What Did You Eat Today ?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Simon E.

Re: What Did You Eat Today ?

Post by Simon E. »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:33 pm I had a piece of sprouted grain sesame seed toast (extra crunchy), with Marmite :smile:
At first i put a microscopic layer...then i added a little more...it reminded me of strong cheddar cheese....the texture is like a thick honey....you could probably use it for glue...haha....anyways....i still like it ! Am i officially a Brit now ?

Do you refrigerate after opening ? (I did.) I can't see anything on the label that says one way or another....
Yes, welcome aboard, you are now an honorary Brit..You have passed the Marmite test!

You don't need to keep in the fridge. Just keep the lid on, or it will become even thicker!
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I made a nice mushroom goulash today.
Fresh mushrooms ( I used chestnut mushrooms for their firm texture). A supermarket pack, diced.
Dried porcini ( optional but they add extra flavour) a few ounces.
2 onions chopped fairly finely.
I peeled diced carrot.
I stick of celery, diced.
3 cloves of garlic chopped and mashed.
1/3 pint of buttermilk or diluted yoghurt.
dried herbs.
pinch of allspice.
Heaped tablespoonful of sweet paprika.
squeeze of tomato puree.
1/4 pint veg stock. I used knorr stockpot.

Soak dried porcini for 20 mins. Chop fine.
Gently sweat carrot, celery, and onions and garlic in a little oil until soft..add fresh and dried mushroom and fry gently for five more minutes. Add buttermilk and veg stock, tomato puree..herbs and spices and reduce over a low heat until thickened..taste for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper to taste if necessary.
I served it with buttered noodles and a topping of grated parmesan cheese.

A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Sounds delish. Simon !
Right now I'm having thick cut home style whole grain toast, a little burnt,buttered & DRZZLED with olive oil & heaped with toasted sesame seeds, and drizzled with mango pickle juice & a few chunks of mango pickle....washing it down with pineapple/peach kombucha
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I'm well chuffed.

A did tempura for the first time in ages..in the past my attempts have been a bit hit or miss.
This time I did my research, the two elements which made a difference were a) Using ice cold fizzy water and b) Using a culinary thermometer.
I followed a standard recipe flour, beaten egg, water a little salt and pepper. I also added a pinch of dried dill.
I then coated and fried the veg, carrot, leek, onion and cubes of pre-cooked potato, in two batches making sure the oil reached 375 degrees F. first.
Result ..delicious crisp batter outside. Soft yielding veg inside.
A sprinkle of soy and gomasio.. and Bobs your uncle.

A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

:twothumbsup:

I have never attempted to make tempura....but have deep fried fish in Panako. DELISH...

All week I've been eatting toor dal.
Then my teacher called me last night and said he's comming to visit me....so i was up late making more.....then I'll make another Indian dish.....don't know what it's called, but you saute paneer, red, green, yellow peppers ,Indian spices, little tomatoe paste & cream.....
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Sounds good Sandhi...paneer is tasty. I have tried making it..haven't got it quite right yet, but its extra good when fresh.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Cauliflower and Leek Red Leicester Cheese bake with peas and carrots.
Simply amazing.
Sometimes British food is of the Gods.
I admit fully, very fully, that my wife having been a cookery teacher and catering lecturer may have something to do with it.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Red Leicester is good. I am a cheese heretic. I'll take English cheese over French any time..

Good quality mature Cheddar, Double Gloucester, Stilton, Wensleydale...etc etc..

treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Mantrik wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:01 pm Cauliflower and Leek Red Leicester Cheese bake with peas and carrots.
Wow. Would you care to share the recipe?
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:36 pm
Mantrik wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:01 pm Cauliflower and Leek Red Leicester Cheese bake with peas and carrots.
Wow. Would you care to share the recipe?
She doesn't use recipes. :)
Chop up two leeks and one cauliflower, select the best bits, simmer until soft.
Put into bowls and grate cheese onto the top and then melt in oven or microwave.
Simmer peas and carrots in the meantime.
Serve up.
Beats a pizza and is probably cheaper. :)

This is very similar:
http://www.community-harvest-whetstone. ... pasta-bake
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Ta!!
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I am making what we this side of the Atlantic call Macaroni Cheese and what I believe American call Mac n'Cheese today.
Something that makes a big difference to the flavour and not all recipes suggest, is that you chop or grate one onion, one biggish carrot, and a stick of celery, plus a bayleaf and any fresh or dried herbs that you have to hand..heat the milk that you are going to use according to the recipe that you are following and macerate the veg and herbs in the hot milk for an hour or so.

