A Dictionary of Chinese Buddhist Terms: With Sanskrit and English Equivalents and a Sanskrit-Pali Index

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Motova

A Dictionary of Chinese Buddhist Terms: With Sanskrit and English Equivalents and a Sanskrit-Pali Index

Post by Motova » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:44 pm

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/070071 ... B045&psc=1

What do yall think of this book?

I am learning Tibetan, Sanskrit, Pali, and Chinese and I am of need of good books that can be found on www.amazon.ca.

Thank you.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.

Fortyeightvows

Re: A Dictionary of Chinese Buddhist Terms: With Sanskrit and English Equivalents and a Sanskrit-Pali Index

Post by Fortyeightvows » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:35 pm

I have a copy, it's good, organized by strokes. It doesn't really work so well to find the chinese of a sankrit or pali word (it will usually for names and things like that) , but it will work the other way (you will be able find the chinese of a romanized sankrit or pali term easily).

Alot of it has been put online but without the pali and sankrit index:
http://buddhistinformatics.ddbc.edu.tw/ ... s.ddbc.pdf
http://mahajana.net/texts/soothill-hodous.html

Here is how my copy looks so you can see before you spend the money:
20180124_121623_1_81.jpg
20180124_121623_1_81.jpg (413.8 KiB) Viewed 488 times
p257_38.jpg
p257_38.jpg (145.52 KiB) Viewed 488 times
index_38.jpg
index_38.jpg (146.89 KiB) Viewed 488 times

Motova

Re: A Dictionary of Chinese Buddhist Terms: With Sanskrit and English Equivalents and a Sanskrit-Pali Index

Post by Motova » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:53 pm

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:35 pm
I have a copy, it's good, organized by strokes. It doesn't really work so well to find the chinese of a sankrit or pali word (it will usually for names and things like that) , but it will work the other way (you will be able find the chinese of a romanized sankrit or pali term easily).
Thank you, but can you rephrase that please? Your wording is confusing me.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:08 pm

The one that I use alot is:
Lin, Chong'an, and Houhua Wang. 1991.基本漢藏梵英佛學術語, Basic Chinese-Tibetan-Sanskrit-English Buddhist terminology

It's online here:
http://www.ss.ncu.edu.tw/~calin/dictionary.html

Interestingly enough, the copy that I have gives wylie transliteration for the tibetan.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:15 pm

Motova wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:53 pm
Fortyeightvows wrote:
If you have the romanized pali or sankrit, then you can easily use this book to find out the chinese.
If you only have the term in chinese, you may or may not be able to find the sanskrit or pali.
For names and things that were transliterated into chinese it usually gives the sankrit or pali.

I just looked at the amazon link you put up, I didn't even need to take pictures of my copy! You can touch the top left where it says 'look inside' and see some pages of the book. my copy is just like the one on amazon but with a different cover. If you look at it you'll see what I mean.

But like I said, almost the whole thing is online, unless you are starting from the sankrit/pali, you may or may not want to spend the money on the book.
Take a look at the other book I suggested and see what you think. It's obviously not as comprehensive as soothill though.

Motova

Post by Motova » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:21 pm

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:15 pm
Motova wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:53 pm
Fortyeightvows wrote:
If you have the romanized pali or sankrit, then you can easily use this book to find out the chinese.
If you only have the term in chinese, you may or may not be able to find the sanskrit or pali.
For names and things that were transliterated into chinese it usually gives the sankrit or pali.

I just looked at the amazon link you put up, I didn't even need to take pictures of my copy! You can touch the top left where it says 'look inside' and see some pages of the book. my copy is just like the one on amazon but with a different cover. If you look at it you'll see what I mean.

But like I said, almost the whole thing is online, unless you are starting from the sankrit/pali, you may or may not want to spend the money on the book.
Take a look at the other book I suggested and see what you think. It's obviously not as comprehensive as soothill though.
Thank you. :)

Return to “Lounge”