Job help!

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
MatthewAngby

Job help!

Post by MatthewAngby »

so yesterday after receiving my results, I had to plan to go to a university - I took communications. But then now, I figured a social worker job would be favourable for me - a job that I like and can live through it.

But... is my course the wrong one for such a job ? Because i think it’s already irreversible for my course . I really want to be a social worker though.

Does any Social workers here know of the monthly pay and stuff? And what would you need beforehand - diploma or degree ?

What’s the average working hours for a social worker and what do they do in their daily job life?
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda
amanitamusc

Re: Job help!

Post by amanitamusc »

MatthewAngby wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:43 am so yesterday after receiving my results, I had to plan to go to a university - I took communications. But then now, I figured a social worker job would be favourable for me - a job that I like and can live through it.

But... is my course the wrong one for such a job ? Because i think it’s already irreversible for my course . I really want to be a social worker though.

Does any Social workers here know of the monthly pay and stuff? And what would you need beforehand - diploma or degree ?

What’s the average working hours for a social worker and what do they do in their daily job life?
What state?
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Singapore
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

amanitamusc wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:02 am
MatthewAngby wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:43 am so yesterday after receiving my results, I had to plan to go to a university - I took communications. But then now, I figured a social worker job would be favourable for me - a job that I like and can live through it.

What state?
Singapore ( repost )
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

If you got into Communications, do Communications. All kinds of options and alternatives will present themselves once you actually start. Communications is an excellent discipline as it can be adapted to so many fields. The key thing is to start and to really throw yourself into it. Get cracking on the course you’re offered, and from that basis explore your options.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
justsit

Post by justsit »

Tharpa Chodron here on DW has experience with social work, I think, she may be able to help you.

Singapore may be different, but in the US a Master's Degree is required, pay is not that great, and hours are long. The work can be very rewarding, but very difficult, depending on your clientele. Social workers are found in government agencies, hospitals/home health care/hospice, etc. They help people enroll in assistance programs, find jobs and housing, do counseling, access drug and alcohol abuse treatment, and much more. Many government social work agencies here are understaffed and case loads are large - it can be frustrating.

Google "Singapore Social Work" for some more local information.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

justsit wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:33 pm Tharpa Chodron here on DW has experience with social work, I think, she may be able to help you.

Singapore may be different, but in the US a Master's Degree is required, pay is not that great, and hours are long. The work can be very rewarding, but very difficult, depending on your clientele. Social workers are found in government agencies, hospitals/home health care/hospice, etc. They help people enroll in assistance programs, find jobs and housing, do counseling, access drug and alcohol abuse treatment, and much more. Many government social work agencies here are understaffed and case loads are large - it can be frustrating.

Google "Singapore Social Work" for some more local information.
I am indeed a social worker. I think social work is a great profession, I love it. Yes, it's very challenging and not known for being a high pay field, but it's very rewarding, the cliche is true.

In the US, having a master's degree in Social Work or a similar field (mine is in counseling), is most important. I didn't know what I wanted to do when I got my bachelor's degree, so I got a BA in Asian Studies. So, imo anything is possible.

I work in Child Welfare, my job is a hybrid of helping children and families while also being an official in a legal/government system. I go into some rough areas most days and and then I'm in a court room every week, sitting in front of a judge, dealing with attorneys, as well as my clients. I investigate abuse and neglect, evaluate and assess families bio/psycho/social histories, and write legal reports called Jurisdiction/Disposition reports. It's never boring, that's for sure.
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

I was led into social work in my late 30’s by my religious ideals. I worked at an Episcopal church as the sexton (live-in janitor). Since I lived on the grounds and had access to the buildings, I was able to offer shelter and other support to a few people who came around. It was unauthorized and therefore against the wishes of the governing vestry. And my efforts were amateurish. Staying in the Christian mode, I took courses in pastoral counseling at a nearby seminary, which opened my eyes to the wealth of study and practice in the helping fields. So I went to school to get my masters degree and license in social work.

I dearly loved the idea of becoming ever more competent at providing help to those in need, and I worked very hard at honing my skill. I was considered a pretty good social worker (for a newby). But I never felt truly competent. In the field I found myself walking into people’s lives in a role of one-who-brings-the-answer; but actual lives are far more involved than any training can prepare you for. I did it for five years, but then the position of IT Manager was created in the agency I worked for, and I jumped at that, where I remained for 20 years.

That agency offered very diverse social services, so I was around a lot of social workers. The ones who seemed the “best” to me were the ones who knew the ins and outs of all the locally available resources and also knew the gatekeepers of those resources. They tended to be unassuming and underappreciated, but they were wizards at helping those who needed services work the system.

