Murder Most Foul.

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Simon E.

Murder Most Foul.

Post by Simon E. »

Which of the forum's emoticons would you murder first?

This would be my first choice. :hi:

Obsequious little bastard.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
practitioner

Re: Murder Most Foul.

Post by practitioner »

How about posts only meant to :stirthepot:
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

:namaste: :namaste: :namaste: :namaste: :namaste:
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

practitioner wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:50 pm How about posts only meant to :stirthepot:
But that's my favourite, because it is the most honest. More people should use that emoticon, then their participation would be more honest IMO.

:stirthepot: :spy: :sage: :meditate:
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

:woohoo:

Too firkin' cheerful by half. Needs a good slap with a wet kipper from a Yorkshireman.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Aye...'appen.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

:yinyang:

I don't want it dead, I just don't understand its role on a Buddhist board.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

For those on the mobile, we can use the emoticons that come with the keyboard. 😃

is that cheating?

DW needs these btw:
☸️🙏🌝
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

This one :guns:

Guns are anti-buddhist.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Ricky wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:47 pm This one :guns:

Guns are anti-buddhist.
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

:good:
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

:techproblem: because this is not how our gadgets look like any more

and

:rolling:

because space and message have inefficient coefficient

and

:alien:

there is hardly a context I could think of it'd be of any use

Anyhow, I'd rather miss some in this list: droop, cosily curling cat, yawn, serenity / omm, Full Moon, blue Buddha, prostration, turning of Dharmawheel, turning of Malabeads

And there is a nice one in German "Krönchen richten" that you may translate as "Fall down, stand up, don't look back!"

BTW: what is Lotus Feet?
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Looking at others' suggestions ...

:yinyang: not needed here but at least it's inoffensive.

:guns: is like :stirthepot: :tantrum: and :spy: - not nice, friendly or Buddhist but if we're honest, most of us would have a use for them sometimes.

:alien: is for pointing out that really loony ideas are really loony. Again, not nice but pretty useful. :crazy: is similar but maybe more antagonistic.

My choices?

One I've never even considered using is :ban:

:pig: doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose.

:coffee:
Kim
Pero

Post by Pero »

Tiago Simões wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:51 pm :namaste: :namaste: :namaste: :namaste: :namaste:
Yup, this is the one I'd like killed off too.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

:focus:
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

I would get rid of this one: :thinking:

because it should look like this: Image
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

:sage: This "sage" doesn't look sagacious; it looks like a guy sucking a pacifier. It should go.

I'd like to see this one added: Image which I think I copied from one of dzogchunpa's posts a couple of years ago.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Okay ... I'm honestly puzzled by people rejecting :namaste: but not :anjali:
When one person took aim at :namaste: I went :shrug: but now I'm beginning to think :crazy: since afaik and as far as I can see anywhere online, "anjali" is simply the name of the mudra one makes when saying "namaste", which is the standard greeting word through India.
Here are two typical explanations -
Namaste (Devanagari: नमस्ते; formal: Namaskar) is a common spoken greeting or salutation originating from India. It is a customary greeting when individuals meet, and a salutation upon their parting. Younger persons usually initiate the exchange with their elders. Initiating the exchange is seen as a sign of respect in other hierarchical settings. It is the common greeting in Nepal as well.

When spoken to another person, it is commonly accompanied by a slight bow made with hands pressed together, palms touching and fingers pointed upwards, in front of the chest. This gesture, called Añjali Mudrā (or Pranamasana), can also be performed wordlessly and carries the same meaning.
:reading: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... d%20anjali
From Wikipedia:

Namaste (/ˈnɑːməsteɪ/, nah-məs-tay; Nepali: नमस्ते Bangali: नमोस्कार Hindi: nah-məs-tay), sometimes spoken as Namaskar or Namaskaram, is a respectful form of greeting in Hindu custom, found on the Indian subcontinent mainly in India and Nepal and among the Indian diaspora. It is used both for salutation and valediction.

Namaste is usually spoken with a slight bow and hands pressed together, palms touching and fingers pointing upwards, thumbs close to the chest. This gesture is called Añjali Mudrā or Pranamasana.

In Hinduism it means "I bow to the divine in you".

The greeting may also be spoken without the gesture or the gesture performed wordlessly, carrying the same meaning.
:reading: https://www.quora.com/What-does-namaste-mean

The gesture on its own or with different word/s is far more widespread, of course and it now seems to be spreading through Oz culture (at least) as an alternative to the hand-shake.

:popcorn:
Kim
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Jeff H wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:24 pmI'd like to see this one added: Image which I think I copied from one of dzogchunpa's posts a couple of years ago.

Posts like this make all my hard work here worthwhile.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Pero

Post by Pero »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:49 pm Okay ... I'm honestly puzzled by people rejecting :namaste: but not :anjali:
When one person took aim at :namaste: I went :shrug: but now I'm beginning to think :crazy: since afaik and as far as I can see anywhere online, "anjali" is simply the name of the mudra one makes when saying "namaste", which is the standard greeting word through India.
Here are two typical explanations -
That's because I hadn't even noticed there were two. Actually when I wanted to post at first for few moments I couldn't find even the namaste one, maybe I just subcounsciously blocked it haha. Confusion resolved. :smile:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Return to “Lounge”