Good west coast wine?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
amanitamusc

Good west coast wine?

Post by amanitamusc »

Are there any good wine companies that are not owned by Gallo or Constellation Brands that are easily found and put out
quality affordable reds and whites?
boda

Re: Good west coast wine?

Post by boda »

amanitamusc wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:57 am Are there any good wine companies that are not owned by Gallo or Constellation Brands that are easily found and put out
California is lousy with them. I work for a guy that owns and operates a small winery. He buys his grapes from Napa and Paseo Robles and does everything himself except the bottling. They have bottling trucks, little factories on wheels, that will come to your winery as needed. He make great wine but many small wineries not so good.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

I bought this for New Years Eve.....(purely for the bottle ! ) I'm not an expert on wine....I love Reunite Lambrusco...LOL...but the Sophia...I was pleasantly surprised...it tastes as good as the bottle looks ! And it wasn't expensive...about $13-15 at Target.

https://www.francisfordcoppolawinery.co ... a/riesling

I had it with Lobster & Steak.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Who cares, as long as it does not have glyphosate in it?

Though I guess if you're a legit Mahasiddha it doesn't matter if there's glyphosate in it.
Last edited by Grigoris on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed expletives
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

amanitamusc wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:57 am Are there any good wine companies that are not owned by Gallo or Constellation Brands that are easily found and put out
Duckhorn has a second label called Decoy. They make excellent, inexpensive Cabs, Merlots, Pinots, etc., primarily from Sonoma grapes. Average cost 20-25$

Layercake is another even more affordable, but decent quality label, average price, 15-17$. They source wine from CA, Chile, Australia, and France.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

This a good California ORGANIC wine.......only about $10 :

http://www.ourdailyred.com
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Can a Brit make a nod towards the Duxoup range?
How affordable they are in terms of your domestic market I am not sure..but they are quality.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Simon E. wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:25 pm Can a Brit make a nod towards the Duxoup range?
How affordable they are in terms of your domestic market I am not sure..but they are quality.
They are quite reasonable. Nothing more than 25$.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Good..they are a bit more when imported here of course..but quirky and good.

KristenM

Post by KristenM »

When I was in Scotland I was surprised that all I could find of US wines was Gallo. I think they were intentionally trying to serve crap wine in order to maintain the image that US wines are not as good.

Gallo wine comes from my local area. I've heard the Gallos have a family feud, the two brothers sides of the family (Joseph Gallo and Ernest/Julio Gallo). One side of the family is the wine side, and the other is the cheese side. They don't talk to each other. :smile:

A reasonable and popular California wine is Bogle vineyards imo. Pretty affordable too.
Last edited by KristenM on Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Scotland is Scotland..but here in the south of England a wide range of the wines of California and Oregon is available.

KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Simon E. wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:02 pm Scotland is Scotland..but here in the south of England a wide range of the wines of California and Oregon is available.
I should not judge everything by the Tescos in Queensferry, then.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

TharpaChodron wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:46 pm
Simon E. wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:02 pm Scotland is Scotland..but here in the south of England a wide range of the wines of California and Oregon is available.
Believe it or not, we are beginning to re-establish some fine British wines too. They are winning international acclaim. No great surprise, as of course the Romans made their own here.
I was about to recommend a really smooth Sauvignon Blanc from the 'West Coast' of Chile (Valle de Casablanca) which, as with wines from all over the world, is available in our supermarkets. Brits drink vast amounts of wine at home..........or is that just me! ? :)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Nope.. :smile:

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Simon E. wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:29 pm Nope.. :smile:

Thought not! :)

So far my regime, 4 decades old, of strong coffee all day and wine in the evening seems to be a good balance. Good quality coffee (Sumatra Mandheling at the moment) is another topic but in my case related!
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

TharpaChodron wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:59 pm When I was in Scotland I was surprised that all I could find of US wines was Gallo. I think they were intentionally trying to serve crap wine in order to maintain the image that US wines are not as good.

Gallo wine comes from my local area. I've heard the Gallos have a family feud, the two brothers sides of the family (Joseph Gallo and Ernest/Julio Gallo). One side of the family is the wine side, and the other is the cheese side. They don't talk to each other. :smile:

A reasonable and popular California wine is Bogle vineyards imo. Pretty affordable too.
Bogle is great!
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Mantrik wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:46 pm
Simon E. wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:29 pm Nope.. :smile:

Thought not! :)

So far my regime, 4 decades old, of strong coffee all day and wine in the evening seems to be a good balance. Good quality coffee (Sumatra Mandheling at the moment) is another topic but in my case related!
Thanks for the info everyone.I'm of to Walmart. :cheers:
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Mantrik wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:12 pm
TharpaChodron wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:46 pm
Believe it or not, we are beginning to re-establish some fine British wines too. They are winning international acclaim. No great surprise, as of course the Romans made their own here.
I was about to recommend a really smooth Sauvignon Blanc from the 'West Coast' of Chile (Valle de Casablanca) which, as with wines from all over the world, is available in our supermarkets. Brits drink vast amounts of wine at home..........or is that just me! ? :)
That reminds me of the time I asked my guide in Havana if they had Alcoholics Anonymous in Cuba. He replied, "No. We're not anonymous."

I believe it. The Brits love their gardens and horticulture.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

I found a Malbec from Layer Cake and a Kungfu Girl .
I also found this on Layer Cake owner https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=la ... ORM=VDQVAP
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

amanitamusc wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:02 am I found a Malbec from Layer Cake and a Kungfu Girl .
I also found this on Layer Cake owner https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=la ... ORM=VDQVAP
Good finds. :thumbsup:

Virgo

Return to “Lounge”