found sadly lacking in other recommendations.

Return to “Lounge”