Drain the milk and then use it as usual.

I find the used veg when cooled makes a nice base for a salad.

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

Simon E. wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:13 pm I am making what we this side of the Atlantic call Macaroni Cheese and what I believe American call Mac n'Cheese today.
Something that makes a big difference to the flavour and not all recipes suggest, is that you chop or grate one onion, one biggish carrot, and a stick of celery, plus a bayleaf and any fresh or dried herbs that you have to hand..heat the milk that you are going to use according to the recipe that you are following and macerate the veg and herbs in the hot milk for an hour or so.

Drain the milk and then use it as usual.

I find the used veg when cooled makes a nice base for a salad.

Wow... That is the most interesting way I've ever heard of Mac n cheese!!
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

I'm on an avocado kick... For the past 10 years.

Today had stirfried baby eggplants, California Chiles and baby portobellos in garlic and cilantro, then a side of wild Alaskan salmon with an amazing multi-chile salsa and lots of fresh avocado.

My husband usually does the cooking and makes amazing Mexican salsas and many styles of guacamoles...

He said he's making quesadillas in hand made corn tortillas in an hour with Oaxaca cheese he just picked up at the local market, shredded beef and a different salsa I think green tomato based. The kids will be thrilled. Of course also served with avocado which makes everything better.

When you can get organic avocado as cheap as we do... It's a daily staple.
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Dessert last night was ... culturally peculiar, let's say, but nice: baked apples stuffed with dried fruit served with green tea ice cream
The apples were home-cooked but the ice-cream was store bought.

We do the applies in the microwave for speed and convenience - you don't get the burnt-caramel flavours but that's all you lose - and use apple juice instead of sugar syrup to cut down on the sweetness a bit.

Making the matcha ice cream isn't hard. Here's a recipe if you want to try it - https://www.japancentre.com/en/recipes/ ... atcha-aisu

:stirthepot:
Kim
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

beans, 2 dishes, so i have too much air element now :shrug:
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Wu Wei

Post by Wu Wei »

I'm an ovo-vegetarian

Breakfast was fine, quinoa with raisins, honey and a bit of almond milk

Lunch however was not fine, I was rushed, I was hungry, letting the day get the best of me, and I needed lunch, had to get back work so I had a turkey sandwich in a coffee shop. Had not had one of those in many months, it tasted fine. However I spent the next few hours feeling like I had a 20 pound weight in my stomach.

later dinner was grits and am egg white omelet with broccoli and carrots in it.
- Nothing in this world is difficult, but thinking makes it seem so. Where there is true will, there is always a way. - Wú Chéng'en
- A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Muhammad Ali
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Today marks the anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr's assassination and it so happens we're eating homemade red beans and rice and jalapeño cornbread tonight. It's a typical Southern meal. Put some extra hot sauce in the beans and maybe even some avocado since I'm in California.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

A few years ago the term was coined 'Aloha Amigo' it came from the title of an album which featured Spanish songs played on Hawaiian guitars... 8-)
It came to mean the mixing of cultures as found in these times.

So, a real 'Aloha Amigo' recipe. Paneer Goulash!

You need
an onion preferably a sweet white one.
garlic, two cloves mashed.
two medium size potatos cooked but still firm.
a largespoonful of paprika
a teaspoonful of toasted caraway seeds
mixed herbs
tomato puree large dash
a block of paneer.
veg stock.Enough to cover the vegetables
a squeeze or spoonful of honey

Lightly sautee the onion without browning it.
Add the herbs, potato, and caraway, the paprika, the tomato puree and veg stock..reduce stirring occasionally.
In an oiled pan lightly fry the paneer until it is golden brown on both sides.
Slice into diamond shapes and add to the sauce.
Reduce slightly until all the ingredients are covered in sauce.

Serve with noodles. Aloha Amigo!

( I made it even more culturally confused by grating some parmesan cheese over it after serving.)

bokki

Post by bokki »

nothing, today i ate nothing
like, i have to to eat every day?
today, nothing.
ok
maybe ill eat some bread and whatever..
but..
today, all day...