You have to assess your own situation. But based only on the posts of yours I’ve read here on DW, (and speaking in my role as one-who-brings-the-answer :roll: ), you seem a bit impulsive and impatient. Justsit gave you an excellent overview of the social work field in America, and good advice to ask Tharpa Chodron about her experience. Social work can be a really meaningful calling, and it may be yours. But given that you already have a course before you, I think Wayfarer may be right. You can focus on learning the basics of Buddhism and integrate loving-compassion in just about any field.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Is it possible for me to live the Social workers life if I want more time to practice and have a weekly restraunt dinners? Or do I have to buy and cook my own food ? So maybe a life of average income and a bit of luxury, alongside with more time to practice. I honestly am very afraid of the road ahead - seeing my parents working till late nights some days, with their occasional calls from workmates during holidays or weekends. So I started to think if I could do a job that I love ( helping elderly ) and get paid decently , then I would very much be a freer person ( at least in Asian countries , Singapore is known to be one of the stressful ) . I just want a “lax” and “ working is my playtime “ life.
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Jeff H wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:19 pm

You have to assess your own situation. But based only on the posts of yours I’ve read here on DW, (and speaking in my role as one-who-brings-the-answer :roll: ), you seem a bit impulsive and impatient.
well , I figured that too. Your remark Hit me real hard though. Well I’m curious as to why u would think of me like that? Perhaps I need some change in my impatient behaviour. But the impulsive part... would you mind telling me why You would think like that?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I don't know how the higher education system works in Singapore, but in most countries once you are in a university and registered you have the option of transferring to another course if your initial marks were high enough, or your marks in your first year show that you are talented enough.

So my advice to you would be to get your "foot in the door" by registering and then talk to the Faulty administration about transfer.

When I was studying my Bachelor of Science in Psychology we were given the option of taking Humanity Faculty subjects too and ended up with a double major in psychology and sociology. This meant I could work as a youth worker and social worker initially and now work as a psychologist.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

MatthewAngby wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:30 pm
Jeff H wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:19 pm

You have to assess your own situation. But based only on the posts of yours I’ve read here on DW, (and speaking in my role as one-who-brings-the-answer :roll: ), you seem a bit impulsive and impatient.
well , I figured that too. Your remark Hit me real hard though. Well I’m curious as to why u would think of me like that? Perhaps I need some change in my impatient behaviour. But the impulsive part... would you mind telling me why You would think like that?
Sorry. I didn't mean to upset you with my comments. The first postings I read of yours were about seeking a cloistered life, but you didn't seem to have much background and you hadn't considered that you still needed to provide for yourself. Then you were anxious to save all beings, beginning with crabs in the fish market, by calling on bodhisattvas to use magical powers. Finally, you fell in love with DW and immediately wanted to be a mod. Those experiences were the basis of my saying you seem impulsive and impatient.

Here I think you're asking how to be assured of a life/work balance that will provide meaningful work, adequate comfort, and ample time for Dharma practice. I hope you can get those assurances, but I'm skeptical. I think you have to make a choice with the best information you can get, but it will never be the complete picture. Just get started and be present; pay attention and see how you can tweak or change your situations as they evolve, according to your own driving ambition.

As I said to you in another thread, it also seems to me that you have a lot of potential. Your driving ambition seems to be bodhichitta, so begin laying a solid groundwork in buddhadharma practice -- little by little. It can't happen quickly. While you're doing that figure out what conventional work/study options are available to you and continually integrate your Buddhism with your conventional pursuits. I think that's the best assurance you'll get.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Okay I see now. I realised that social work is very tough - which makes me wonder - is there enough time for practice? Is there enough time to have a good sleep and rest days? Although I must say that social working would , to me, not manifest as a demon I have to bear with everyday . I feel seeing people’s difficulties and hardships in my own two eyes could act as a form of skill full means to enhance my compassion. But how exactly much would one earn for a beginner like me? And for the most advanced and elite , how much is the salary?
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Grigoris wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:38 pm I don't know how the higher education system works in Singapore but in most countries once you are in a university and registered you have the option of transferring to another course if your initial marks were high enough or your marks in your first year show that you are talented enough.

So my advice to you would be to get your "foot in the door" by registering and then talk to the Faulty administration about transfer.

When I was studying my Bachelor of Science in Psychology we were given the option of taking Humanity Faculty subjects too and ended up with a double major in psychology and sociology. This meant I could work as a youth worker and social worker initially and now work as a psychologist.
So I suppose if I take up sociology and communications , I can be a social worker and if I were to change, I can work in like let’s say, movie making companies? Also what is sociology about and is it hard to study ?
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

Get an internship or something and see for yourself.

Before I started working I had many worries that I wouldn't have time for practice etc. Now that I'm working the problem is less about that than managing my time (I'm also in Singapore). If you don't watch shows and play games, you will have a reasonable amount of free time in most jobs (unless you work in investment banking, junior lawyer or doctor etc), the question is what you want to do with it.

You will never earn a lot of money as a social worker. If you are even asking that, I think your motivation is not strong enough to do it.

Something that is somewhat related but which might allow you to make a bit more money is physical therapy, especially for the elderly. Demand will rise with the ageing population, and you are still helping people.
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

When you are young and inexperienced in life, you might have high ideals. Now that I am in my thirties with a wife and three children, I am happy just to be able to support my family.

I don't care too much now about what my job is, just as long as the people I work for aren't abusive. With the job I have now, the pay isn't so great, but I so far like the company and the people I work for.

Return to “Lounge”